shape
carat
color
clarity

A VS2 that really looks like an SI

bmemon

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I really wish I had been to this site prior to purchasing my diamond. I have been looking for a loose diamond for an engagement ring since last October(prices have freakin spiked!).

In any case, I finally settled on one and think I got a decent deal. But I am concerned that the diamond has too many inclusions and really looks like an SI instead of a VS. So my two questions are..

Do you think it is a decent deal for $9000?
How do you feel about the inclusions, is the grading not accurate on the diamond? It is GIA Certified.

Below is the information of the stone. I have attached the picture of the stone, the stone placed with the setting that is picked out and a picture of the inclusions.

Thank you for all the help!

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.82 - 6.85 x 4.18 mm
Carat Weight: 1.20 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 33.0°
Crown Height: 14.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Pinpoints are not shown.

51Y407lRptL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

photo.JPG

photo(2).JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inclusion plot tells you nothing of the severity/visibility of the inclusions, just the x-y location and type. If you are worried, un mount the stone and get it independently appraised or send to another trusted lab like AGS.

bmemon

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! I will take a look through a loupe again to check for the inclusions. Do you think I got a decent deal for the price I purchased it for?

Thanks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have to trust the GIA cert at one point. Stones can be "incorrectly" graded, but you as a novice can't judge that. I would say that as long as you cannot see the inclusions with the naked eye no matter how you look at the stone, then that is all that matters.

BTW that is not a real photo of the diamond, it is some sort of drawing.

bmemon

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Just wanted some reassurance...I am really kicking myself for not buying earlier this year since things have gone up like 20%

bmemon

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I couldn't see anything with the naked eye and the photo was just from the site...thanks for all the help and information!

Dreamer_D|1306253228|2929145 said:
You have to trust the GIA cert at one point. Stones can be "incorrectly" graded, but you as a novice can't judge that. I would say that as long as you cannot see the inclusions with the naked eye no matter how you look at the stone, then that is all that matters.

BTW that is not a real photo of the diamond, it is some sort of drawing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are welcome. It does suck to pay more now, but at least you paid a fair price based on online comps.

bmemon

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1306253904|2929153 said:
You are welcome. It does suck to pay more now, but at least you paid a fair price based on online comps.

You're absolutely right..knowing I could have gotten something better for that price really does suck. However, I am concerned the market may ease up come october/november

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
bmemon|1306255599|2929178 said:

You're absolutely right..knowing I could have gotten something better for that price really does suck. However, I am concerned the market may ease up come october/november

It could. We cannot know. Is this an engagement ring? If you are concerned about prices, I suggest you disentangle the diamond from the proposal, then, and propose when you are ready and buy the stone when you are similarly ready. I hate to think that you are putting your life on hold for the diamond market ;))

bmemon

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1306269925|2929325 said:
bmemon|1306255599|2929178 said:

It could. We cannot know. Is this an engagement ring? If you are concerned about prices, I suggest you disentangle the diamond from the proposal, then, and propose when you are ready and buy the stone when you are similarly ready. I hate to think that you are putting your life on hold for the diamond market ;))

lol..i've been looking for a while and dates aren't set so i've really jsut been looking to get mor einformation and pull the trigger if i get a great deal. i got the diamond that i posted on here..but I am still concerned...it is the VS2...however...i can definitely see inclusions with the naked eye towards the mid to the bottom of the diamond. i am pretty disappointed, as i thought vs2 was supposed to be relatively eye clean..but i can see those inclusions without even trying..although they are all only visible if looked at on the side

bmemon

Rough_Rock
actually..its only noticeable at eve level from looking at the girdle of the the diamond all around..not from the bottom

druidtime

Rough_Rock
bmemon|1307298636|2938428 said:
actually..its only noticeable at eve level from looking at the girdle of the the diamond all around..not from the bottom

But mounted in the ring from the top can you see any inclusions? Truly that is all you should care about.

I have exceptional vision, and on my VS2 I can see the few and minor (cloud) inclusions if I look from the side. I am however extremely hard pressed to find them looking top-down in the ring.

Even when using a 10x loupe, I can only view the inclusions from the side, and not the top-down view. If you are clean from the top, I wouldn't worry! People won't be whipping out their loupe and examining your stone from all angles when it is on display.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clarity is graded face on, they do not look side on or from the bottom when assigning a clarity grade. So it is not at all uncommon to see inclusions from the side of a VS2 diamond -- not totally common, but not uncommon either. If you really don't want to see inclusions from the side, you need to tell your vendor so they can assess that for you, or go to a VS1 to be sure you cannot see a thing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you sure you are not seeing the girdle reflection from the side? Looke like the picture below. If so, its not an inclusion, it is a reflection and is normal.

Attachments

• girdledd.bmp
    411 KB · Views: 354
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results