shape
carat
color
clarity

About to buy from Harry Winston...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Finally coming out of lurkdome... been admiring all your gorgeous baubles though. Keep them coming!

I now sort of have something to talk about so I thought I''d post. I am about to get a micropave ring from HW. I don''t have all the specs yet but I do know a few aspects. It is 1.33/E/VVS2 cushion that is quite square. Anything else I need to know?

I''ve been looking at numerous places and it seems like HW has got my heart. I took a last look at De Beers today and I don''t think I''ll go with them. I''ve always loved the Lucida from Tiffany''s and Cartier 1895 is so very classic... but there''s something about HW. Perhaps because all their rings are hand made.

I guess what I''d like to know is that is the micropave/halo going to be considered a classic? I don''t want to have to change settings and such in the future because it''s a really expensive setting to have to change. Now that I''m about to make a commitment, I''m a little scared.

Oh,my ering is a RB set in platinum. It is 1.059/E/VS2. I wear this ring with a half micropave band. My wedding band is a 5-stone pink diamond set in yellow gold. I am thinking to reset my ering in yellow gold to wear with my pink band. With all this in mind, do you think the micropave/halo will add versatility? I just don''t want another round and other shapes don''t look good on me (unfortunately.)

One last thing, I sort of want 1.5 carats but because of the micropave, I think it might look to big on me (though I know there is no such thing as too large here!) However, I''m concerned that once I get older, my finger/hand size may get larger and my 1.33 might be too small or I may experience shrinkage.

Sorry for the book but what do you all think?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think that ring will be a classic. There is nothing like it. To my eye, it is easily the best design and execution of this style. Stunning.

I think you could go a little bigger. Why not? Then you never have to worry.

It sounds like you have a beautiful collection already and, yes, I think the mix of style, colors, and shapes would be great.

Please remember to post pictures.
1.gif

BTW, I hope you have done a search on this and know to ask for 30% of retail price at HW per Angela and others.
17.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
HW is an amazing jeweler and by buying from HW, you are sure to retain more value later on b/c your ring will be stamped. Like HW, Tiffany also makes each ring by hand to fit the stone for rings like Lucida or others. You would never get a build-a-ring from a top store like HW or Tiffany. Please post pictures of the ring if you buy it or if you have a pic we can see ahead of time from the site. I would love to see it!
35.gif

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your thoughtful replies! I did read up on the discount posts and am working on getting one right now. Though I think getting 30% will be a tough. I don''t think they''ll even go as high as 20%. It would be a total dream to get that!

The problem with getting a larger stone is that hubby does not like them so large. I tried on a 1.01 pave one and he said it was large enough. Oh well, he''ll have to get me another ring when I''m fifty should this ring look too small for my hand! Here in Japan, I do not see large diamonds. People wear expensive jewelery but not large diamonds. Not to say that no one wears them here, but it''s very rare.

I don''t have a picture of my ering but do have a pic of my wedding band that I wear everyday. I also have a pic of the one I''m in the process of haggling for! So here they are:

Arghh!!! Can''t seem to post pictures. Why is this?

gastro

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/8/2008 5:31:23 PM
Author: ginzagirl
Thanks for your thoughtful replies! I did read up on the discount posts and am working on getting one right now. Though I think getting 30% will be a tough. I don''t think they''ll even go as high as 20%. It would be a total dream to get that!

The problem with getting a larger stone is that hubby does not like them so large. I tried on a 1.01 pave one and he said it was large enough. Oh well, he''ll have to get me another ring when I''m fifty should this ring look too small for my hand! Here in Japan, I do not see large diamonds. People wear expensive jewelery but not large diamonds. Not to say that no one wears them here, but it''s very rare.

I don''t have a picture of my ering but do have a pic of my wedding band that I wear everyday. I also have a pic of the one I''m in the process of haggling for! So here they are:

Arghh!!! Can''t seem to post pictures. Why is this?

Make sure the file size is <100 KB or you can''t upload them. If they''re big, you''ll have to resize them.

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
Still can''t post pictures... I''m sure it''s partly because I''m pc- challenged!

Anyhoo, I think some of our past psers got great deals and I''ve tried my best but it''s tough to even get 15%.

Is there anyone out there who got great discounts recently and would like to let me know the SA''s name? I am so ready to buy but hate the fact that HW has given discounts to others and I''m not even getting a decent offer.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,
I think Angelainjapan worked with a sales associate by the name of Tony at the Las Vegas HW. The HW micropave is such an amazing setting, I doubt it or any of the other HW e-rings would ever go out of fashion. I''d choose it over any of the Tiff and Cartier e-rings. Hang in there and best of luck with the haggling!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the administrator can help you post the pictures? I''d love to see them too.
3.gif

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
I''ve tried several times to load images just now and still no luck... yes, maybe someone PLEASE HELP!!!!! The images I''ve attached are small... so I don''t think that''s the problem.

