shape
carat
color
clarity

ACA help needed

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

Back to my search as I've decided against pursuing a K color stone. So grateful for all the advice and suggestions so far....

We are looking for something close to 3 ct, J or better color under 28k. I'm keeping an open mind to alternatives as well (especially lovely OEC's)
I'm working with a wonderful rep at Whiteflash who presented this diamond to me...

She looked at this stone and said it's eye clean from 6 inches and really beautiful.

Would love some feedback on this stone while I have it on hold (hopefully the link above works)

if not, here are the stats:

spec2.jpeg specs.jpeg

Really looking forward to feedback on this and/or suggestions of other ACAs that catch your eye that may be a better option.

Thanks in advance =)2

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful. Is the J okay for you, given the K was not? Do you think if you are going to make a change you should go down 2 color grades, given there is always a 1 grade variance allowed? Personally, for me, I wouldn't go below an H, but I am color sensitive. I feel like the fancy photos and lighting are so deceiving as to what the color will be in real life. As to performance, you are solid going with ACA. In the enlarged images, the inclusions are obviously visible. The rep told you it is eye clean from 6 inches... so that's all well and good when others see your ring unless they lift it up close to their face. But what about YOU?... you are most likely (if you are anything like me lol!) going to look at it closer than 6" (I would think). Are you okay if you see anything? With that said, I hope others take a look but to me it doesn't seem like what I'm seeing in the enlarged photo matches up with the plot on the certificate.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I’m sure it will be beautiful and the size is amazing. I’m wondering if you shouldn’t stick with an I or better. Did you see a K and not like it? I don’t know if you’ll see much of a difference between a k and a j.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The performance of the 2.983 is rock solid.

Like others, my concern is the color. Most people struggle to see variance in just a single color grade. The caveat being as you go down the color scale, the range within each grade grows. What does that mean exactly?

If you saw a low K (almost L) then a high J (almost I) might appear to be drastically better and tolerable to you. On the flip side, if you saw a medium K and compare it to a medium J the difference may or may not be as noticeable, depending on your own visual sensitivity & tolerance to color.

By chance, is the K you saw a stone that WF presented to you? If so, then you can use that same stone to compare against the J you are now considering to get a better feel for if the J is acceptable or not.

If the K you saw wasn't a WF stone, then maybe you can have them pull a medium/solid K and use as a comparison against the J and also an I stone that you are considering. If they have happen to have some other J's that are strong (near I color) then maybe those are also worth a look.

Or if you just want to rock out on size, then grab the 2.983 now and if the color is unbearable then save together a few coins and upgrade the color when funds allow.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@sledge Did you see what I was referring to image to plot? Regardless, what is your opinion on the "eye clean" element for this stone with regard to the wearer viewing it up close?
@DiamondFix If both your stones are from WF, ask them to take a photo/video of the stones TOGETHER so all the lighting and environment is the same.

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
The performance of the 2.983 is rock solid.

Like others, my concern is the color. Most people struggle to see variance in just a single color grade. The caveat being as you go down the color scale, the range within each grade grows. What does that mean exactly?

If you saw a low K (almost L) then a high J (almost I) might appear to be drastically better and tolerable to you. On the flip side, if you saw a medium K and compare it to a medium J the difference may or may not be as noticeable, depending on your own visual sensitivity & tolerance to color.

By chance, is the K you saw a stone that WF presented to you? If so, then you can use that same stone to compare against the J you are now considering to get a better feel for if the J is acceptable or not.

If the K you saw wasn't a WF stone, then maybe you can have them pull a medium/solid K and use as a comparison against the J and also an I stone that you are considering. If they have happen to have some other J's that are strong (near I color) then maybe those are also worth a look.

Or if you just want to rock out on size, then grab the 2.983 now and if the color is unbearable then save together a few coins and upgrade the color when funds allow.

