shape
carat
color
clarity

About to purchase Agi diamond. Thoughts and Feedback Please!

taffylo

Rough_Rock
I have been a pricescope lurker for a months and months now. I have done tons of research and have finally decided to take the plunge and purchase a diamond for the setting my fiancee has picked out.

What I want:

Round Diamond
Ideal or Excellent Cut
As close to or around 1.5ct
Color J or higher (As per GIA standards)
Si1 or higher (As per GIA standards) No inclusions visible to the naked eye.

Budget:
5k on the center diamond

And finally what I have found and what I am planning on purchasing:

Stone Information
Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 1.50 ct
Cut: Excellent
Color: H
Clarity: VVS2
Certificate: AGI
Measurement: 7.33x7.41x4.39mm
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Medium - Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 59.50%
Table: 61%
Certificate #: 04MLNF1E2734448
Item ID: N_38734456_4774

This diamond is 100% natural and did not receive any treatments and is not enhanced in any way.

Above is the dealers information. I understand Agi NY is not a diamond appraising gemologist, but simply do independent in house insurance appraisals. However after reading reviews on here, I have found them to not be that far off. I am in hopes that after purchasing this diamond, I can take it to get another appraisal locally in hopes:

A) The diamond is a true Si1 or better and has no visible inclusions to the naked eye
B) least a true J or higher in color. When compared side by side to a GIA cert diamond.
C) Not clarity enhanced

I am getting the diamond for $5,450 which is a better price than I could find any GIA cert diamonds in that range.

Thoughts and feedback or very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: About to purchase Agi diamond. Thoughts and Feedback Ple

So many red flags here.

Comes down to this.

Nope. Don't do it.

You don't compare a stone to a GIA graded stone. You compare it to a set of Master color grading stones.

Oy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

taffylo|1449194406|3957179 said:
I am getting the diamond for $5,450 which is a better price than I could find any GIA cert diamonds in that range.

Thoughts and feedback or very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Because the diamond will not grade H VVS2 at GIA lab.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Ru, Forrest, run!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have been a pricescope lurker for a months and months now. I have done tons of research and have finally decided to take the plunge and purchase a diamond for the setting my fiancee has picked out.
If that is true then why are you buying this crappy diamond?... :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HELLO! MASSIVE RED FLAG!

It's only $5,450 because the grades are lies.
I'll bet ya a zillion bongo bucks $5,450 is actually more expensive than this same diamond would be if it was graded by GIA, with whatever sad (but accurate) grades that GIA gives it.

GIA-graded diamonds are not more expensive.
They are just not dishonestly graded.

Scam-lab diamonds are actually more expensive.

screen_shot_2015-12-03_at_8.png

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I couldn't get that diamond to come up on an AGI certificate search.

If you are serious about this stone and can't easily be talked out of it, the next step is to ask the jeweler to send it to GIA. Tell them that you will pay for the GIA cert and possibly some courtesy fee or maybe you'll buy something extra for their trouble. That is, you will pay if the diamond does in fact come in at Excellent/H/VVS2 and untreated. If the diamond comes in below Very Good/J/SI1, then the deal is off, or at least the price needs to be reconsidered.

Think of it this way. The proven Ex/J/S1 diamondseeker2006 pulled up for you is $7740. If they could sell that stone for $7740, why on earth would they sell it for $5450? Whatever it is, it is absolutely not a 1.5 carat, Excellent cut, J SI1 diamond.

That someone else once found an AGI diamond that was only one grade off is irrelevant. Some AGI diamonds are more than one grade off, and you have pretty definitive evidence that this one is more than one grade off.

taffylo

Rough_Rock

Thank you, Thank you, the feedback and red flags were much appreciated! I was accepting the fact that it would be a couple/few grades lower and thinking it was still an alright deal. But I really appreciate your feedback, as I am definitely going the GIA route. I have my eye set on a couple stones. The one that has my interest the most is this one in particular:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05968357

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

taffylo|1449278746|3957672 said:
Thank you, Thank you, the feedback and red flags were much appreciated! I was accepting the fact that it would be a couple/few grades lower and thinking it was still an alright deal. But I really appreciate your feedback, as I am definitely going the GIA route. I have my eye set on a couple stones. The one that has my interest the most is this one in particular:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05968357

Are you in the UK? If so, I can see why you might want to buy through BN, but the huge problem is that they don't provide pictures. If you take a look through James Allen for educational purposes, you will see that it is dangerous to buy even a GIA Excellent cut diamond without the pictures. That diamond is very good cut, is too deep making it face up smaller than a 1.5 should. It would be better to get a great cut 1.3 than a mediocre cut 1.5. You also have the problem of finding out if the stone is really eyeclean when you can't see images of the diamond.

Regardless, stick with GIA Excellent cut ONLY. That is a broad range and we generally only recommend a fraction of those. Here are some parameters that will help you have a better chance of getting a good stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results