shape
carat
color
clarity

Accidental Opening of Fancy Champagne & Faux Pas Celebrations!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Mr T is currently in the throws of a big business deal. Big. Life changing. It would permit a huge house move for us & give us every security of which we have ever dreamed of (but not my dream Tiffany solitaire - that would be frivolous, apparently....)

I bought a bottle of Dom Perignon a few weeks ago & it's been chilling in the fridge, ready for the big Sign Off, which should be happening next week. But in there with it has been various bottles of cheapy Prosecco. Now in this house, I always pour the drinks. But tonight Mr T went to pour drinks. Next thing he yells from the kitchen "Oh sh!t babe! I've opened the Dom by accident!"

I am furious. Now we have to drink Dom rather than let him go flat & already Mr T is dozing on the sofa (which has nothing to do with him running 15 miles before 9am this morning & more to do with the fact that he's a light weight). I am NOT going out to buy more Dom for the big sign off & nor will I let this bottle go flat. I shall stay up into the night to see this baby gets drunk.

Share your faux pas celebrations!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was frivolous to open the Dom and then not even do his part to drink it.

So now you get your Tiffany solitaire, after all, that’s only fair. Congrats to you and Mr. T!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was frivolous to open the Dom and then not even do his part to drink it.

So now you get your Tiffany solitaire, after all, that’s only fair. Congrats to you and Mr. T!

Honestly Steph, he is propped up on his elbow asleep in the lounge. And I am sitting here, all alone, watching crap TV with my glass of Dom. I really want to go to bed, but over my dead body will I let Dom be alone with no stopper :lol:

And thanks re the success of the business. It's been a hard slog for both of us, him whilst he worked 70 hours a week & me for keeping the house & children healthy & alive in the background. Here's hoping the Tiffany hints pay off!

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Sister and I organized an 80th birthday celebration for our mom, rented a hall, etc...mostly for our (huge) extended family. Picked up a huge fruit plate with dip and the store didn't put it in a sturdy enough container, it collapsed when I went to put it in the trunk of the car for transport. Mom hated the whole party, didn't want to be there and generally made herself a PITA. It was also held on my birthday (our bdays are 2 days apart) and I made a point that this was to be her day, no mentioning it was my bday! My sister did not listen and made a big fuss and announcement. My sister is the type that thinks she knows what is best for everyone and my vote didn't count.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T, you’ve earned that Tiffany for sure, keeping the house and kids is a full time job itself. Though I must say that your pear solitaire is a favorite of mine. Elegant and graceful, I swoon every time I see it!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sister and I organized an 80th birthday celebration for our mom, rented a hall, etc...mostly for our (huge) extended family. Picked up a huge fruit plate with dip and the store didn't put it in a sturdy enough container, it collapsed when I went to put it in the trunk of the car for transport. Mom hated the whole party, didn't want to be there and generally made herself a PITA. It was also held on my birthday (our bdays are 2 days apart) and I made a point that this was to be her day, no mentioning it was my bday! My sister did not listen and made a big fuss and announcement. My sister is the type that thinks she knows what is best for everyone and my vote didn't count.

Oh my goodness! That is a bit crappy for sure! But was the yummy fruit salvigeable??

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T, you’ve earned that Tiffany for sure, keeping the house and kids is a full time job itself. Though I must say that your pear solitaire is a favorite of mine. Elegant and graceful, I swoon every time I see it!

Thank you, lovely. I'd like to keep my pear (greedy!) & make it into a RHR. I am thinking a bombe type ring, with the pear bezel set into a wide pave band. But that's a dream for another day!

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness! That is a bit crappy for sure! But was the yummy fruit salvigeable??

Nope...all on the ground....:(

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One Sunday afternoon I decided to lounge around with a good book and an apricot bellini. Mionetto brut is my cheapie prosecco of choice at about $9.99 a bottle. So I closed the blinds, put the cushions in justtttt the right position to hunker down on the sofa with the A/C turned up high (it was summer), a fluffy blanket, a brand new serial killer novel, and... mmmmmm... this is really GOOD... :lickout:

When I went to get round two a couple of chapters in I realized I was have a bellini made with Veuve. Both orange labels, but WHOOPS! Needless to say I stopped diluting it with apricot nectar and just enjoyed the Veuve!

