shape
carat
color
clarity

about to buy 1.74c diamond... need final advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

billc

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I posted this a little while ago, but didn''t receive much feedback. I''m about to buy the diamond below, but wanted some expert opinions before pulling the trigger. Here it is:

-Round Brilliant
-GIA Cert
-1.74 carat
-Clarity: VS2
-Color: G
-Measurements: 7.83 x 7.87 x 4.66 mm
-Depth: 59.4%
-Table: 59%
-Pavilion: 40.5 degrees
-Crown: 34.5 degrees
-Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
-Culet: None
-Polish: Very Good
-Symmetry: Very Good
-Price: $12,750

I''d really appreciate your thoughts on the quality/price of this diamond. Thanks in advance.
-Bill

Blessed

Rough_Rock
Hi. Your diamond looks great on the HCA, scoring all excellents and .7 TIC. Also, the price looks good, too as on price stats it should range from $13,274-$11,634! Go for it! It sounds nice!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just a consumer. To me it looks like the depth measurement is a bit shallow.

I think you should definitely wait until some of the professionals reply though before buying the stone.

Edited to say I think I was wrong as I have seen some diamonds mentioned that have a depth of 60%. I do know that the table is not generally seen as being ideal as maximum table should be 57.5%.

There is a terminology which is sometimes used if you do a search on the forum called the 60:60 diamond which has a depth of 60% and a table of 60%.

If the stone has a good result as posted by the previous poster on the HCA then it should be a winner, I have read that anything under 2 on the HCA has a good cut.

Blessed

Rough_Rock
Hi again. You found a diamond that is just outside of what is considered ideal cut. Without knowing the pavillion depth and crown height,and taking the info you did give, it is probably a class 1B or 2a cut. What really gives a diamond it's sparkle is what you have--an awesome pavillion angle and crown angle combination that is very rare! (thus the .7 on the Holloway Cut Analysis--see this site) I have seen AGS 0 or 1A cuts, score poorly on the cut analysis and look lifeless in real life. This diamond you have should be absolutly gorgeous! Plus you've chosen a white G and VS2 and a stunning 1.74 ct!!!
Remember cut is the most important factor and after that people have their opinions. You have a well cut stone with beautiful angle combinations
You are way ahead of the game! Now, if you're still debating, try and get a little better deal on the price--getting closer to the lower figure
I stated above! Blessings!

billc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. BTW, I'm having it sent to an appraiser this week - should be interesting and educational for me.

Yeah, the dimensions are not in the typcial "ideal" range, but it does score very well on the HCA. I'm guessing the latter fact means the somewhat shallow depth is not something to be concerned about. In fact, from my semi-educated perspective, a diamond w/ a good HCA score and a shallow depth/large table seems to be the best of both worlds - great light reflection AND a stone that appears bigger than an average diamond of the same weight. Is this a correct interpretation?

Right now I can't find any similar diamonds (1.74c, VS2, G, GIA cert) for a lower price on pricescope. B - where did you find the prices you quoted?

Anyway, if anyone has more comments/suggestions re: this stone, please send them along. It's always nice to have validation when you're plunking down over $12k for something you knew nothing about a month ago.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone sounds excellent!! The price is very good for a G VS2, someone recently on here paid $17k for an E VS1 1.73carat well-cut superideal, so for you to get such a great deal and still have VS clarity is superb.

The stone itself does have non-ideal dimensions, but as someone else noted, sometimes those are the most interesting stones. With larger tabled, slightly more shallow depth stones, you do get a larger spread for the visual appeal, my stone is a larger tabled, shallow depth stone that looks excellent in person and the spread is an extra .12 carats. Always nice!! It's far from ideal (AGS 7 actually) but it's gorgeous in person! Scored 1.5 on the HCA when we first bought it, but since then some changes have pushed it into the 2.8 range. Still looks darn good, its a G VS1 and it faces up very white.

Anyway have the independent appraiser check it out, but it sounds like it could be a great deal. Let us know what happens and post pictures when you have them! Congrats on thinking a bit outside the box!
1.gif

Blessed

Rough_Rock
Hi. The spread IS nice!!!...About the pricing: Go to price stats here at Pricescope. You first have to detemine the cut class--they will tell you where to go--then check out a low-average price range. I have found beautiful diamonds in that price range, but it takes alot of checking and time is money. So, you've found a beauty. Many will say the price is good. you've checked the prices here and it doesn't get better than here (!) AND you haven't found anything as nice for less. (That doesn't mean it's not out there, though.) Bargain a bit...tell them what you found out...they know what their margins are.
Or if you are up to hunting go directly to the sites that are on Pricescope. Their inventories are huge. Whatever you decide, enjoy!!!Blessings!
1.74!! G!! VS2!! well-cut Holloway-Happy!!...in a few years $12,500 (or $11,700 or whatever you pay)will long be forgoten! Decisions...decisons!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results