shape
carat
color
clarity

About to receive WF e-ring. Help on Checklist for my bf to inspect!

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
Hi all, After a lot of research and help from PSers (Thank you @CareBear , @MissGotRocks , @Kim N !!!), I settled on the diamond and setting. We are expecting to receive it in the next couple of days, which starts the 30 day WF return policy for any issues. I really loved the experience of trying out rings and picking the perfect one with my boyfriend, but I do want to leave some room for surprise when I receive the ring and get that once-in-a-lifetime first time wow moment.

So with that, I am asking for help in building a checklist for my bf for when he receives the ring and scrutinizes it. It's definitely too expensive to forgive on any details and I want perfection! Please add any thoughts. He's super diligent if you give him instructions to follow. :geek2: I'm also hoping this can be used for any other first timers as they prepare for that dream e-ring, especially when there's less in-person interaction with online retailers!

Note that we specifically chose VS1 (to be very eye clean, even up close vs 10 ft away... there was a VS2 that had a crystal in the middle and WF said was potentially visible if you had louped first to see where it was and then looked very closely for it) and F to avoid any hint of warmth, as I'm color sensitive (and maybe also mentally color sensitive). I unfortunately will acknowledge the mind-clean aspect very much. :roll2:

Checklist for my bf when he receives WF e-ring:

Reference:

• 2.048 Carat / ACA / F / VS1
  • Vatche U113
  • Size: 3.75
  • Engraved
Diamond
  • Diamond matches certificate
  • Clarity: Inclusions match certificate? Eye clean?
  • Color: Any warmth from the side?
  • Cut: Performance / Fire / Light leakage?
    • Under house lights
    • Under LED (elevator/office) lights
    • Under bright sunlight
    • Under semi-shaded leaves sunlight
Prongs
  • Symmetrical to each other
  • Position: 12/6 o’clock
  • Shape: tabs
  • Appearance elegant/delicate (not chunky)
  • Side view: Symmetrical graceful swoops
Setting
  • Ring size looks ~ 3.75
  • Medium height (not squatty)
  • Donut symmetrical in the center?
  • Engraving correct and clean?

I know some things are subjective like elegant/delicate appearance or roughly 3.75 size. But I just wanted to make as comprehensive of a checklist as possible. A lot was gathered from perusing posts from @CharlotteYork @mtran89 and others.

Welcome any additional thoughts and I'll add to the list as I receive them!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Is the diamond secure in the mounting?

If there are side stones, are they secure with no spinning?

(These should be a no-brainer for whomever finished the ring, but always good to check.)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa.

Yeah okay. I’ll just be real blunt here.

This is a textbook example of a case where #KeepingItASurprise” is synonymous with inviting disappointment. OP, I guarantee that unless your partner is interested in gemstones and jewellery himself, everything on your checklist except carat weight (which he can’t evaluate once mounted anyway!) is going to make zero sense when it’s “his job” to verify.

You need to see this ring yourself within the return period. This checklist plan ain’t gonna work, no way no how.

Last edited:

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
Whoa.

Yeah okay. I’ll just be real blunt here.

This is a textbook example of a case where #KeepingItASurprise” is synonymous with inviting disappointment. OP, I guarantee that unless your partner is interested in gemstones and jewellery himself, everything on your checklist except carat weight (which he can’t evaluate once mounted anyway!) is going to make zero sense when it’s “his job” to verify.

You need to see this ring yourself within the return period. This checklist plan ain’t gonna work, no way no how.

Fair enough. The pictures just came in and just by asking him what he thought of the pictures, I think I do have to look at it when we pick it up!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
You also don’t want to put your fiancé in the awkward position of you blaming him for tiny nits that someone who doesn’t have eagle eyes simply wouldn’t catch. I strongly agree with @yssie that given how detailed your expectations are, imposing them on someone else is going to be futile. Ask him to let you see it, and he can tuck it away for later for a surprise. Done.

I’d also take a deep breath and maybe…try to let go a little. I don’t mean to be rude, but you are getting an ACA with very high specs, so asking someone to assess fire/leakage with any expectation that it won’t be spectacular, or if the tint is noticeable in an F, etc…some of these requirements seem akin to killing a fly with a hand grenade.

Now if you need to see it for yourself to feel at ease, especially if you haven’t seen an ACA in person, you should make that expectation clear and that’s understandable!

And, congrats on your engagement!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with not assigning tasks your fiancé that only you can do to your satisfaction.
IMO it's not fair to him.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cerulean said it all much better than I did ::)

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
You also don’t want to put your fiancé in the awkward position of you blaming him for tiny nits that someone who doesn’t have eagle eyes simply wouldn’t catch. I strongly agree with @yssie that given how detailed your expectations are, imposing them on someone else is going to be futile. Ask him to let you see it, and he can tuck it away for later for a surprise. Done.

