shape
carat
color
clarity

Ack! Spiders!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
With the warming weather of April, the local spider population came out in FULL FORCE over the weekend. Overnight, a rather intimidating spider decided he (she?) liked the chaise lounges and new shade umbrella we put out on our terrace. The little beast has generated a rather intricate web between the two and is currently crouched smack-dab in the middle awaiting a swarm of insects-- or perhaps even a small, unsuspecting bird.

I normally have a live-and-let-live attitude towards bugs, but I will *never* be able to enjoy those loungers if I think a spider population is crouched in the crevices, awaiting the chance to bite me somewhere that a bikini does not cover.

What do you do to pest-control spiders? Other than a rolled-up newspaper, is there any effective way to either kill them or make their choice of locale less desirable? Are there any sprays that repel them? Has anyone ever tried those ultrasonic pest repellent devices you plug in, and do they work? Help!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I don''t even know why I clicked on this thread lol.

I''m on medication for arachnophobia. It got so bad when I was 15 that I stopped leaving the house, I wouldn''t go to the barn to ride my horse, etc.

I wish you luck! And where ever you are, I don''t wanna go there!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know any methods of spider control other than sending DH/FI/SO out and getting rid of them.
5.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 5:29:16 PM
Author: Feralpenchant

I''m on medication for arachnophobia. It got so bad when I was 15 that I stopped leaving the house, I wouldn''t go to the barn to ride my horse, etc.

Seriously? There are meds for that??? Holy cow, I need some! I''m so phobic its not even funny. Last year, my ex-husband put up motion lights around our house. One was on the front steps that I used to go inside. I usually don''t get home until 9 or later at night, so its always dark. Well these darn lights illuminated all these webs around the door and steps to go inside. Husband wasn''t coming home til the next day.......I just stayed in my car til dawn.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 5:40:23 PM
Author: joflier
Date: 4/20/2009 5:29:16 PM

Seriously? There are meds for that??? Holy cow, I need some! I''m so phobic its not even funny. Last year, my ex-husband put up motion lights around our house. One was on the front steps that I used to go inside. I usually don''t get home until 9 or later at night, so its always dark. Well these darn lights illuminated all these webs around the door and steps to go inside. Husband wasn''t coming home til the next day.......I just stayed in my car til dawn.

Not specifically, but Seroquel is an anti-anxiety medication and it has seriously given me my life back.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We use Bug Max. Supposed to work for 6 months but I think it''s more like 3. We spray it around the foundation of the house and garages inside and out. So, it only gets the bugs that walk thru it. For a visitor already taken up accommodations, I''d just spray bug spray directly on it. I don''t hold back when it comes to spiders. Hairspray, window cleaner, I don''t care, so long as I can spray it and it dies.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Our apartment has a professional exterminator on call, and over the summer we requested they spray every week or so and I''m usually home during the summer to see them spray. Our back patio was still soooo infested with spiders that I absolutely refuse to go out there unless it is 30 degrees or less outside.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 5:30:58 PM
Author: lliang_chi
I don''t know any methods of spider control other than sending DH/FI/SO out and getting rid of them.
5.gif

Ditto - that''s my general strategy with insects of all kinds
3.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I'm terrified of spiders but my love of all living things prevents me from killing them.

I basically use a broom to gently move a spider in a web to a different location. If it's a grass spider that has made its way into the house, I trap it under a glass, wedge a thick piece of paper under the glass (so the spider is standing on the paper and not the floor) and then move the whole contraption outside, where I release it.

We also use that repellent that you spray along the perimeter of your house. It works very well.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are both unfazed by spiders, in fact I don''t mind having huntsmans in/around the house, so long as they respect my personal space
9.gif
They are the most wonderful bug killers! However being in Australia we are fortunate to be home to several very nasty venomous species
20.gif

I hate killing any bug, however I came across a rather large Redback whilst cleaning the guest bathroom last week... I''m afraid she had to go squish. They''re too dangerous to mess with.

My mum is a terrible arachnophobe. Once, she encountered a huge huntsman in the hallway, and was so distressed at having no flyspray handy that she covered the intruder in hair spray. The poor thing was still alive, but frozen stiff once the spray went dry!!
41.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Bleck! I hate spiders, and had a serious phobia when I was younger. I''ve gotten over it a bit, but I still don''t like them for sure! I found one in my bed once and had trouble sleeping for MONTHS! SO GROSS!!! But I live in Florida so they''re everywhere! I have pest control that comes and sprays every few months. It (supposedly) kills all the poisonous spiders, but some of the little black ones seem to escape it, as well as some roaches and palmetto bugs. Yuck! I wish I knew of something more effective, but I don''t.
7.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 8:55:16 AM
Author: DandiAndi
DH and I are both unfazed by spiders, in fact I don't mind having huntsmans in/around the house, so long as they respect my personal space
9.gif
They are the most wonderful bug killers! However being in Australia we are fortunate to be home to several very nasty venomous species
20.gif

I hate killing any bug, however I came across a rather large Redback whilst cleaning the guest bathroom last week... I'm afraid she had to go squish. They're too dangerous to mess with.