Enjoy the Dom Alex -- AND get the ring! Life is short!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T When you are deep in your cups, you can't be held responsible if you accidentally order a huge Tiffany solitaire nor can you be blamed if you misunderstand their policy and tell Mr. T that it can't be returned.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mum likes to add a bit of red wine to the Roast Beef when cooking.
My mum opened up and used Dads vintage Grange Hermitage (she chose the one with the plainest and oldest looking label). Bin 46, 1958 vintage.
That bottle was worth, oh, $18,000 ish.
Dad was gutted but did what he had to do. He rang his best red wine connoisseur mate in Canberra, that’s a 3 hour drive away, who got in his car and drove up to Sydney.
Both he and Dad drank the rest of the bottle that night.
He wanted to keep the bottle but he found that every time he looked at it it was like another “stab to the heart” so he tossed it.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@Alex T When you are deep in your cups, you can't be held responsible if you accidentally order a huge Tiffany solitaire nor can you be blamed if you misunderstand their policy and tell Mr. T that it can't be returned.
Great plan! LOL! :lol:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
My Mum likes to add a bit of red wine to the Roast Beef when cooking.
My mum opened up and used Dads vintage Grange Hermitage (she chose the one with the plainest and oldest looking label). Bin 46, 1958 vintage.
That bottle was worth, oh, $18,000 ish.
Dad was gutted but did what he had to do. He rang his best red wine connoisseur mate in Canberra, that’s a 3 hour drive away, who got in his car and drove up to Sydney.
Both he and Dad drank the rest of the bottle that night.
He wanted to keep the bottle but he found that every time he looked at it it was like another “stab to the heart” so he tossed it.

And the roast? Was it glorious?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So Mr T is currently in the throws of a big business deal. Big. Life changing. It would permit a huge house move for us & give us every security of which we have ever dreamed of (but not my dream Tiffany solitaire - that would be frivolous, apparently....)

I bought a bottle of Dom Perignon a few weeks ago & it's been chilling in the fridge, ready for the big Sign Off, which should be happening next week. But in there with it has been various bottles of cheapy Prosecco. Now in this house, I always pour the drinks. But tonight Mr T went to pour drinks. Next thing he yells from the kitchen "Oh sh!t babe! I've opened the Dom by accident!"

I am furious. Now we have to drink Dom rather than let him go flat & already Mr T is dozing on the sofa (which has nothing to do with him running 15 miles before 9am this morning & more to do with the fact that he's a light weight). I am NOT going out to buy more Dom for the big sign off & nor will I let this bottle go flat. I shall stay up into the night to see this baby gets drunk.

Share your faux pas celebrations!

....i'll be right over to drink his shear :lol:
Ive never had Don Perignon

When he gets the job buy another bottle
If he's been working that hard (and you too of course) he's erned his snooze and to saver the upcoming celebration
Life is too short

@Bron357 i hope that roast was fantastic, ive been trained by an expert to never cook with anything less than one would enjoy drinking

and good call on your dad calling his freind

@MjK1 i would have just been so angry at everything about that situation i would never buy an overpriced fruit platter ever again

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just in case you have any future Dom mishaps, I’ve heard that hanging a teaspoon in an open bottle of champagne stops it going flat for a day or two. I’m guessing that a vacu-vin would work better! Taking everything into account, I much prefer your plan of drinking it straightaway though!

I’ve done something similar to Bron’s mum before. I’m not a big fan of French reds (my unsophisticated palate prefers thuggish reds that smack you round the chops). I was making Bolognese and grabbed a french label red from the wine rack to add in. My husband had a fit when he saw the open bottle - it was a gift from a work colleague and a couple of hundred quid. Oooops...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T you did not make that mistake, so I hope you enjoyed the Dom!

For me personally I don't care for fizzy wine of any sort, unless it is part of a cocktail.

However, I really love Asti with a sugar cube at the bottle of a flute! :lol-2:

Please treat yourself to some nice bling as I am sure you have been there to support your hubby along his road to success!

DK :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay @Matata @Bron357 @SparklieBug @MrsBlue @Daisys and Diamonds @lissyflo

Thank you ladies for sharing your stories & your support! I'm glad these things happen to other people too :lol:

Dom was very delicious but i admitted defeat at midnight & went to bed. There are a couple of small glasses left & we will have them at dinner tonight. Hopefully there will still be enough bubbles left in it for it not to be ruined.