Now, which of these paves would you choose?

1.33 E/VVS2
Measurements: 7.19x6.76x3.87
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Good
Flourescence: None

OR
1.51 F/VS2
Measurements: can''t see on their scanned image
Polish: Excellent
Flourescence: Faint

I know the 1.5 does meet my size criterion, however, I''m not sure what flourescence will do to the overall look of the ring.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to say it but you should get the size you want. To me, hubby is paying, yes, but not wearing. So I would knock this one out of the park. Now, this comes from someone who would wear Elizabeth Taylor''s huge asscher to go to the food market, but...I am just saying, this is a signature gorgeous ring and the difference between the two sizes does not seem to be so vast that if one is really your hearts desire, try to get it!

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
Yes, 1.5 will be good enough for now. Here in Japan, people don''t wear large blings unless they''re over 60 (even here in Tokyo!) If I were in my home country, I would so sport a 2 carat without shame!

So if I were to go to 1.5 the polish, flourescence and VS2 won''t make too much of a difference?

Also, with the 1.5, I will be going over budget and although hubby is probably generous enough to go for it, I do feel guilty! I just love one too many fine things. Nothing wrong loving the finer things in life because it''s good to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor but dh is not as extravagant as I so I do feel bad sometimes as we only have one income too!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ginza, I am not a stone expert. Some might mind slight fluor, some might not. Really I am not sure.

Also, not to be flip, but guilt is a bit wasted. If he is willing and you guys can afford it, I see no issues. I get feeling a bit greedy or whatnot, but if he did not want you to have it or you really could not spend the money it might be different. You will have and love that ring always so try to get close to what you want. Enjoy it, it is one of my favorites!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
If I were buying this HW ring, I would choose the 1.33 E/ VVS2. One step up in color and two steps up in clarity (neither would I want flourescence) vs the difference between 1.51 and 1.33? E/ VVS2 and 1.33? It would be a done deal.

1.33 E/VVS2
Measurements: 7.19x6.76x3.87
Polish: Very good
Flourescence: None

OR
1.51 F/VS2
Measurements: can''t see on their scanned image
Polish: Excellent
Flourescence: Faint

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
You are right Diamonfan about the size and trying to attain what you''ve originally wanted.
That is the reason why I''m not jumping on the 1.33 right now. If I got the 1.33, I think I''d feel that it''s not 100% perfect. So 1.5 would be perfect!!! But I''ll have to wait to see if the flourescence and the lower grade will make much of a difference. Anyone can help here?

We can totally afford the ring.. but still feeling guilty. Hubby buys a lot for me, plus the many vacations I take per year! The poor guy thinks twice about buying a $700 dollar suit! Good grief!!! I guess that''s why he has money and I don''t!!!

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
So far I''ve got one vote for 1.51 and one for 1.33.

Imdanny - What does flourescence do to the diamond?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you find a 1.5 with slightly better specs? Of course the higher sound better but I am sure the larger stone is great or HW would not sell it.

And, your man sounds like a prince. Be grateful, I know many hubbies who buy anything they want, expensive televisions, golf stuff, and freak if their wives buy something pricey! I am sure you do appreciate him...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 1:27:03 AM
Author: ginzagirl
You are right Diamonfan about the size and trying to attain what you''ve originally wanted.
That is the reason why I''m not jumping on the 1.33 right now. If I got the 1.33, I think I''d feel that it''s not 100% perfect. So 1.5 would be perfect!!! But I''ll have to wait to see if the flourescence and the lower grade will make much of a difference. Anyone can help here?

We can totally afford the ring.. but still feeling guilty. Hubby buys a lot for me, plus the many vacations I take per year! The poor guy thinks twice about buying a $700 dollar suit! Good grief!!! I guess that''s why he has money and I don''t!!!
I wouldn''t worry about the fluoresence. My stone from Tiffs has it and it''s as bright as day. I''d go for the larger stone, and call it a day.
I love their rings, they do a great job in selecting their stones and their settings are gorgeous. HTH good luck!! I can''t wait for your pics!!!

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
Can''t wait for MY RING either. All this talk is making me dying for it too.

Thanks so much for all your input so far. This is the very reason I signed on to this site! I wanted to get opinions and help of people who have experience, and it''s also nice to speak to people without bias. Spoke to my sister and friends about this and they don''t seem so interested. Glad I found you guys!

Can you believe that I''m not getting anything near 20-30% mentioned here!?? Wonder if there has been a change in their company policy.

