shape
carat
color
clarity

Aaaaaiiiieeeeeeeee.... progress and suspicious activity!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
So my darling and I had a rather long and somewhat stressful conversation about the engagement ring a few days ago. But it was quite necessary and we were able to put everything on the table, our frustrations, our wants, and figure it all out with a game plan in mind. H is planning to propose by the end of June, because he simply cannot wait any longer to be my fiance, my future husband. I could honestly wait longer, but its for completely selfish reasons. He has a very limited budget (originally he had his grandma''s ering, but we won''t go there
29.gif
). As some of you have figured out, we haven''t been together long, its been a whirl-wind romance. I wouldn''t mind waiting so he could save more money (yes this is my only reason). But H is adamant and says please just let him have this one thing. So since he treats me like a queen, I''m ok with it. I have tried to brainstorm ways to save money and, ahem, tone down the ering that I have dreamed of, although its nothing outrageous (.8+ H VS2 H&A with pave or sidestones or both).

So I sent him and his best friend who is assisting him with the selection and whole process (thank heavens someone is!) some links to sapphire rings and a few settings and loose stones. I haven''t even gotten to the diamonds yet. Last night his friend K is over, and he apparently has some connections with the jewelry industry because of a past job (woo hoo
31.gif
)! I start getting these phone calls, from H of course, but K is in the background giving him all the questions!

"Honey what shape stone do you want again?"
"And that first link, its your favorite right? What is your favorite solitaire?"
"Do you like blue sapphires the best? Not green or white?"
"What''s your ring size again?"
Eventually his friend K gets on the phone because he can''t stand the back and forth anymore. "How do you feel about Tiffany''s?" Eeegaaads!
23.gif
"What''s your favorite flower, favorite color of flower? Do you have the colors for the wedding picked out yet? What about an accent color? Do you like the darker or lighter sapphires? Your address?" Completely random and crazy.
LMAO!!!!
26.gif
9.gif

I told him to chill, lets focus on the ring for now! Then we will plan a wedding. And I assure him he can help since he loves this kind of stuff (and he will be the best man).

So H sent me a few links, but then I tell him to slow down. We are planning on looking at rings together in 2 weeks when we meet up in Des Moines. And a few other things, not sure I want to sacrifice side stones for a solitaire just to get a bigger rock. I really want to look at some on my finger before I narrow down my favorite settings since I have a lot. Etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, after all that long winded rambling (believe me it was a lot more crazy last night with the multiple phone calls). I will post some of my faves from the sapphire/gemstone collection and perhaps get into my favorite settings and diamonds as well. Since you know, who doesn''t want to look at those!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
This is my top choice!

J1363_1.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Side view, I have been dreaming about a 3 stone trellis for years!

J1363_4.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Six prong royal crown like setting. The story behind the solitaires I sent him, was that they are cheaper. But after the stressful money talk, I didn''t want to say that. So I just am playing it as giving him options.
2.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
that is an EEEEEK convo! best wishes!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Yes I do love that medium blue ceylon sapphire, prefer the rounds or cushion cuts.

J13601.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Trellis Solitaire I love! Although if pave was in the budget....
25.gif

trellis solitaire.JPG

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Love this setting for how much of the stone it shows off!

J15802.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Just look at that profile!

J15801234.jpg

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
i love that last one, but they are all very beautiful!!
what a converstation!!!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TLH and J! I couldn''t sleep for a while and had to pace the apt while talking with a good friend just to calm down I was so excited!

This is my favorite cushion, its in the trellis setting above.

J1542h1.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
And this cushion is in the royal crown setting.

J1539a23.jpg

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love the sapphires. The 3 stone is my fave!

In case you wanted to go with the royal crown type setting, Pearlman''s has an 18k wg one on consignment for $350, in case that would be helpful.

Vatche 18k WG Royal Crown

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 6:33:56 PM
Author: brooklyngirl
I love the sapphires. The 3 stone is my fave!

In case you wanted to go with the royal crown type setting, Pearlman''s has an 18k wg one on consignment for $350, in case that would be helpful.

Vatche 18k WG Royal Crown

Thanks BG! Unfortunately, my finger size is a whopping 8. Any other help is welcome
28.gif

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about that, but it never hurts to ask about resizing. Since it''s a solitaire, I imagine there is a lot more wiggle room :)

I''ll see if I can dig up anything else.

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on all the progress ILS!! I absolutely adore the trellis solitaire, and I love your sense of style. Keep us posted on all the suspicious activity, can''t wait to hear the proposal story!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried these rings on?