My mum is a terrible arachnophobe. Once, she encountered a huge huntsman in the hallway, and was so distressed at having no flyspray handy that she covered the intruder in hair spray. The poor thing was still alive, but frozen stiff once the spray went dry!!
41.gif

I watched a video on huntsman spiders one day. Sometimes I watch videos when I'm feeling brave to try to use visuals to overcome my fears, it never works. But this video was about how huntsman spiders like to hide in the visors in your car and come out while you're DRIVING!?!??! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! I would die of heart failure before I even crashed my car. At first I was like yeah right, like that happens very often. And then below the video were all these Australian people saying "oh yeah, that happened to me yesterday!", or "MAN, that happened to me twice last week!"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People used to say "you'll be fine as long as you stay in a big city like Sydney." Okay. Well then I saw a video on Sydney funnel web spiders. THEY ONLY LIVE IN SYDNEY.

I used to want to go to Australia so bad. Not. No. More.

I'll just have to go to South Africa to fulfill my dream of swimming with Great Whites.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:22:25 PM

I watched a video on huntsman spiders one day. Sometimes I watch videos when I''m feeling brave to try to use visuals to overcome my fears, it never works. But this video was about how huntsman spiders like to hide in the visors in your car and come out while you''re DRIVING!?!??! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! I would die of heart failure before I even crashed my car. At first I was like yeah right, like that happens very often. And then below the video were all these Australian people saying ''oh yeah, that happened to me yesterday!'', or ''MAN, that happened to me twice last week!''

People used to say ''you''ll be fine as long as you stay in a big city like Sydney.'' Okay. Well then I saw a video on Sydney funnel web spiders. THEY ONLY LIVE IN SYDNEY.

I''ll just have to go to South Africa to fulfill my dream of swimming with Great Whites.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Oh good lord! One of my biggest fears is having a spider coming creeping down in front of me while I''m driving. I will die. I will go into cardiac arrest and crash my car. No joke - I have a can of raid sitting in the cup holder in the center console for any such emergencies.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''d take snakes, rodents, or just about anything over spiders. I''ve insisted that DH come home from work mid-day to deal with a 5-inch, hairy wolf spider on the ceiling before. DH is my exterminator of choice, but otherwise I prefer the vacuum cleaner with the wand at full-extension. I always get creeped out if I feel them rattling up the hose, though.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol
I have had a huge banana spider living in my apartment all winter.
I moved her outside just the other day.
They usually don't live beyond a year but she will as long as it don't get below 20 out.
I wont post a pic and freak anyone out lol.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I just googled "huntsman spider".

I might get over my "love of all living things" if I saw one of THOSE in the house!
32.gif

I live in TX, so really the only spiders we have to worry about are black widows and the brown recluse. But they are SMALL in comparison to the big, hairy, scary things that are in other countries!

ETA:
Must. Stop. Googling. Spiders. Banana spiders are freaky looking! Ahhhh!
So glad I have pets to eat anything that comes inside.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ick, why did I click back in here? Huntsman and banana spiders? I''m sooo not googling that. I about passed out when I got an email with a picture of a camel spider (I think it was called).

But Feral-you like sharks??? Me too!!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Oh disgusting!!!!! Why did I feel the need to google those? AUGH!
32.gif
And right before I go to bed, too. Smart, Jodi. Real smart.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 10:23:50 PM
Author: packrat
ick, why did I click back in here? Huntsman and banana spiders? I''m sooo not googling that. I about passed out when I got an email with a picture of a camel spider (I think it was called).

WOOT WOOT! LOVE sharks!! My cousin said she will dive with me with Great Whites if we go in cages, but she won''t swim with them without cages. What a scaredy-cat
3.gif

I''d do it. If I survive it then my dream will be fulfilled, and if I don''t, that''s a pretty epic way to die! LOL.

What can I say, I''ve just always wanted to swim with them! They''re beautiful and don''t think they''re the killers they are portrayed to be. As long as I don''t bathe in fish juice beforehand, I truly believe I will be fine.
4.gif

But spiders? Nope. If you offered me 1 million dollars to hold a daddy long legs, I seriously would not do it. Sorry. My sanity is too important and an experience like that would be too crippling to my sanity and future wellbeing for me to risk it, even if it would make me a millionaire.