I’d also take a deep breath and maybe…try to let go a little. I don’t mean to be rude, but you are getting an ACA with very high specs, so asking someone to assess fire/leakage with any expectation that it won’t be spectacular, or if the tint is noticeable in an F, etc…some of these requirements seem akin to killing a fly with a hand grenade.

Now if you need to see it for yourself to feel at ease, especially if you haven’t seen an ACA in person, you should make that expectation clear and that’s understandable!

And, congrats on your engagement!

Agree. I wanted the fairytale engagement surprise, but the cons that I’ll most likely be disappointed or him feeling the brunt of it is unfair and not worth the surprise element! I’ll keep this as a list for myself when I receive it in person!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ACA diamond has already been vetted by a process far beyond what anyone can do at home. If you don’t like the diamond because of clarity or color issues, you are able to trade it in even if it is past the return window. Folks buy this level of cut quality though because they want the picture perfect hearts and arrows and visual performance that goes with it. However, an F color VS1 clarity should please even the most discerning of people. While I can appreciate you wanting to love your new diamond ring, I would look forward with anticipation rather than a critical eye when receiving it. If there are any issues that
concern you, they can be worked out. Don’t ruin the experience by expecting problems - I am sure it will be beautiful! Many gals would love to have such a ring!

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
I totally concur with the above! Whilst it's super exciting about wanting everything to be perfect ; expecting and looking for disappointment may often lead to exactly that. Enjoy the moment for what it is.

The diamond will be absolutely perfect. My fiancé didn't even want to look at the AGS certificate (also a 2Ct ACA diamond) because she didn't want to know where the imperfections were. And once you see them they cannot be unseen.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond will be absolutely perfect. My fiancé didn't even want to look at the AGS certificate (also a 2Ct ACA diamond) because she didn't want to know where the imperfections were. And once you see them they cannot be unseen.

This. 100% this. Very good point.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Totally agree. One of the main points of buying an ACA is that you shouldn't be nit picking the stone. That has already been done. Relax and don't look for issues where they probably don't exist. And remember, nothing is actually perfect. But ACA's are probably as close as you can get in a MRB.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with previous posters that if you're the one who cares the most about this process you have 4 choices:
1. inspect it yourself it when it arrives,
2. Add to the checklist "propose by X date so I have Y days to inspect and return if it is unsatisfactory",
3. Keep your checklist reasonable*, trust your vendors, and accept that there's a small chance there could be minor imperfections that are correctable.
4. Alternative: Have him to take it to a local jeweler you both trust to have them do the detailed QC inspection for you.

You've picked amazing vendors and an outstanding bench to make the ring. At some point you have to trust that your research was good you chose WF and Vatche because they know what they're doing and they do it well!

Unless your bf was the one driving the diamond research, selection and inspection process, then anything beyond a reasonable checklist is asking too much.

For the average man, my reasonable checklist would be qualified by him being able to confidently say the following:
  • "yup the ring looks beautiful and it looks like that [Tiffany] ring she said she liked. This is definitely the style we ordered."
  • "These prongs have [square] tips, not [round or pointy] ones. It is just like the [Tiffany ring] picture she said she wanted"
  • "the stone seems secure, it's not spinning or rattling around. The prongs are touching the stone with no gaps"
  • "The hallmarks indicate it is the right metal that we paid for (Pt950, Au750, 18kt, 14kt, etc)"
  • "Yes, the diamond sparkles like crazy. It is so lively! I can't stop staring at it! Holy moly, Batman!"
  • "Yes, using this loupe I was handed but have never used before, I have fumbled my way through and can barely make out that the inscription on the stone matches the certificate and my purchase order"
Congratulations in advance. Everything will work out beautifully with the ring. Try hard to not to let anxiety spoil this experience for the both of you.

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I would caution that taking it to a local jeweler who sells engagement rings may or may not work out well. In my experience there is a non-negligible percentage of brick and mortar jewelers who look down on anything purchased online and will take the opportunity to instill doubt (probably so they can then make a sale themselves). Unfortunate, but reality.

If you’re going to go the route of having a local professional assess the ring, my recommendation would be for an appraiser who is NOT in the business of selling jewelry. Of course, if you have already established a relationship with a local jeweler and you know she can be trusted to evaluate something accurately even though she did not sell it, that’s a different story.

However, my overarching advice is to trust in the research you did ahead of time and enjoy the ACA you have purchased. Try to rest in the knowledge that it will be beautiful. I echo everything previous posters have said. It’s so hard to let go on something like this, but prioritize your relationship and do not put this task on your soon to be fiancé.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about ACAs being "pre-vetted".

IMO when selecting an ACA, all you have to be concerned with is what combination of Color, Clarity, and Carat you prefer for your budget.
With an ACA the Cut thing is taken care of in Spades ... and then some!

I have an ACA, and its light performance blows my mind!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results