carat
color
clarity

about girdle

heva

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm new here
i have confusion about my stone's girdle
I have a ring with nine 1.5mm stones that I believe are diamonds. I've own it for 4-5years now. recently I bought a loupe and inspect my diamonds and noticed that the girdle is round, not faceted, see-through & sparkling. I compared it to cheap czs which are larger in size & their girdles are not clear, opaque & dull. can someone confirms that diamond's girdle is transparent?

thanks a lot.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not quite sure what you are talking about but you can see a diamond girdle by looking at this stone as it rotates around.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.26-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-687803

Girdles can be polished (clear looking), faceted, or bruted (sort of frosted looking).

Edit - can you take your ring to a jewelry store (or pawn shop) and have it tested to see if they are diamonds? This should be free
(if not, go somewhere else). The "look" of a stone's girdle is not going to tell you whether it is a diamonds or not.

heva

Rough_Rock
Hi
thank you for your quick response.
I saw the link you posted and the girdle is clear and faceted right? mine is smooth & clear, no facet.

about taking the ring to a pawnshop, I'm not sure about that. I don't know if it exists in my country. I tried the fog test and the stones clear up almost instantly. I wouldn't say instantly but faster than the czs. czs are easy to find here.

this ring is cheap, bought from a Thai street seller. I know, it sounds impossible but I think I beat the odds. after owning it for 4 years the stones still shine-looking without proper cleaning. (since it's cheap, I don't give a damn about it) but my sister keeps saying the stones are something hence I decided to get a loupe and clean it with toothpaste & brush and voila, it sparks fire. under magnification it shows no scratches or abrasion but dirts, yes. so I kind of believe these are tiny diamonds...

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DO you not have jewellery stores where you are? They should also be able to tell. The home tests aren't always accurate.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Do not use toothpaste on a diamond! It is too abrasive and can dull your diamond polish.

Mild dish soap or ammonia and water are better choices and of course jewelry cleaner. =)

Diamond testers are just $9.99 many places online.

Maybe it's a white sapphire?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Why do so many people shy away from the obvious course of action go to a jeweler and get them tested - until you do its all in your head - or are you just a day dreamer and prefer to remain in ignorance dreaming you have diamonds when in fact you have glass :wall:

heva

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I'm sorry I missed that part where it says 'jewelery store'.
In fact I have visit two of them before I ask question here. the first store girl says it's CZ. of course I don't trust her. firstly because many rings that the store carries are mounting CZs and I can easily compare them with mine. secondly, she's just a salesgirl not a goldsmith.

the second store couldn't tell what stones are they. I asked her to make a new 9k ring with the stones but she refused it because the prongs are too secure and she afraid that that might break the stones & asked me to just buy a new ring from her.

so I think I'll just get me a diamond tester. Thanks for all the opinions.

heva

Rough_Rock
@FancyIntense
I've read somewhere on the net that it's ok to clean diamonds using toothpaste. the writer claims that he/she is a jeweller for many, many years.

p.s. maybe mine wasn't diamonds at all

heva

Rough_Rock
@FancyIntense
I've read somewhere on the net that it's ok to clean diamonds using toothpaste. the writer claims that he/she is a jeweller for many, many years.

p.s. maybe mine wasn't diamonds at all

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyIntense|1446985290|3946967 said:
Do not use toothpaste on a diamond! It is too abrasive and can dull your diamond polish.

Toothpaste cannot scratch/dull your diamond, though it may scratch/dull/ and eventually even wear away a diamond's metal setting.

Diamond is so hard the only thing that can scratch it is another diamond.
There's no way they'd put diamond dust into tooth paste.
We'd have no tooth enamel left.

heva

Rough_Rock
Hello guys
before I get my diamond tester, I wanted to share my ring's pix with you all. I do not know much about gemstones so thoughts & opinions are most welcomed.

this is my ring under different lightings.
as you can see, the table is large because of the size and I can only see fire from the edges. if you look directly into it you won't see any colours. sometimes it looks silverish. so what do you guys think?

photo_collage_maker_jo2eae.png

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CZs have more fire than diamonds, by the way. If what you were trying to capture with the very blurry photos was fire, that doesn't point to diamonds. These are almost certainly not diamonds.

heva

Rough_Rock
Hi Tourmaline,

thank you for your reply. yup, I intend to capture fire with the blurry picture. so you think it is czs? and how diamond 's fire is different from its simulant?

heva

Rough_Rock
Still haven't got a diamond tester. I took another pix of the ring just to compare with previous photo. the top right is my ring with a large CZ cufflink. you can see that the CZ outshines my ring. also, this time I try not to capture fire. sometimes it's fiery, and other times only looks white. I'm still hopeful that it is not CZ.