And the saddest part about that, is it''s 100% true. LOL.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 7:48:24 PM
Author: strmrdr
lol

They usually don''t live beyond a year but she will as long as it don''t get below 20 out.

IN YOUR APARTMENTTTT!?!?!?!? Crazy crazy. You brave man.

One time, a spider made her web on the outside of my bedroom window (right next to the head of my bed). After a few days of me waking up and having a darn panic attack when I saw her, I accepted that she was there, I named her Molly, and every night I would shine the flashlight on her web through the window so moths and little bugs would come to the light so she could have food. One day my mom was like "If you like her so much, why don''t you open your window and let her in?" I remember the face I gave her.
32.gif
32.gif
ARE YOU CRAZY!? She''s fine where she is, thanks. Eventually she died. I think she gorged herself to death. Probably my fault. OH WELL!

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
I can''t believe all you ladies are terrified of spiders! Most are totally harmless and not poisonous and eat tons of pesky flies and insects and not people. I just take a newspaper and run it thru their web, they usually are hanging off a web strand and then I relocate them to a tree or bush. Don''t mess with the black widows or brown recluse spiders however. My science teacher had some tarrantulas, those are so cool to have them crawling over your hands. Feels pretty funny!!!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 12:41:05 AM

lol

They usually don''t live beyond a year but she will as long as it don''t get below 20 out.

IN YOUR APARTMENTTTT!?!?!?!? Crazy crazy. You brave man.

One time, a spider made her web on the outside of my bedroom window (right next to the head of my bed). After a few days of me waking up and having a darn panic attack when I saw her, I accepted that she was there, I named her Molly, and every night I would shine the flashlight on her web through the window so moths and little bugs would come to the light so she could have food. One day my mom was like ''If you like her so much, why don''t you open your window and let her in?'' I remember the face I gave her.
32.gif
32.gif
ARE YOU CRAZY!? She''s fine where she is, thanks. Eventually she died. I think she gorged herself to death. Probably my fault. OH WELL!
This story made me laugh for some reason. haha!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol
Yikes! Aren''t Banana Spiders and Brazilian Wandering Spiders one and the same? And listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world''s most venomous spider?? And she lived alongside you for a whole season??! I think that could even give me the heebie jeebies!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 2:31:59 PM
Author: joflier

Date: 4/21/2009 2:22:25 PM

I watched a video on huntsman spiders one day. Sometimes I watch videos when I'm feeling brave to try to use visuals to overcome my fears, it never works. But this video was about how huntsman spiders like to hide in the visors in your car and come out while you're DRIVING!?!??! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! I would die of heart failure before I even crashed my car. At first I was like yeah right, like that happens very often. And then below the video were all these Australian people saying 'oh yeah, that happened to me yesterday!', or 'MAN, that happened to me twice last week!'

People used to say 'you'll be fine as long as you stay in a big city like Sydney.' Okay. Well then I saw a video on Sydney funnel web spiders. THEY ONLY LIVE IN SYDNEY.

I'll just have to go to South Africa to fulfill my dream of swimming with Great Whites.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Oh good lord! One of my biggest fears is having a spider coming creeping down in front of me while I'm driving. I will die. I will go into cardiac arrest and crash my car. No joke - I have a can of raid sitting in the cup holder in the center console for any such emergencies.
That happened to me the other day, seriously!! The little bugger scuttled across the windscreen, but I wasn't too fussed by him because he was on the outside. THEN, he parked himself right in the middle of my side view mirror, and I couldn't see into it at all!! When I got to work I got out to evict him... and he'd vanished... *Twilight Zone music*

Ahh, the joys of this wide, brown land!
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:03:35 AM
Author: bagelboy
I can''t believe all you ladies are terrified of spiders! Most are totally harmless and not poisonous and eat tons of pesky flies and insects and not people. I just take a newspaper and run it thru their web, they usually are hanging off a web strand and then I relocate them to a tree or bush. Don''t mess with the black widows or brown recluse spiders however. My science teacher had some tarrantulas, those are so cool to have them crawling over your hands. Feels pretty funny!!!
Not to worry, bagelboy, not every lady is afraid of spiders. In fact, this thread has inspired me to go clean the webs out of my basement ceiling!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, ladies, I hear you all about the arachnophobia. My strapping, 6''2" older brother was *TERRIFIED* of spiders when we were kids, and I think I was conditioned over the years of seeing him freak out and literally jump out of his chair at the mere mention of someone seeing a spider generated a fight-for-flight reaction in me, his impressionable younger sister. Fortunately for me, I was able to get over it once I left for college. Today, when there''s one in the house, I''m able to calmly grab a coffee can and sheet of paper, capture it, and release it outside. (All right... true confession time. I''m not THAT mature about it. If my fiance is home, I make him do it. You bet I play the sex card!)