Thank you @sledge ! The sales associate said it is a "solid J" leaning more towards the lighter end. The K was a non WF stone and although the stats were excellent and it was bigger (:kiss2:) I really wanted a better guarantee on the performance of the stone. Although, I still wonder if I should see that one in person.

I posted here on another thread about the K and wasn't sure it was up to par with the ACA cut. I'm so glad you said the performance is rock solid on this stone as that is what really matters most to me. Hopefully, the stone is eye clean up close as @headlight mentioned. SO grateful for your feedback. Don't know what I would do without you guys! :dance:

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
@sledge Did you see what I was referring to image to plot? Regardless, what is your opinion on the "eye clean" element for this stone with regard to the wearer viewing it up close?
@DiamondFix If both your stones are from WF, ask them to take a photo/video of the stones TOGETHER so all the lighting and environment is the same.

Hi @headlight Unfortunately, the K was not a WF diamond. Still wondering if I should consider that diamond - but this one feels "safer" in comparison to the one I posted on my other thread even though the other one is .50 larger. Would love if you could compare the two with your expert opinion and I can try to link the thread so it's easier. Just so I can put it out of my mind for good!
(slightly obsessing over here lol!)

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
I’m sure it will be beautiful and the size is amazing. I’m wondering if you shouldn’t stick with an I or better. Did you see a K and not like it? I don’t know if you’ll see much of a difference between a k and a j.

Hi @Mamajemmy...I never saw the K in person but It looked beautiful in the videos and great on paper. I think it was a combination of the color and the fact that is wasn't an ideal cut stone
(more so the cut). Although, the stats looked very impressive. There is something a bit more comfortable about going with a vendor with ideal stones, a return policy, and the possibility of an upgrade in the color if it bothers me down the road. This is such a hard decision.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Mamajemmy...I never saw the K in person but It looked beautiful in the videos and great on paper. I think it was a combination of the color and the fact that is wasn't an ideal cut stone
(more so the cut). Although, the stats looked very impressive. There is something a bit more comfortable about going with a vendor with ideal stones, a return policy, and the possibility of an upgrade in the color if it bothers me down the road. This is such a hard decision.

I totally agree. The upgrade is huge. You never now how your tastes or situation might change. I’m indecisive and going with a WF ES made me feel like I could commit but still change my mind one day.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone. A well cut 2.98ct is a rare find.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
The scope images AND the hard numbers on the cut look tremendous. That sucker should light up like a disco ball. and whiteflash is an extremely transparent company, with two gemologists on staff, so if they claim the stone is eye-clean you can definitely trust 'em. and technically speaking, the general standard for an eye-clean diamond is usually from 9 inches away with 20/20 vision--- so eye-clean from six inches away is even better. the money you're saving on color and clarity allows you to get a diamond just under 3 carats at a significantly cheaper price--- and i'm sure every little bit helps when you are talking about such a big diamond(and like Sledge said, you have the complete flexibility-- and safety--- of upgrading at a future date if the color OR clarity is something that winds up bothering you; you could even set up a "diamond watcher" search with whiteflash that will give you an alert any time a diamond with your specific parameters hits their inventory).

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
The scope images AND the hard numbers on the cut look tremendous. That sucker should light up like a disco ball. and whiteflash is an extremely transparent company, with two gemologists on staff, so if they claim the stone is eye-clean you can definitely trust 'em. and technically speaking, the general standard for an eye-clean diamond is usually from 9 inches away with 20/20 vision--- so eye-clean from six inches away is even better. the money you're saving on color and clarity allows you to get a diamond just under 3 carats at a significantly cheaper price--- and i'm sure every little bit helps when you are talking about such a big diamond(and like Sledge said, you have the complete flexibility-- and safety--- of upgrading at a future date if the color OR clarity is something that winds up bothering you; you could even set up a "diamond watcher" search with whiteflash that will give you an alert any time a diamond with your specific parameters hits their inventory).

Thank you @matt_k ! Really appreciate your input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results