shape
carat
color
clarity

A-Z buying an oval shaped diamond

paris29

Shiny_Rock
I am getting ready to buy a 3ct oval shaped diamond. I was hoping you ladies can provide me with any information you have about selecting the right oval. I have gone through the majority oval threads but I still feel I do not have a very firm knowledge about ovals. I want to make sure the oval I buy is perfect/near perfect.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Paris,
I''m not a lady- but I have bought thousands of oval diamonds.
There''s really no method, other than looking at them , to see if it has a look you like.
A bowtie can be an attractive element of the cut, or an overly dark stripe across the middle of the stone- but the only way to tell is to look at the stones.
Plus, not all ovals will have a bowtie at all.....

Are you purchasing in a store, or online?

paris29

Shiny_Rock
Thanks rockdiamond. I am purchasing my diamond from a private jeweler. However I am thinking of getting my setting from online. I''m not a big fan of the bowtie and even when it is not very noticeable, they really stand out to me. I would like to find an oval with no bowtie at all.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That''s kind of tough, as ovals without any bowtie at all are rather rare...but if you''re looking in person you''ll be in a great position to assess that aspect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results