shape
carat
color
clarity

Abscessed tooth in a 3 year old?

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, my daughter is nearly four and has been complaining of pain when she eats on one side since yesterday afternoon. When I look, I cannot see anything in her mouth - no swellings or redness around the gum. My son (16 months) has had hand, foot and mouth this week so I thought her mouth pain may have been the beginning of this as blisters in the mouth are an early symptom.

Tonight she has woken up crying twice complaining of gum pain, her face looks slightly swollen on one side, no fever but she is clearly unwell and I think she may have an abscessed tooth? I will take her to the dentist tomorrow morning, but I wondered if anyone has experienced this and how would they treat such a yong child? I will be devastated of she has, I am really strict on sweets, she ALWAYS has water - never juice and together we clean her teeth after her cup of milk before bed so she is going to sleep with clean teeth. I cook from scratch so she rarely has any processed foods.

Poor N, she likes the dentist and has had her teeth checked in the last three months (all fine) but she is so young that I worry she will be too frightened to recieve treatment.

ALL thoughts or advice welcome!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear, poor her - sore teeth aren't fun. Do you have any clove oil?

Normally abcesses in kids are secondary to tooth decay and since she saw the dentist 3 months ago I doubt that the cause will be to do with the care you/she take with her teeth. There can be other causes though.

A friend of mines child was diagnosed with a dental abcess a few weeks ago and had to have 7 teeth removed - she also doesn't have anything she shouldn't and is still breast-fed at 3 which is a good preventative against tooth decay, but her mother has very thin enamel and the dentist said that it was a genetic cause rather than a hygiene cause.

I hope you get good news.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
When do kids start getting adult teeth? Maybe I'm ahead of myself here but I had to have every single baby tooth pulled because they had little roots and wouldn't come out on their own. Could it be something like that?

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your replies, it turns out that she doesn't have an abscess - she does have hand, foot and mouth but the only symptoms she has are the mouth sores - the reason I couldn't see them is because although they must have been hurting her they didn't properly come out until the morning after my original post.

I am very relieved that its not her teeth, however the poor little dot has a huge one on the front of her tongue which is not budging despite the others having already healed, as a result she has barely had anything but water and room temperature custard with pureed apples since friday and has been very low. She's not talking much either because that hurts too, I will be very relieved when it is over. She collects Jellycat bunnies, so I think I will take her to get a new bunny tomorrow to cheer her up.

Sparkly Blonde - ouch, ALL of your baby teeth! My nephew is just about to turn eight and has recently lost his first baby tooth which is, I think about average age wise, I cannot remember when I lost mine.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Glad it wasn't an abscess!

H, F & M isn't much fun - Daisy had it earlier this year but got off lightly on the mouth bit. The rash on her hands and feet was pretty impressive though.

Just out of interest, have you done the varicella vaccine?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Lottie UK|1320003428|3050513 said:
Thank you for your replies, it turns out that she doesn't have an abscess - she does have hand, foot and mouth but the only symptoms she has are the mouth sores - the reason I couldn't see them is because although they must have been hurting her they didn't properly come out until the morning after my original post.

I am very relieved that its not her teeth, however the poor little dot has a huge one on the front of her tongue which is not budging despite the others having already healed, as a result she has barely had anything but water and room temperature custard with pureed apples since friday and has been very low. She's not talking much either because that hurts too, I will be very relieved when it is over. She collects Jellycat bunnies, so I think I will take her to get a new bunny tomorrow to cheer her up.

Sparkly Blonde - ouch, ALL of your baby teeth! My nephew is just about to turn eight and has recently lost his first baby tooth which is, I think about average age wise, I cannot remember when I lost mine.

They pulled several at a time when they saw the adult teeth starting to come in so while I was a bit toothless I didn't have a crazy amount of dentist visits!

Glad it wasn't an abscessed tooth for her.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora I didn't really feel the need for the Varicella Vaccine as I have always felt that illnesses such as Chicken Pox are a good thing to have and get over with early while we build our own immune systems. Neve was 18 months when she had CP (while we were on what is now known in our family as the worst holiday ever) and Henry was only 5 months and barely had any symptoms. They have both had all of the standard vaccines. Has Daisy had it the Varicella Vaccine?

We recently received a letter inviting Henry to take part in a research trial for an alternative flu vaccine and whilst I am not keen my husband is, so there have been some lengthy discussions in our house recently on the subject of vaccines. We are still undecided.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have had her vaccinated - I did so for a number of reasons.

