color
clarity

A Very Simple Question on Stone Orientation (:

How should I set this emerald?

• East to West; Landscape

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • North to South; Portrait

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Damn girl, I have no clue....I like both equally so just flip a coin or ask your five year old

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello fellow jewelry obsessed people! :mrgreen:

I'm designing a ring and am down to one final detail before fabrication but, it is a huge one that changes the whole "vibe" or energy of the ring.

Should I set the middle stone which is an emerald east to west? Or north to south?

Please vote & if youd like to be persuasive share your reasoning down below.

They will help me tremendously!

Thank you :kiss2:

North to South Emmy;

icm_fullxfull.216292312_b7yteijoh94cskkkk0gs.jpg
icm_fullxfull.216292332_8yigh94p5nwoko88gk8o.jpg

East to West Emmy;
icm_fullxfull.220508393_qqqb2psv0r48kc0kk0kg.jpg icm_fullxfull.220508343_p017dslscis4c4s04kcg.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I liked the first one until I saw the second one.... I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I normally prefer north-south, but looking at the CADs, it seems that your stone proportions are long and thin.

I like your second option better because of the shape of the stone.

Also, the stone in east-west orientation seems to “fit in” and flow nicely with the engraving on the shank and with the side stones.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think you make a wrong choice here. But I voted for the horizontal, east/west orientation. The narrowness of the stone imo looks awesome lengthwise on the shank makes for good finger coverage.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I normally prefer north-south, but looking at the CADs, it seems that your stone proportions are long and thin.

Also, the stone in east-west orientation seems to “fit in” and flow nicely with the engraving on the shank and with the side stones.

I totally agree!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I think east-west would make a great stacking ring.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
East west..it goes more with the flow of the ring and shape of the stone.

Imagine looking at it on your finger. Whether you will like seeing it set north south or east west, on a regular basis.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
EW

It reminds another ring WWW

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
EW

It reminds another ring WWW

Hahaha oh no, Its almost 1am here, I better go to bed because I just read your comment and thought that you said eww as in the thread/design is disgusting. Yup...bedtime for me!

& Thank you for all who voted! Its only open for one more day because its gonna be sent off for casting on Monday.

I agree with all of you ladies that said EW but Bluegemz does have a point; in that the NS design would probably look better on my fingers than the EW design, so still lots to contemplate!

On my poll both options are pretty darn close though so it sounds like I cant go wrong!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
See you tonight! It is Sunday morning on my side (9am).

EW rings go nicely on my small, short fingers & I love band rings above all, quite a strong bias.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! You cannot go wrong. This design ‘flows’ more in the EW direction. Yet I voted for the élégance of NS. Especially with your elegant fingers

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I also have a long and thin green stone, I wanted to share it with you. The spit shank design and the flowery basket break up the elongated shape a bit:
033B3080-2A59-4280-B215-69A95BC903BD.jpeg 27470B9F-DCA3-4333-81A3-3892258F8ACA.jpeg 2E5C7AC8-7617-4AEE-BE8D-3FCC9C616899.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can’t go wrong. But I feel that NS is more dramatic, where as EW is more restful. Both lovely but different feelings to them.

I have a few rings that are longer and thinner in the NS, and they always are a thrill to wear...kind of witchy.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The emerald seems vulnerable in the NS orientation. It is more exposed and I wonder if the corners will catch on things. The EW orientation has more flow but is less striking. So it might matter when and how you plan to wear it. Congratulations on a beautiful design either way! You can’t go wrong. :appl:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think either option will be gorgeous! I've noticed that some of my elongated shaped stones look better set either east-west or north-south, meaning their color and cut look better one way or the other. Does the stone itself look better on the hand in one orientation over the other? I’m excited to see the finished piece!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
=)2

This also though you can’t go wrong N/S either. =)2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ok! Thank you all who voted and commented! I truly appreciate it and it helped tremendously! I can always count on the PS community, which is filled with such kind and passionate women/men, to give me their honest opinion. :kiss2:

You know how sometimes you think you dont favor one option more until you ask others and the majority chooses one but yet you keep making up excuses on why the other unchosen option is great? & Through that you finally realize you do favor the unchosen more and hence why you were in its corner during the whole conversation? :appl:

Well thats just what happened here! As I read each comment on EW I could feel myself feeling a little saddened....and through enough of those comments I realized I had already subconsciously chosen NS!