Diamondfan - hubby is wonderful but I always feel like I''m the opposite of him. He has had his car for 10 years now and fully intends to drive it for another 5 when we move!!! The man does not spend!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Than I would say you are a perfect match! He makes and you spend, I tell hubby that is a fair deal!!!

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
Haha! I love how you see things Diamondfan! Got to tell hubby tonight.

Talking about diamonds seems a lot more fun than doing yoga right now...

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
Oh yeah.. hubby and I were at HW in Tokyo a couple of weeks back around lunch time. Hubby was really hungry and asked if I wanted to eat. I told him that I''d prefer to eat HW''s diamonds! The SA had a good chuckle.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get some eye rolls from time to time...and hubby is not cheap with himself, but he feels between me and the kids and even our dog, he comes in last. Not true, but he sure likes to play the part!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Oh, let's let an expert answer that. I wouldn't want to be responsible for saying the wrong thing.
28.gif

Also, if you want help from the admin, I think you have to PM them.

It sounds like you really want the bigger one, but if you want to research it more,
you can look at Whiteflash's 40x pictures of VS2 and VVS2. As I said, I like VVS2.

But if you are just feeling guilty, I wouldn't. Is it that big of a difference?
17.gif

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
Imdanny - the difference isn''t huge but it is over what we had originally set out for by almost 10,000 thousand. Quite frankly, if you are spend 30,000, what''s another 10,000 right?! I just wonder if the inclusions are not noticeable by the naked eye then how does it affect the overall look of the diamond?

Diamondfan - I feel that you can teach me a thing or two!

I have other measurements for the 1.33

Table: 60%
Detpth: 57.1%
Thin-thick faceted.

Does it look like a good cut?

I have to get them to send me more specs for the 1.51.

I should get away from this computer and do yoga. But if I could eat diamonds, I wouldn''t have to exercise now, would I! Such as life!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
It''s impossible to judge fancy shapes using numbers. What''s most important is that you have seen the stone yourself and love the way it looks in varying lighting conditions.

Inclusions vary rarely affect the light return of a diamond until you get down to I1 or I2 clarity. In some cases, a single large cloud in an SI1 or SI2 can affect the look of a diamond. In the vast majority of cases, the inclusions in SI diamonds have no effect on brilliance. At VS2, you should have no concerns. In VS2 clarity, no inclusions will be eye visible from the top down, but it is possible that an inclusion may be visible from the side.

From reading lots of threads on these forums, it seems to me that clarity is a very individual choice and depends on what you are comfortable with. Some people like eye-clean SIs because they provide great value. Some people prefer to stay in the VS range to be "mind-clean." For others, nothing short of IF will do.

The Harry Winston cushion micropave halo is one of my very favorite designs. Good luck with your choice and wear it in good health!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Between those two, I''d go for the 1.51. You won''t notice a difference between E and F, you won''t notice a difference in clarity without a loupe, and I like blue flourescence in any stone, although it''s likely you won''t notice faint.

What you will notice between these two stones is a difference in size. :)

ginzagirl

Shiny_Rock
OK. It''s really tough to decide so we''ve decided to do a coin toss!

Urseberry and anyone else - do you think it''s not a good idea to buy a diamond without seeing it? I''m in Tokyo so won''t be able to see what I''m buying. I''ve got a picture they sent which I will try to post again (have tried many times without success.) Nope, it didn''t work! I''ll email admin.

Oh, btw, my friends thinks the 1.51 would be too large and would make me look old! Some nice friends huh!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I didn''t realize you are not able to see the stones in person. In that case, uploading the picture so we can all see it would help. The file name of the picture cannot have any special characters or spaces, and must be different from all other file names already on Pricescope. Make sure the file size is less than 100K, and rename the file with some numbers or your user name to make it unique.

I think you''re probably pretty safe with the Harry Winston name, and both cushions are probably beauties. Are they able to provide you with the millimeter measurement of the completed ring, halo and all? In that case, it might be helpful to draw a little cushion shape of the correct size and tape it to your finger. It sounds silly, but it will give you a better idea of how each ring will look.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think you should get a size that will be comfortable for you to wear where you live. I wouldn''t get too caught up with what other people have, particularly if they live in a different country/environment than you do. I''m sure whatever you get will be lovely.

Isn''t there a Harry Winston in Tokyo? Hong Kong? Singapore? If so, why not go to one of those nearby locations and select your ring in person?

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Hi sorry just to get it clear this is not an ering upgrade or anything, this is just going to be a right hand ring or something like that right? In any case I have a feeling your want the 1.5 right? then just go for it. Otherwise you might regret later

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results