Perhaps to some people this discussion is pointless until I confirm that it's diamond but maybe I can gain something about stones from your experiences with diamonds.

Thanx.

photo_collage_maker_rxeowo.png

heva

Rough_Rock
also I wanted to know what can you see if you see thru the bottom of a diamond when the top (table) faces up to fluorescent light?

I know diamond bends light and you cannot see thru it when faced upside down on a newspaper but what happen if you see it from bottom without turning it upside down. do you see prism of colours or what?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Heva, before you drive yourself completely crazy since someone with no experience and education almost certainly cannot ascertain what the stones are home, I recommend also that you simply go to a jeweler with a diamond tester. This would be the cheapest and fastest way. Otherwise, you can get your own tester. The photos are of such low quality that one cannot tell anything based on them. Anyhow, no one would be able to tell you for sure what your stones are based on photos, people can give you ideas though. Based on these photos and yes take into account the quality of them, I would not guess that the stones are diamonds, they could be any colorless stones anyhow. They should be tested. The appear to be dull and lifeless which may be due to dirt as well, or them not being diamonds. Get them professionally tested preferably, jewelers can do that for you today and usually at no cost to you.

heva

Rough_Rock
Hi Sunstorm,
thank you for replying. yes, the photo is low in quality because I want to reduce the size of it. my phone has no ext. storage so I don't want to keep any unnecessary media on my phone. the camera is actually 13mp.

you're right, unless you see the stones in person, photos can't tell much. I took a photo of CZ and it looks so dull and white while in reality it's so fiery with rainbows inside the stone and I know nothing can replace a visit to a jewelery store to have it tested.

I appreciate your comment. When I first opened a thread here I know people will ask me to take it to a gemologist/jeweller rather than asking for opinions. But still here I am asking for opinions...

about the diamond tester, I have to buy it online so it's gonna takes days or weeks before it arrives. just bear with me until then :p

so, nobody wants to answer how the diamond refract light looking from bottom?

heva

Rough_Rock
I also bought a few CZ ring to study the characteristics of CZ and compare them with my ring. of course I could not afford to buy a few diamond ring for the sake of study.
many of the stones sell here are white (maybe white sapphires) when compare to mine side by side and mine will look silverish.

I have seen few (claimed) diamond ring that appears white and other that looks bluish@faint purple. so, can't really tell just by looking. but I hope to distinguish them just by looking 8-)

Q

Queenie60

Heva: What's the real deal here? Can't you just take the diamond ring to a jeweler and have it tested to see if it's real or not? Too much drama for a simple ring???? :confused:

heva

Rough_Rock
Hi Queenie,
thank you for your comment. this simple ring is cheap and why I don't bring it to a jeweller simply because it hurts my feeling when people says it can't be diamond, surely it's fake because it's set on metal. not that I could not afford a diamond ring but I want to save it for a special occasion like wedding or engagement. I'm ok if it's not diamond, really. I'm just excited if this uber cheap ring I bought few years ago is worth more than its look & price. that's it.

Today's update is I think two of my stones look dirty inside. they look like black & brown tiny specks inside the stones & I'm sure it's not on the outside. I heard that diamonds are not flawless but maybe other types of natural stone got flaws too. I have noticed it before but I thought it's the setting reflection. so that's all for now.

Thank you for reading.
ciaoo

heva

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
so I have received my diamond tester yesterday. I went to buy a battery today since it's not included and ran a test on my ring. I'm glad to inform that it comes out as diamonds. I also tested other bigger fake stones of mine and nada. no red light nor beeping sound.

thank you guys for your opinions. I know it's not professionally tested but I feel kind of relieved that my claim is not groundless. I am actually anxious if it's not diamonds and I have to inform you guys that all this while I'm just being obsessed. so I guess I got lucky with this ring. Hopefully I'll get lucky with a bigger stone next time =)

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
What a load of rubbish they are not diamonds you did not get lucky you just wanted to break the rules and chat about the unmentionable :wall:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NOT AN EXPERT but the probability that a manufacturer of unmentionables would create stones of that small size with carbon inside them seems low. (to me)

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Sphene said:
What a load of rubbish they are not diamonds you did not get lucky you just wanted to break the rules and chat about the unmentionable :wall:
[emoji2]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results