• OEC

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • Modern round brilliant

Votes: 14 30.4%

• Total voters

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!
I love antique cuts but I also love a MRB. If you had to choose between an OEC or a MRB, which would you choose and why?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I think they are very different and it really depends what you like.

Sometimes you start somewhere and end up somewhere else. I think mrb are common and that's what you see so you tend to start there first.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC for me because I love the bigger faceting, petals under the table and snowflake around the edges, the fire and the way they handle light just makes my eyes happy.
I don’t like MRB, to me they’re splintery - my eyes just don’t like them as much as OECs.
It’s a personal preference thing every time. What’s right for me isn’t necessarily right for you.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It would be interesting to hear from those pricescopers who have both...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone!
I love antique cuts but I also love a MRB. If you had to choose between an OEC or a MRB, which would you choose and why?

Haha this is such a personal decision and anyone who knows me knows I would choose OEC every single time. No contest for me. There is no right or wrong decision however. It's what makes your heart beat faster.

Here is a thread you might find helpful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be interesting to hear from those pricescopers who have both...

I had/have both. I started out with an MRB ER and still have MRB studs. MRBs don't do it for me however. Not like the way old cuts do. It is just a matter of personal preference. No right or wrong. And some of us love both and don't have to make that decision. :)

Just because photos are worth a thousand words (at least) here you go.
Chunky monkey yummy faceting.
bubbalahcrispfacets.jpg.png

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I had/have both. I started out with an MRB ER and still have MRB studs. MRBs don't do it for me however. Not like the way old cuts do. It is just a matter of personal preference. No right or wrong. And some of us love both and don't have to make that decision. :)

Just because photos are worth a thousand words (at least) here you go.
Chunky monkey yummy faceting.
bubbalahcrispfacets.jpg.png

That is the most gorgeous ring. I love it every time you post it.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
My er is an emerald cut. I have MRB in studs, bracelets and necklace. I'm currently on the search for a OEC for an anniversary ring. There is just something about the chunky facets I love. And there are so many beautiful OEC's on PS (especially Missy's).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the most gorgeous ring. I love it every time you post it.

Thank you @rcjtraveler.

My er is an emerald cut. I have MRB in studs, bracelets and necklace. I'm currently on the search for a OEC for an anniversary ring. There is just something about the chunky facets I love. And there are so many beautiful OEC's on PS (especially Missy's).

Hi @lulu_ma, I replied to your message fyi. XO.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own both types and prefer OEC because my preference is for large colourful flashes, chunky facets and the checkerboard like pattern. I actually prefer OMC over OEC.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Now that I have both an OMC and a branded ideal cut MRB, I can say that I appreciate each for what it is. That said, if I could only have one, it would be the old cut. I really like the broader rainbow flashes as well as the idea that it was cut by hand a long time ago. I even like the imperfections. Something very charming about the entire package.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I'm really surprised 13 votes for oec and none for mrb so far.

Pre PS, my perception of old cuts were that they were dark, ugly, dull etc. Only because I've only ever seen those types in second hand stores etc. It wasn't until PS that I discovered how truly beautiful they are.

I prefer omc over oec as well. Something about being imperfectly perfect. Being almost unpredictable at times whereas a mrb seems pretty predictable in terms of light return.

I think it really depends on your preference. I can't remember who it was but someone on PS recently went from mrb to oec only to discover that she preferred the ideal light return and went back to a mrb.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
Definitely personal preference! From reading here, I always thought I would love an old cut, but when I finally saw one in person (a Distinctive Gem August Vintage Round I ordered), I realized that I actually preferred the MRB.

I am still interested in an old cut cushion and hope I can see one someday. In the meantime based on my preferences in round I just got a square radiant h&a to fulfill my desire for a square stone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not going to mention names but there’s one person here whose MRB ring makes me weak in the knees. Ok i will mention names because her ring is extraordinary. ❤️
@LLJsmom :)

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely personal preference! From reading here, I always thought I would love an old cut, but when I finally saw one in person (a Distinctive Gem August Vintage Round I ordered), I realized that I actually preferred the MRB.

I am still interested in an old cut cushion and hope I can see one someday. In the meantime based on my preferences in round I just got a square radiant h&a to fulfill my desire for a square stone.

Personally I think real old cuts are different from newly cut "old cuts " . I bought an AVR and sold it , and had been buying old wonky cuts happily ever since !

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I have both , Ideal cut MRBs and antique cuts . when I wear the old cuts I feel special . I feel the romance , history of the piece . I am in awe , thinking this was made by hand decades ago , maybe by candlelight . In fact people always notice the old cuts ,maybe because they are unlike the modern classic jewelry designs of today .

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I'm really surprised 13 votes for oec and none for mrb so far.

Pre PS, my perception of old cuts were that they were dark, ugly, dull etc. Only because I've only ever seen those types in second hand stores etc. It wasn't until PS that I discovered how truly beautiful they are.

I prefer omc over oec as well. Something about being imperfectly perfect. Being almost unpredictable at times whereas a mrb seems pretty predictable in terms of light return.

I think it really depends on your preference. I can't remember who it was but someone on PS recently went from mrb to oec only to discover that she preferred the ideal light return and went back to a mrb.

I’m so surprised at the votes too. I love antique cuts but my first ER was a mrb. I love OEC!!! However, because it’s PriceScope, I thought for sure most would choose mrb.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I think real old cuts are different from newly cut "old cuts " . I bought an AVR and sold it , and had been buying old wonky cuts happily ever since !

