shape
carat
color
clarity

A Visit to Tiffany''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today Tacori and I met for lunch and went to Tiffany''s and another jeweler called Christian Bernard. She wanted to buy her bridesmaids gifts at Tiffany, and I wanted to look at diamond color and size and settings one more time. (The last time I went there, I was afraid to ask to try on diamonds, but I did this time!) It was so much fun! And I enjoyed getting to see Tacori''s beautiful Tacori e-ring with that gorgeous emerald cut diamond in person!

I''ll have to say, Tiffany''s has an awesome display of diamond rings! Anyone with a Tiffany ring is certainly most fortunate! I was looking at RB diamonds between 1.25 and 1.5 to try and see what size I like best. The bad thing is, whatever you try on in there, it doesn''t seem too big, so I might have to come down to reality in a day or two!

I did not write down stats, but the rings I tried on were in the vicinity of 1.4 and were $24,000-27,000. That Tiffany knife edge is substantial and beautiful! It felt a little strange, though, so I hope that is something one would get used to. I also tried on a baby Kaleigh ring, but it was too small with a 1ct center. I tried on a round with baguettes but didn''t like the way it looked with any of the diamond wedding bands.

One strange thing was that the lighting in there made it impossible for me to differentiate color. They all looked alike to me. When out of the case and in the dim overhead light, they all looked a little dark face up, yet they were very sparkly. So this made me realize that I might have been wrongly thinking the H diamond I am looking at is too tinted, because it was only in low lamp light that I felt I could see the tint. So I didn''t totally resolve the color issue today since I didn''t think Tiff''s would like the idea of me walking outside with the E and G on to see the color difference!
9.gif

Then...I couldn''t leave there without putting a Legacy on my finger! Oh my, if I won the lottery this would have to be on my list! He first gave me the smaller less expensive one (which corresponded in price more to the RB''s I tried on). It was certainly beautiful! But then I asked to try on the other, which had a 2 ct. center stone. Ahhh, now that one was perfect
30.gif
, and it was also $40,000[$$)].

Then we went to Christian Bernard since they carry Hearts on Fire diamonds. The largest stone she had in stock was a 1 ct., so I asked her to check the stock on the 1.3-1.5 range. A G VS1 1.33 cts. was listed at $19,775.

I am basically mentioning all this to remind us all how fortunate we are to have found PS and the PS vendors who sell us diamonds of similar quality as above for a much lower price. It puts much finer quality within reach of those of us who will never win the lottery!
36.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you guys had a fun outing and that you had the chance to see some different diamonds! Did any of this help you make a decision about your own ring?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Cool! It looks like it was Pricescope day at T&Co! A bunch of us in LA went there too
9.gif
Those rings you tried on must have been beautiful and huge. Isn't it fun? I tried on the Etoile band with scattered diamonds. I liked it, but it's too wide to wear with a tiffany style solitaire. I'm still thinking though
2.gif

Ya, so did you make any decisions besides NOT buying from Tiffany's? hehe

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too have found it quite difficult to differentiate color in jewelry stores. But I think that''s their point. Maybe there''s an office inside that you could look in next time. My jeweler has her office right off the showroom and it''s easy to see color differences in there. Might be difficult to do any walking around a Tiffany''s with merchandise in your hand though. But I think it''s the only way - those lights are there to make viewing nuances difficult! They make all stones look good.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
I went to T $ co and Cartier.............tried on a 3 carat legacy, 2.39 simple legacy, a 4 1/2 carat cushion at Cartier as well as a couple of EC''s...............I asked if the cushion was an H --she was so offended NO its a D! Funny thing though. I had my 5 year old with me who said I dont like any of these, they are all white. I like the colored ones....................
face23.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 10:25:18 PM
Author: windowshopper
I went to T $ co and Cartier.............tried on a 3 carat legacy, 2.39 simple legacy, a 4 1/2 carat cushion at Cartier as well as a couple of EC's...............I asked if the cushion was an H --she was so offended NO its a D! Funny thing though. I had my 5 year old with me who said I dont like any of these, they are all white. I like the colored ones....................
face23.gif

hehe WS, that sounds just like my 4 years old. she loves the colored stones and heart shaped diamonds
16.gif

DS- sounds like you and Tacori had a nice day. We getting a local Tiffany later this summer and I'm looking forward to scoping out some rings in person too.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I went to T $ co and Cartier.............tried on a 3 carat legacy, 2.39 simple legacy, a 4 1/2 carat cushion at Cartier as well as a couple of EC''s...............I asked if the cushion was an H --she was so offended NO its a D! Funny thing though. I had my 5 year old with me who said I dont like any of these, they are all white. I like the colored ones....................
face23.gif

hehe, funny she was offended at the H color. I guess they pride themselves on selling *expensive* stuff
3.gif
That is so cute, what your little girl said! But just show her the colors coming off of the diamonds that may sway her - it did me!
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
face23.gif
Ah, from the mouth of babes - would have loved to have been there to witness that.
2.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 10:36:58 PM
Author: sunkist

face23.gif

hehe, funny she was offended at the H color. I guess they pride themselves on selling *expensive* stuff
3.gif
That is so cute, what your little girl said! But just show her the colors coming off of the diamonds that may sway her - it did me!
2.gif
actually the cushions showed lots of black out spots..........plus the lighting is very bad IMO

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2006 10:15:26 PM
Author: Sundial
I''m so glad you guys had a fun outing and that you had the chance to see some different diamonds! Did any of this help you make a decision about your own ring?
Well, I think I am pretty firm on the size issue. I''d like the diameter to be about 7.1 to 7.2mm which is about 1.33-1.4 cts. The color issue has me stumped. I may still consider H, but I want a VS1 and preferably a 55-56 table.

