shape
carat
color
clarity

AAA vs. Gem grade/Freshadama/Presidential

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Will I really see a difference between AAA and the "gem quality" ones? The price difference is pretty big. I''m more used to shopping for diamonds and I know I''d never pay for VVS clarity because that''s something I''ll never really see. Does anyone own both? I definitely want the prettiest, most lustrous pearls I can find, but I''d love to know how much of a difference there really is between AAA and the bestest of the best.
1.gif
Thanks!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kelli-

According to this link http://pearlparadise.com/Freshwater-pearl-grading.htm i get the impression that freshadamas are better than AAA.
As far as gem quality vs freshadamas or presidetial, i have no idea. Am wondering if each vendor has their own definition. I''d call and ask.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have bought both a AAA strand and Freshadama strand so I will come back a little later and tell you my personal thoughts on it.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 11:52:51 AM
Author: Skippy123
I have bought both a AAA strand and Freshadama strand so I will come back a little later and tell you my personal thoughts on it.
GREAT! That''s exactly what i''m hoping for. Thank you!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Kelli,

Okay, here are my thoughts; I bought my mom a beautiful grey/blue necklace. When it arrived it was perfectly round and a super size, consistent in size too and had orient that was amazing. There were 3 flaws (which were very small). I did count the pearls and divided by the flaws and they fell into the 95% category which matched their AAA grading. To me they were both gorgeous except there is a difference to my eagle eyes; they were not as smooth to the touch as the freshadamas. I do have to say that the Pearl Outlet did a fantastic job and for the price it was great. I guess if you want perfection then I would go with the Freshadamas but if you want to save a little money I would go with the AAA. The necklace looks beautiful on my mom and it would probably allow you to go up in size. I think AAA's are about 95% flawless?

not sure if you saw this thread by the way? https://www.pricescope.com/forum/who-s-who/kelli-you-re-next-t104187.html

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippy! Your post was, as always, very helpful.
1.gif
I think that for an everyday white pearl strand, I''d go with the Freshadamas, but may experiment with some pretty colors in the AAAs. That is, when I can afford it... I''m SOOOOO wanting some pearls now, but I still want some small diamond studs. Decisions decisions... Someday hopefully soon though, I''ll be the proud owner of both!
11.gif

And no, I had never even looked at that forum before. How nice! Thanks for pointing it out!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Skippy- thank you so much for comparing the AAA and the Freshadama''s! I''ve always kind of wondered how much of a difference there would be between them.
1.gif
And with orient?! That is awesome.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Ok so I have a somewhat negative review for the "gem-grade" pearls at TPO. I got my lavender graduated strand today and there are flaws that are very easy to find, and many of the smaller pearls are out of round. From a normal viewing distance they still look good, and they''re a very pretty color with nice luster, but definitely not as perfect as the three different pairs of freshadama studs from PP I''ve gotten people as gifts. I think I might still keep them since the price was low and they''re pretty, but I doubt I''ll buy from TPO again, at least not the gem-grades. To me, they just don''t compare to the freshadamas.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kelli! I've been waiting for someone to comment on TPO's gem grades!

ETA: Do you think there's a chance that maybe that's why they put the strands on sale? Just a thought.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It seems like a bad business decision for them to put less-than-desirable stuff in the sales, because that''s probably going to be many people''s introduction to their business & if the customers don''t like what they get, they won''t come back. Nor will anyone who reads about it here, say, or on other boards.

Kelli, I think you should call and tell them you''re not satisfied and see if they can send you a better strand.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''ve thought about it. I figure I''ll think about it until Monday, then decide what to do.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Kelli, I''m sorry to hear this. I have a longer message in your daily deals post but I can''t blame you in rethinking your decision to not order from TPO in the future. If you are not happy, and it sounds like you have every reason to not be, I would agree with your decision.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Aww Kelli- Sorry you''re not loving them. I know how ya feel. It''s a good idea to wear them for a few days though and see if you change your mind.

I don''t own (yet) any freshwater pearls to compare but I''d also love to see pics of the difference in "AAA and the bestest of the best".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results