And I shall go & buy another one ready for the big Sign Off later this week. I can't not mark such a big achievement & accomplishment for him. Thankfully we don't ever drink during the week, so he won't be rummaging in there opening anything by accident!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T you did not make that mistake, so I hope you enjoyed the Dom!

For me personally I don't care for fizzy wine of any sort, unless it is part of a cocktail.

However, I really love Asti with a sugar cube at the bottle of a flute! :lol-2:

Please treat yourself to some nice bling as I am sure you have been there to support your hubby along his road to success!

Asti with a sugar cube in the bottom??! My mind is blown!!!! :-o Does the sugar dissolve & add sweetness? What happens??

I have always told Mr T that one day I'd like my dream Tiffany & he knows how happy my jewellery makes me. But I would like to leave it with him to decide. I have found that if I plant seeds & walk away, eventually he does what I'm after, so fingers crossed.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asti with a sugar cube in the bottom??! My mind is blown!!!! :-o Does the sugar dissolve & add sweetness? What happens??

I have always told Mr T that one day I'd like my dream Tiffany & he knows how happy my jewellery makes me. But I would like to leave it with him to decide. I have found that if I plant seeds & walk away, eventually he does what I'm after, so fingers crossed.

Good luck with the Tiffany dream!

I saw the sugar cube trick in the film Moonstruck (I love that film, so romantic) when the American Italian families decided to toast to a few good things that have happened to them.

The sugar cube makes Asti even more drinkable to me for certain!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Well it's UK Mother's Day round the corner! What perfect timing to surprise you with your dream Tiffany ring to thank you for all your hard work and celebrate your joint success... Now that there's no Dom Perignon to help out... Just saying ;-)

There is something really special about the classic Tiffany solitaire! Is that the one you want?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww Congrats to you and Mr Alex @Alex T so happy for you both! Couldn't happen to a more lovely couple. A well deserved raise and much security for the future. XOXO

And I hope you enjoyed the Dom Perignon! There is always more where that came from so no worries.

cheerschampagne.gif

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So some time ago DH called from work and said that it was announced that he's getting a huge promotion, towards which he had been working for years! He was delighted and so was i! Five minutes later my dear friend, (who was my maid of honour at my wedding and whose husband was my DH's best man), called and said that they were inviting us for dinner on Saturday night. I couldn't contain myself from happiness and went ahead and told her about the promotion, even though DH had suggested that we kept it a secret until he had seen all the signatures and it was official. In the mean time due to insignificant technicalities DH's promotion was delayed for two weeks. That Saturday night we arrived at our friends' house and the moment we entered: "SURPRIIIIISE"!!! They had turned the "Saturday night dinner" to "Promotion celebration party" and they had invited common friends to celebrate and bought gifts for DH etc. In the mean time DH is standing there completely astonished, trying to figure out what's happening and feeling sooooo bad.
I literally wanted to die!
Thank God not long afterwards the promotion became official but remembering that incident still gives me the shivers until today:wall:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Dee*Jay @Matata @Bron357 @SparklieBug @MrsBlue @Daisys and Diamonds @lissyflo

Thank you ladies for sharing your stories & your support! I'm glad these things happen to other people too :lol:

Dom was very delicious but i admitted defeat at midnight & went to bed. There are a couple of small glasses left & we will have them at dinner tonight. Hopefully there will still be enough bubbles left in it for it not to be ruined.

And I shall go & buy another one ready for the big Sign Off later this week. I can't not mark such a big achievement & accomplishment for him. Thankfully we don't ever drink during the week, so he won't be rummaging in there opening anything by accident!

You have to get a bottle of these
They will elivate that pusucto Screenshot_20210301-004101.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some time ago, I had to look for something smart to wear for a wedding.

Being overweight and only 5'2, more a Coke can than a Coke bottle, in those days, as in early 90s, it was difficult for me to find anything that fit.

I was shopping in a big department store, and wandered into the maternity department, thinking I might find something that would not pinch in the waist.

The young sales assistant cheerfully enquired when I was due, for me to reply I was not pregnant, just looking for something for a wedding etc...

I could feel her embarrassment when she apologised, bless her.

Since then, I stopped shopping for clothes except for casual wear in Men sizes, and had business and formal wear made to measure instead.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results