shape
carat
color
clarity

Adding a cup to an existing ring

emmalina1

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is possible to change the gallery (or underneath) of an existing ring without changing the rest of it.

I have a cape diamond set by a store in South Africa. We had the setting made custom, but as we were time pressured (on vacation) we had to go home, even though I wasn't happy with the underside. Having done some more research, I would also like to make the underside gold to play up the color, along with the gold prongs.

Do you know if it is possible to do this to an existing ring? It is probably complicated by the fact is a pave halo. If it is possible, anyone have a recommendation in the UK to do the work?

Thanks!

PS photo to come later...

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
it is possible to do nearly anything to an existing ring. Complications are greater if it made from a high temp alloy like platinum or palladium, but you can still make a lot of changes without issue. As long as you can get to the places that you're wanting changed it's pretty easy, but if you try to make changes in areas that are now mostly covered by other parts, it can become difficult to impossible to make changes. Pictures would help to show just what you want changed and I'm waiting in total suspense!

emmalina1

Rough_Rock
Hahahha hope you didn't hold your breath for these shocking cell phone pics!

img_20160106_221417487.jpg

img_20160106_221608765.jpg

If you look at the side view you'll see its not symmetrical. Could you cut that out and replace with a gold cup? And if so would there be a big impact on color?

Thanks so much!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The more your diamond leaks/windows the more a cup will help.
IOW the more your diamond leaks/windows the more you'll look right through it and see the yellow of the cup.

Try this:
Cut a little square of red paper (actually, any color) and slide it under the diamond.
Now look down into the top of the diamond.
The more red you see, the more a cup will help you see the color of the cup instead of the body color of the diamond and/or the color of your finger's skin.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That side shot makes the area under the halo look as if it's made like a trellis, with wires that cross over each other. In any case it should be possible to put a different support structure under the halo and diamond. I'm not sure that a cup is what you want, since you want anything under there to drain water rapidly and dry out as fast as possible once wet...not to mention being able to clean it. If you removed all the existing structure under the halo you could probably put in the sort of "X" structure that's common with these types of rings. The wider the arms of the "X" are the more you'll see the color from the side. The problem with adding color to a diamond by putting colored gold under it is that there are very few diamonds which are cut poorly enough to show a significant window. With a critical angle of around 25°the pavilion of a stone which leaks badly would be VERY flat and your's doesn't look flat enough to do that. I don't know any jewelers in the UK, but I know that there are some very fine bench people working there, so maybe just take a walk one day and talk it up with a few people in different shops?

emmalina1

Rough_Rock
Thanks both - I think I will take it in and see what can be done. I did try the paper trick and I seemed to see a hint of color if I looked at an angle.. Will let you know how I go!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results