I also based the decision on some other factors brought up by a few of you guys;

-As @Bluegemz had mentioned my fingers are freakishly long, usually more so than most men that I meet and small rings set EW can feel a little lack luster, too small or short on me. Also her later comment; the word "witchy" won me over! I know exactly what shes talking about and I loveeee those kind of rings.

- @strawrose had mentioned that EW would be good for stacking but I knew immediately that I would never be stacking this ring so that helped!

- @Burmesedaze explained that I should imagine how I'd personally like to see it and while the EW layout might show the emmy as more crystal, I personally did not once hold it EW when it was unset on my finger. The natural skinny and long length (approx. 4.5x8mm) of the emmy just goes with my skinny/long hand overall.

- Also, while the ring @AV_ linked is so gosh darn gorgeous when I saw the emerald ruby I just wanted to turn it!!

- @Acinom 's beautiful tourmaline ring has similarish proportions to my emerald and while shes right, the skinny shape is broken up by the split shank, I actually quite like the stark contrast of space that my NS design gives, which usually I'd be against but something about it for this ring feels right.

- @MissyBeaucoup I was wondering if someone would comment on the vulnerability of the emerald set NS because it is very true! Although I am incredibly careful with my rings and do not even wash my hands with them on. I am the weird one that will have an emerald engagement ring and I have no doubts in my ability to baby my rings. This ring will be worn with the same consideration that I give all my rings and will not be an everyday ring!

I'll have to post the finished piece once done next week!
Thanks again everyone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Loved both but I think NS will look amazing on your elegant fingers! Can’t wait to see it on you. :love:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted NS but didn't get a chance to comment earlier. I adore EW settings for asymmetric shapes (as my avatar will attest!), but the NS orientation CAD picture looked so perfect and enticing to me. I'm excited that you picked it. Can't wait to see the finished ring. It's going to be gorgeous!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I believe the stone is too long and thin for the East-West setting as suggested, however that is a personal preference, of course.

DK :))

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday I asked my beau & our 5 year old little girl separately which one is prettier and he said,
"The one that looks like a cross." Haha
She also pointed to the NS orientation so that cements my design choice even more.

:P2

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I apologize if this was mentioned, but the stone is less prone to chips if E-W orientation. If you’re not going to halo , or use a more protective basket like @Acinom ‘s ring above , I would go with E-W, although aesthetically, I like N-S better.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Acinom, that is gorgeous! Is that a tourmaline?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I apologize if this was mentioned, but the stone is less prone to chips if E-W orientation. If you’re not going to halo , or use a more protective basket like @Acinom ‘s ring above , I would go with E-W, although aesthetically, I like N-S better.

Yes, it was brought up by @MissyBeaucoup and I replied to it in my longer message where I decided on the North to South orientation. Thank you for your concern! & Its nice to know that you also see the beauty in the NS orientation. :mrgreen:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing your finished ring! So happy you found the orientation that suits you! :appl:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
**I just wanted to give a quick update!!**

This ring will be finished this week!

I'm like a giddy little girl waiting for this ring.
I decided finally on the North-to south orientation as it would look the most visually stunning with my hand.

I just wanted to show y'all the inspiration as far as the color palette goes;
Screenshot_2019-09-16-05-51-28~2.png
It is a ring from Yvonnes shop and I just loved how ALL the colors pop!

My ring will have the same color palette but inverse; An approx. 4.5x8mm Columbian Emerald with two of yvonnes 2mm bubblegum pink Spinel from Burma all in the same 14k Rose gold complete with multigrain.

The emerald was my very first purchase off of loupe troop and I fell in love with its lighter blue green tone. I actually got the push to create this ring now from the same sweet woman I bought it from who sent me pictures of the setting she was imagining it being set with. And while the setting isnt the same exact one, the orientation with all three stones stayed so. Im hoping shes a PSer so she can also be appreciated for enabling me! :kiss2: haha

Anyways here are photos of all three lol candies!
20190826_183905.jpg icm_fullxfull.214476102_4vfm3uzvnk4kscsc0s0k.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results