shape
carat
color
clarity

Adapting wedding band into e-ring

cytsirhc

Rough_Rock
Hey Pricescopers,

Been lurking the forums so that I can drop hints to BF about what I envision my dream ring to look like.

I LOVE the band of the David Yurman Unity engagement ring but from what I've read on here and elsewhere on the internet, the rings are way overpriced for the quality and size of diamond you get.

wr1080rpl.jpg

I know that designers won't copy existing designs, so I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase the wedding band of the same style from Yurman (http://www.davidyurman.com/products...html?lpos=PLP-45&item=wr3080 pladi&source=plp) and have a designer like Victor Canera or Steven Kirsch modify the band and set a centre stone over it?

And if not...are there any designs that you've seen that comes close to the DY?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am guessing they wouldn't do that. But asking them will confirm that for you.

You could request that they create one "inspired" by this DY setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That particular design is not one that I feel would be copyrighted. It's too generic. Unless the head is really unique in the profile. I know that there are several settings, just off the top of my head, that are near exact to that.

I would request an inspired by of that setting from one of the pave experts typically recommended on this forum (CAD or handforged, that design is flexible). I would only do the diamonds 3/4 of the way around on the shank. Not all the way.

Do you know what the budget is going to be? If so, we can give you actual vendors to recommend to him.

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
I love DY and thought about resetting my diamond into one of their settings. I was told they don't do that...you have to purchase diamond from them. I think you could find something very similar to what you like and then go get the band at dY if you want it from there. I am currently upgrading my diamond....I had my previous one set In a very beautiful, blingtastic setting. Problem is, I was afraid to wear it as bling all over it and didn't want to scratch etc. so, gypsy makes a good point in not having the diamonds go all the way around, if it's something you absolutely love , no biggie, just take care while wearing. I'm hard on things so this time doing simple setting. Will bling it up with eternity rings etc.
Oh and, yes, DY is marked so high, it kills me that I love his stuff because I know with his silver pieces I own, I pay a premium that I wouldn't be paying elsewhere. But, I love the pieces that I have.

cytsirhc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments so far, friends!

I checked out David Klass and it looks like he does some beautiful work. Haven't seen much on James Allen that I like tbh.

Gypsy, I'm surprised that you don't think the band design would be copyrighted since I would've thought it would be generally accepted that the cabling aspect is very Yurman-esque. All the better for me if you think it's something designers would be open to creating an inspired piece from.

I honestly have no idea what the budget is; we haven't talked about it but please keep ideas coming, they'll be great hints for me to drop to steer him in the right direction.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Instead of dropping hints, I would recommend you start flexing the communication muscles that are so vital in a marriage. You clearly are a woman who knows what she wants. Be direct about it and just approach him to discuss the ring acquisition as a team. He can surprise you with the proposal (within the return period), so you get input on the ring and you get a surprise too. There's nothing wrong with the direct approach. In fact it is often much more effective than the 'dropping hints' approach that, given how dense some of our SOs can be, results in a exercise in frustration for both of you.

Regarding the design. I'm pretty sure I've seen that design on Adwar at least. And Stuller also has something similar. So at this point, again unless the profile of that head shows something really unique (and that can easily be changed the 20% needed for copy right), there is nothing about that shank I consider unique to DY.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't see anything resembling it on Adwar's web site, but here's the Stuller mounting that comes the closest; it's available in platinum or 14K white or yellow gold with heads for a 5.2 mm, 5.8 mm, or 6.5 mm, round center stone (probably could order a head to fit a different size or shape of center stone):
http://www.stuller.com/products/122673/?groupId=125637
Unfortunately, it's a new enough style (introduced Fall 2015) that it doesn't appear in any of the Stuller catalog PDF's found online, so I can't give you a rough estimate as to prices; you'll have to ask a jeweler to retrieve prices if it interests you at all.

And here's the portal page on Stuller's web site to all their twisted styles:
http://www.stuller.com/search/results/?query=twisted+engagement+ring&centerStone=&sortby=relevance&pageSize=72

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results