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Yaaay. I love trellis settings.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 8:45:07 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Have you tried these rings on?

No, they are from The Natural Sapphire Company online. Which is partly why I want to look in person before I decide on a few choices for him. Why do you ask Freke?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I love trellis settings, particularly the three-stone. I''d probably go with a round sapphire, though. But all choices are lovely!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 12:29:45 AM
Author: mscushion
I love trellis settings, particularly the three-stone. I''d probably go with a round sapphire, though. But all choices are lovely!

Why do you say that dear? I know nothing about sapphires really. Spent all this time learning about diamonds. LOL!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Can anyone tell me why Freke and Mscushion asked if I had tried the rings on? I haven''t and am now worried! H and I are going to look in 2 weeks, but they will not be THE ring. We are going to a B&M store and he will likely purchase the ring online.

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
ilovesparkles,

I think they asked because sometimes you like something in pictures, but when you see them on your hand you don''t like them on. I do think it is important to try on lots of different styles to see what looks best on you. I have very long thin fingers, and always liked wide band type rings. I was very surprised that to find that they don''t look good on me at all. So sometimes you really have to see it on to know for sure.

I love your choices! My RHR is a three stone, round sapphire with two round diamonds. I absolutely love it and think it would make a gorgeous engagement ring. I don''t have a trellis setting,but I think they are gorgeous.

Good Luck!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
We may have found the one!!!!! My breath has been taken away by a beauty that I stumbled upon! And it has pretty much everything I could have ever wanted in a ring. Although H is confused as to why I still want to try some on in 2 weeks. LOL. He is going to try and place this sucker on hold today!

217spr-1.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Pave, miligrain, filigree, and a basket setting
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

217spr-3.jpg

missbunnie66

Rough_Rock
omg that is sooo beautiful!! when i figure out how to upload pics, i will show everyone my ring too.

GG414

Rough_Rock
That looks like a lovely ring, but for your protection I would post it over on colored stones and get those ladies'' expert opinion b/c buying sapphires is so different from buying diamonds. I have found this out b/c I originally thought I wanted a sapphire and lurked over on colored stones for a while. You have to worry about all kinds of crazy things like heat treatment, beryllium treatment, color zoning, etc. e.g. Green sapphires are generally not considered desirable and so they shouldn''t be priced as high as blue sapphires.

Sorry, don''t mean to rain on your parade b/c it is very exciting to actually be buying something. I do like the setting and color, just want you to get something that is the quality you expect.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 11:29:58 AM
Author: GG414
That looks like a lovely ring, but for your protection I would post it over on colored stones and get those ladies'' expert opinion b/c buying sapphires is so different from buying diamonds. I have found this out b/c I originally thought I wanted a sapphire and lurked over on colored stones for a while. You have to worry about all kinds of crazy things like heat treatment, beryllium treatment, color zoning, etc. e.g. Green sapphires are generally not considered desirable and so they shouldn''t be priced as high as blue sapphires.

Sorry, don''t mean to rain on your parade b/c it is very exciting to actually be buying something. I do like the setting and color, just want you to get something that is the quality you expect.

Thanks GG414, as soon as H gets a hold of the company and puts it on hold, I am going to do exactly that! Place it on Colored Stones forum that is! I have a zircon and know a little bit, but couldn''t understand why this particular ring is in our budget! I know its untreated, but I don''t know anything about the vendor or the cut etc. Thanks for the heads up!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 9:48:02 PM
Author: Anastasia
ilovesparkles,

I think they asked because sometimes you like something in pictures, but when you see them on your hand you don't like them on. I do think it is important to try on lots of different styles to see what looks best on you. I have very long thin fingers, and always liked wide band type rings. I was very surprised that to find that they don't look good on me at all. So sometimes you really have to see it on to know for sure.

I love your choices! My RHR is a three stone, round sapphire with two round diamonds. I absolutely love it and think it would make a gorgeous engagement ring. I don't have a trellis setting,but I think they are gorgeous.

Good Luck!
Yes. This is why I asked. I originally wanted an oval. It looked funky on my hand. So now I have a round. And it's perfect for me.

Do you have any other pics of the green sapphire ring head on? I'm worried about that cut.

ETA: Also, I actually got the Vatche Royal Crown (a replica), and really dislike it for my ering. If I had tried it on before I got it, he would have known to not get it, and wouldn't be getting a custom ering instead...

ETAA: where did you find that ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results