I forgot to mention that the w-band that looked best with the knife-edge solitaire was a shared prong band with 8 point diamonds (I tried a 7 stone). I love that look if I could find a band that would not cut into a solitaire.

The other look I love is antique settings like Tacori or the one antique setting that I have seen Mark Morell do. But that is an overwhelming thought to have to investigate all the possibilities there. I''m having so much trouble deciding on the diamond that I may default to a Tiffany knife edge repro and diamond band to save my sanity!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my youngest daughter would have been in heaven with all those sparkles, too!

And guess what,ladies? He told me you could get the Legacy with a colored stone center! So there ya go, WS! Sounds like a great RHR to me!

WS, I couldn't tell the E from the G. I asked to walk to the window where the light was a little better and I still couldn't see the difference. So I am probably not going for an E.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 10:48:43 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Oh, my youngest daughter would have been in heaven with all those sparkles, too!

And guess what,ladies? He told me you could get the Legacy with a colored stone center! So there ya go, WS! Sounds like a great RHR to me!

WS, I couldn''t tell the E from the G. I asked to walk to the window where the light was a little better and I still couldn''t see the difference. So I am probably not going for an E.
yes i saw the colored stone versions with paraiba and pink tourmaline- gorgeous but $$$$

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
how fun!
36.gif
thanks for the report ds. i have to say, i love well cut ''g'' color stones!
18.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great report! I enjoyed shopping vicariously through you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WS, I am envious that you got to see the colored stone Legacy''s! I can imagine they would be as expensive as a halo ring with a diamond from one of our vendors!

Belle, I think I''d love a G. I have a very nice F 1.39 possibility, too, but I am uncertain about taking that price jump.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2006 11:22:25 PM
Author: KristyDarling
It would be so much fun if we could all go together! (And the small RB with pear sides just didn''t look right compared to yours and Kaleigh''s, Kristy!)

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 11:24:17 PM

It would be so much fun if we could all go together! (And the small RB with pear sides just didn''t look right compared to yours and Kaleigh''s, Kristy!)
i know i was thinking that today.............

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
DS - Glad you had a great time!! I may have to take a T&CO trip for another diamond ogling fix.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not only were the rings beautiful but there jewelry was amazing. I would love just about anything from there (if I could ever justify the price). It was fun to pretend though!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2006 11:32:29 PM

National Pricescope Convention, anyone?
9.gif
Imagine all of us crazies in one place. Scary!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 1:28:33 AM

9.gif
I''ve been wanting that ever since I joined PS. How fun would that be?? All us diamond fanatics together?? Watch out!! Lol!!
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 1:28:33 AM

It would be so much fun if we could all go together! (And the small RB with pear sides just didn't look right compared to yours and Kaleigh's, Kristy!)
9.gif
Now THAT would be scary...I can only take condensed diamond nuttiness like ours in small doses! hehee.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine it would be really scary to the vendors in that area!
23.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2006 9:10:37 AM
I imagine it would be really scary to the vendors in that area!
23.gif
tiffanys is so silly expesnive though--check these prices out:

legacy ornate 3.0 carat G vvs1 $102,500

legacy simple 2.5 Fvs2 $58,000

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally and completely agree, WS. I figured that I could get a H&A RB in the knife edge solitaire for about half of the Tiffany price.

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
It''s understandable that you wouldn''t see the difference in colors under incadescent lighting at T&C, since their stones are pretty tightly graded for color at G or better I believe.

At a visit to a Tiffany store in Portland I noticed their centers look dark compared to side stones and this is common when you use three stones of different weights and same colors......a larger stone will look darker, just like deeper water looks darker than shallow.

IMHO, I would step down the colors of the side stones in a 3 stone ring to create a contrast with the center stone making it look whiter, but who am I to tell T&C how to run their business?

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/21/2006 3:03:03 PM
Author: He Scores

It''s understandable that you wouldn''t see the difference in colors under incadescent lighting at T&C, since their stones are pretty tightly graded for color at G or better I believe.

At a visit to a Tiffany store in Portland I noticed their centers look dark compared to side stones and this is common when you use three stones of different weights and same colors......a larger stone will look darker, just like deeper water looks darker than shallow.

IMHO, I would step down the colors of the side stones in a 3 stone ring to create a contrast with the center stone making it look whiter, but who am I to tell T&C how to run their business?

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter
Colour: I +
Clarity: VS2 +
Flour.: Med blue still OK.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I am glad you had fun!!! It''s always fun to go engagement ring shopping no matter where you are! Even if you have no intention of buying from them, at least you get to see all different types of rings, who knows, maybe you will find your "precious" amongst them!

Where did you guys go out to eat? Hmmm, a pricescope convention sounds so nice!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We ate at Cheesecake Factory.
18.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
So glad you went!
So glad you had fun!

We had the DC GTG today and I had a blast.
It was so great to meet everyone.
There was a lot of pic snapping, too, so I am sure they''ll get posted.

I had left my camera in the car... it was a mini PS convention!! I guess there were about 10 of us and we were talking a mile a minute!
great fun!

yay for shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results