Same. I vastly prefer genuine old cuts to newly cut made to look old cuts. But I do want to add it’s a personal choice and again no right or wrong. Just what’s right or wrong for the individual. I definitely don’t want to offend anyone and AVRs/AVCs/CERs etc are beautiful too. Just not for me. I like wonky and imperfect to match who I am lol.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I like OECs better but ACAs provide more flexibility. I can’t shell out the kind of money it would take to get my dream OEC at this time (or anytime in the near future TBH). So while I would prefer to go OEC, I’ll be going the super ideal route.

Maybe we’ll win the lotto and I’ll be able to get my dream OEC later.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Genuine antique cuts have a romantic feel to them. I only fell in love with antique cuts when I upgraded to my antique moval from a mrb. It’s uneven and cut by hand, but the facets and pastel colors it displays is just pure magic.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I recommend ordering some old cut CZ in the size you are thinking if you are not willing to order actual diamonds for viewing.

I love true antique OMCs in large sizes (> 2 ct). For diamonds I can actual afford, I prefer MRB This holds true also with other cuts, I love emeralds and ovals over 1 ct and marquise over 2 ct, under those sizes - not so much

I never liked OECs much prior coming to PS, and over time I have started to enjoy them, particularly the old wonky ones! I have this friend who has an inherited OEC as an engagement ring that is a fancy yellow (or maybe fancy light yellow, but it looks properly yellow because of the setting), it’s GORGEOUS. That being said, if I had to pick only one of the two, I’d take an MRB any day. MRBs aren’t my favourite diamond shape (step cuts will always have my heart) but I would miss the brilliance and the added visible size impact.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you already have a moval— which I love!—will this be an alternate ering or rhr? I ask bc I have been down this road before andI almost traded in my mrb ering for an oec. Hubby talked me out of it and I am soooo glad. So I do have a 1.52 omc halo for my rhr and a 1 carat oec that recently converted from a rhr to a pendant. I love love love my 2.9 mrb and I love that it is my one and only ering. The old cuts for some reason I prefer as rhr’s.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will try to keep this short.

I chose MRB, but in my mind only a super ideal MRB that I like, not just any super ideal MRB. I would choose this over the OEC I have because right now, this stone and ring checks all the boxes.

However, if I could see a G-I OEC that is very well cut, I might change my mind. If I had to choose between @missy 's OEC, the most beautiful OEC I have ever seen, I could not say. I swear her OEC looks like an H or higher, not a J. The only issue with my OEC is that I want it in a higher color.

Then I would choose my OEC over just a regular non-super ideal MRB.

So for a nit-picky person like me, the answer is...it depends.

And for the record, when I consider studs again, they will either be OECs or CERs. I also get bored with stuff over time.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I truly love both and am fortunate to have both. They both make me happy and make my heart flutter :kiss2: Here is my wedding set with an ideal diamond. 20201014_082110.jpg 20200620_163804.jpg 20200910_174954.jpg 20200220_133818.jpg 20190404_135728.jpg
Then we have a beautiful .65 OMC from the lovely @PreRaphaelite who even found the setting for me!
Next, is my OEC cocktail from GildedLane - I believe . 38ct small but mighty!
And then my greatgrandmother's ring - diamond has a crack but I still love it and I'm not sure if it's omc or oec?
@missy your beautiful ring makes my HEART FLUTTER :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
@Morenita21 It sounds like you love both. Both are stunning! Enjoy deciding or getting both :bigsmile:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Love this thread! I heard once that your preference will be influenced by what generation you and your mother and grandmother are. My Grandma's had OMC and OEC and I thought their rings were the best! My mom had a super splintery MRB, so of course I thought that 'mom's ring isn't cool at all'. Because growing up with mom and her MRB and seeing it every day, I now prefer OEC 100%. But .... @LLJsmom 's new 3 stone made me think twice about which I would choose in a pinch ;-)

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m going to ramble here. Sorry. If you have to ask this question, you need to see both in person. I have a Crafted By Inifinity superideal and researched meticulously here on PS before I bought it. I also own some antique diamonds.

The light return, fire, and light play of my superideal CBI is endlessly interesting and beautiful to me. However the facets are small, which I don’t prefer, I prefer chunky flash. The other strong point of my superideal is that I was able to buy an E color diamond (it’s an SI1 and small). It is extremely rare to find a colorless old cut. I appreciate color more than anything else besides cut. So, benefits of superideal are you can control color and cut. Cut will be exceptional. With an OEC in particular you can likely find a well cut one but the color will likely be K or lower in larger stones. That’s all. If you want the larger flashes of light, with historical value of antique artistry and a past, with a warmer color, go for the OEC. If you want a splintery, firey disco ball that is backed up by a nice trade in policy, go superideal.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Since you already have a moval— which I love!—will this be an alternate ering or rhr? I ask bc I have been down this road before andI almost traded in my mrb ering for an oec. Hubby talked me out of it and I am soooo glad. So I do have a 1.52 omc halo for my rhr and a 1 carat oec that recently converted from a rhr to a pendant. I love love love my 2.9 mrb and I love that it is my one and only ering. The old cuts for some reason I prefer as rhr’s.

Just research at this point. I love antique cuts but since I already have a gorgeous stone, I was thinking about a round diamond as a second ring - more for travel or when I don’t want to be asked a million times about my ring. It makes me uncomfortable to answer questions about it. People are weird.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results