- I had chicken pox badly and it was miserable - I also ended up with some scarring.

- My niece was left with very severe facial scarring after having chicken pox 2 years ago at the age of 5, that may need cosmetic surgery later on to correct. If my sister had known about the shot she would have given it to her kids for definite.

- You generally have to take a week off work and you can't go on a plane within 2 weeks of having CP - guarantee that my kid would manage to pick the wrong week.

- My father is a GP and had been seeing increasing numbers of severe CP cases, several involving admittance to hospital with encephalitis which can leave lasting neurological damage and a quite high number with bacterial infections of the spots. He very strongly recommended that I vaccinate. No vaccination is guaranteed to be 100% effective, but if they do get CP then they will likely have a very mild dose.

- It protects against shingles as well as CP.

- My husband has no spleen and hereditary spherocytosis and is therefore immuno-compromised. If Daisy gets CP then his chances of getting shingles and getting it very severely are greatly increased.

The only reasons that children aren't vaccinated against it in UK are a) cost and b) there are enough issues in getting parents to take up the MMR let alone the MMRV thanks to the awful Mr Wakefield. In places like Australia and NZ it's now mandatory to have the Varicella vaccine.

I admit that I vaccinate against everything. I grew up in a country where children routinely died from measles, polio, tetanus and other things that we in the west regard as either extinct, mild or a bit of a PITA - my father was the senior medic out there and was responsible for implementing the vaccination programmes. Plus I travel to countries that are risky for some diseases.

On top of the usual, Daisy has also had Hep A, Typhoid and the BCG. I turned down the Rabies vaccination as it was expensive, only lasts 2 years and only really buys you time, if you are bitten you still need the same 5 shots and I'm not planning on taking her anywhere that we aren't within 24 hours max of proper medical facilities.

I'm also plan to pay for the Gardasil HPV vaccine over the Cervarix that our cheapskate government picked!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I think if I had known what you know, particuarly with the experience of your neice potentially having to have surgery to correct scarring and obviously the increase in severe attacks, then I would probably have had mine vaccinated as babies. They have now both had it and other than one tiny scar on Neve's back are fine so its too late for me to do anything. My twin sister is pregnant with number three though so I think I will bring this up with her.

Further to your post, I have googled the HPV vaccines and will now be doing the same and paying for the Gardasil. Thank you for the heads up.

I do have a friend who is firmly anti - vaccinating and will often tell me that her children are never ill and always in perfect health. I would love to point out to her that the reason her children are so healthy is because the rest of us HAVE vaccinated our children and therefore stopped the spread of the various diseases and infections she refuses to vaccinate against.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Don't get me started on the anti-vaccination crowd... :rolleyes:

They are indeed coasting on herd immunity, but it really annoys me that they are potentially putting children who cannot be immunised at risk. There is also the situation regarding Diptheria where the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the disease, but does stop the toxins affecting your body - so diptheria is still around and if their kids get it then they will be in trouble.

I wish schools and nurseries here would insist on vaccination and only allow exemptions for true medical need.

In the UK there is also the issue of increasing immigration - the influx of Eastern Europeans has led to a surge in antibiotic resistant TB. The area I live in has also had a number of fatal measles cases in the last few years - and these in healthy children. Most children here are vaccinated against TB at birth, and the second dose of the MMR is done 4 weeks after the first rather than 2 years after.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora|1320184836|3051998 said:
Don't get me started on the anti-vaccination crowd... :rolleyes:

They are indeed coasting on herd immunity, but it really annoys me that they are potentially putting children who cannot be immunised at risk. There is also the situation regarding Diptheria where the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the disease, but does stop the toxins affecting your body - so diptheria is still around and if their kids get it then they will be in trouble.

I wish schools and nurseries here would insist on vaccination and only allow exemptions for true medical need.
In the UK there is also the issue of increasing immigration - the influx of Eastern Europeans has led to a surge in antibiotic resistant TB. The area I live in has also had a number of fatal measles cases in the last few years - and these in healthy children. Most children here are vaccinated against TB at birth, and the second dose of the MMR is done 4 weeks after the first rather than 2 years after.

Yes, this feels like common sense to me.

sylviadalton

Rough_Rock
You must visit a good dentist. After X-ray, dentist will tell the exact problem in her tooth. You can also visit to Naturadent, I am taking my root canal treatment from there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results