Of course, we aren''t dealing with Huntsman or Banana spiders here. Luckystar and Joflier, I too made the mistake of googling those. Holy cow.

Packrat, thanks for the tip on BugMax. I''ll head out to Home Depot to check it out. Sabine, I didn''t even think to request a weekly exterminator visit for the terrace; that''s a great idea as well.

So far I''ve tried the web-destruction thing, but these little buggers are persistent. If I knock it down without killing the spider, a new web is reconstructed overnight.
14.gif
(Seriously, I feel like the Sisyphusian Spider Lady out there.) Luckystar, do you know the name of the "repellent" you used? Being open-air, spot killing is an uphill battle; but if there''s something that will deter them from landing and staying in my space, that''d be ideal!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 12:35:29 AM

WOOT WOOT! LOVE sharks!! My cousin said she will dive with me with Great Whites if we go in cages, but she won''t swim with them without cages. What a scaredy-cat
3.gif

I''d do it. If I survive it then my dream will be fulfilled, and if I don''t, that''s a pretty epic way to die! LOL.

What can I say, I''ve just always wanted to swim with them! They''re beautiful and don''t think they''re the killers they are portrayed to be. As long as I don''t bathe in fish juice beforehand, I truly believe I will be fine.
4.gif

But spiders? Nope. If you offered me 1 million dollars to hold a daddy long legs, I seriously would not do it. Sorry. My sanity is too important and an experience like that would be too crippling to my sanity and future wellbeing for me to risk it, even if it would make me a millionaire.

Yay another shark lover! I''d be too scared to dive w/them-I''m a chicken! We went to the shark exhibit in Las Vegas (can''t remember the hotel) and at the Omaha zoo-it was awesome! They''re fascinating animals that''s for sure-and the GW is my favorite-they scare me but I love them!

Not like spiders. They scare me and I squash them or spray them w/whatevers on hand. If they''re large, I get freaked out and cry..I called my uncle crying when I was pg w/our daughter b/c a huuuuge one got in the house and was on the moulding around the door, and I was too scared to walk by it..he came down and killed it for me. I can''t handle them.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 9:55:58 AM
Author: DandiAndi

That happened to me the other day, seriously!! The little bugger scuttled across the windscreen, but I wasn''t too fussed by him because he was on the outside. THEN, he parked himself right in the middle of my side view mirror, and I couldn''t see into it at all!! When I got to work I got out to evict him... and he''d vanished... *Twilight Zone music*

Ahh, the joys of this wide, brown land!
9.gif
Ummm......so is thing seriously like the size of your mirror?
32.gif
I just got involuntary shudders.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:03:35 AM
Author: bagelboy

Bagelboy, there is a difference between not liking spiders and being PHOBIC. I am phobic, I have no good reason to give to you as to why I am afraid of them, I know they are beneficial, I live in an area where we only have brown recluses and black widows as far as poisonous spiders go and I have NEVER seen either. I am just terrified of them, when I see one (unless I saw it from a distance and knew it was there, then I can avoid it.).. I feeze up, my muscles will not move, I start to breathe heavy, I feel like my throat is closing and I can''t speak. It''ll all in my head obviously but panic attacks are not fun
7.gif
I couldn''t make my body roll up a newspaper and swat it out of it''s web even if I wanted to, I''m just not in control of myself at that point.

I tried for a while to overcome my fears by going to pet stores and looking at the tarantulas. That wasn''t one of my better days, I don''t think.

BUT! My cousin and I took my grandpa''s BB gun and shot spiders out of their webs one Summer. It was very liberating for me cause I could kill them without getting too close, and I found out I''m a pretty good shot! Yeah, it''s mean, but to me it was revenge!
9.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 2:09:29 PM
Date: 4/22/2009 12:35:29 AM

3.gif

4.gif

Yay another shark lover! I''d be too scared to dive w/them-I''m a chicken! We went to the shark exhibit in Las Vegas (can''t remember the hotel) and at the Omaha zoo-it was awesome! They''re fascinating animals that''s for sure-and the GW is my favorite-they scare me but I love them!

Not like spiders. They scare me and I squash them or spray them w/whatevers on hand. If they''re large, I get freaked out and cry..I called my uncle crying when I was pg w/our daughter b/c a huuuuge one got in the house and was on the moulding around the door, and I was too scared to walk by it..he came down and killed it for me. I can''t handle them.

Aw, Great Whites are harmless! There I go talking like good old Steve Irwin (rip
7.gif
) it''s that type of thinking that''s gonna get me killed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results