shape
carat
color
clarity

Addicting! Decisions! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
I was all set to buy my wife a diamond eternity ring for our 2oth anniversary. Then because of this forum I started poking around on goodoldgold.com and looking at larger single diamonds. Ohhhhhhhh! Now I don''t know what to do. Should I present her with a single nice H&A approx 1 ctw F VVS2 OR a 3 ctw (18 diamond)G VS1 eternity band???? Browsing diamonds and images can be addicting. Too bad I can only go for one at best!
thanks,

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh...hands down, the 1 carat stone! Especially one that nice. A thick band is nice with a lot of diamonds, but the single stone really makes a statement, no matter what the setting. I don't even have a wedding band, because it felt too cluttered to wear. Just one opinion of an over 45 wench.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey DJ~

The eternity bands with the diamonds all around are gorgeous to look at but not really practical. Unless your bride takes the ring off every time she does something, there will be a chance to ding a diamond while grabbing something. Not that diamonds break easily, but they can get scratched messing up the polish. Also, when I am out, sometimes I find myself in a place where I like to be able to turn my rings around so it looks like a band only, not showing the stones, if you catch my drift.

Strictly from a resale point of view, you'll be better off with larger diamonds. The invisible sets and eternity bands are a lot of little parts (diamonds) whose sum total does not equal the same value as one bigger diamond. Financially speaking, the better route is 1 big diamond, or the 3 stone look of 2 smaller and 1 larger diamond.
2.gif

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the input. Since this is an anniversary ring I wasn't sure that a single stone would be appropriate. My wife wears her engagement ring and wedding band all the time and I do not think she would want to "replace" it on her left hand with something different. (it is a very nice but small .23 ctw solitare and small 5-stone band) I was thinking a solitaire diamond ring on the right hand might not look appropriate or compete with her left hand. She is not one to wear much jewelery. A three stone ring could be an option; I tend to resist beacause of all the marketing hype. I know, dumb reason. To me the older style, graduated 5 stone ring is nicer. Maybe about a .5-.7 ctw for the center, (2) .25 ctw on either side and (2) .1 ctw on the outsides. Too many ways to go!

Are there any recommended jewelers that will work with the ring portion as well as provide the stones?

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight. I know she would like a larger diamond. See my other reply for more indecision. Perhaps I could just present her with a diamond and we could pick out a setting together. I am a woodworker so I could make a really nice presentation box out of ebony. Hmmmm.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I know what you mean about one hand competing with the other. I only wear my rings when I am going out somewhere. I have an "everyday" ring I trade off to my right hand for those occasions. It definitely does not compete with my wedding set. I like the idea of the 5 stone graduated too.

Trade Shop works in conjunction with Affordable Diamonds. TS will work with you to custom make a very special and unique ring. They have a really great website full of pics that might give you some ideas.

I know White Flash and Good Old Gold sell mounts and will set the diamonds for you. I am sure there are probably other PS vendors that do as well. Those 2 just jumped off the top of my head.

Good Luck with your anniversary ring project! The handmade presentation box will be an extra special touch!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results