shape
carat
color
clarity

A very sad day....

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry for your loss!! Kind regards, S.

gammygam

Shiny_Rock
How horrible for you :( Big hugs to you.

It's never easy to lose a pet at all.

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss....I had something similar happen to my dog when I was 12, so I know you're still in shock. Take care of yourself!!!

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to post to send my sympathies to you and your family. You gave him everything a pup could wish for and more. Be kind to yourself, it can be a hard journey in grief. Take care.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1328131894|3116695 said:
Hi Tuffyluvr. How are you doing today?

It may be silly, but I thought about you all day today. I woke up this morning thinking about what you went thru yesterday and how I'd react if that happened to either of my dogs. I don't know how I'd make it thru - I know we all do cope in crisis, but you never imagine yourself ever having to face one. I would be devastated - as I'm sure you are. I hope that today will be just slightly easier and then tomorrow, a little better still, but it all takes time. I really hope the best for you and your DH in being able to cope with the loss of your
"little teddybear terrier" :halo:

I told the story at work (I work with bylaw officers on a regular basis) and they were saddened as well. They also encouraged you to report this to your local bylaw department (not sure if you are US or Cdn or other, but every municipality/city has a department that can regulate and control animals) as an animal that can attack another animal, could also just as easily harm a child. Yes, that was mentioned on several PP's above, but please, when you are stronger, contact the bylaw office and report this. They don't necessarily remove the animal, but they will monitor the dog and its environment to ensure it is in a safe and secure location. My co workers were focusing on future prevention as the goal, not punishment for this incident. That would be a different matter... (and if I were you, even tho it can't bring Tuffy back, I don't think I'd have the restraint to not confront and 'freak out' on them!!!!)

Any how --- all that to say, I am thinking about you and your loss.

Aw, thank you--there have been so many good points made about why I ought to report their dog. He is obviously dangerous--not to mention cunning and very strong. I never imagined a dog could work it's way through a metal chain link fence.

The neighbors both took off work today to stay home and fix the fence, so I know they are taking this seriously. I am so infuriated, I
haven't even spoken to them. All communication has been through FI. They offered to buy me a new dog, which I am just fuming about. Why bother? So your dog can kill another little dog??? I will not be getting another dog until we move.

I am holding up okay. I went back to work today and took a cardio barre class tonight.The day was only moderately unbearable, and I only cried about 7 times. And only twice in front of clients--so professional!!! Haha. Anyways, tomorrow will be better... It's gotta be

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
One day at a time. That's all you can hope for. Grief is powerful no matter who we are mourning. Know that you are cared about and thought about in many hearts.... (and you know that animal lovers have the biggest hearts :praise: )

I'm glad your neighbours are actively trying to rectify their yard (for starters....) and feeling horrible. THEY SHOULD!!! OMG!!! No new puppy (or new 'anything') can replace that which was taken from us, so that's just stupid... but then, they probably don't know what to do in this situation. You will still be neighbours regardless of what has just happened or could happen in the future.

I'm still going to encourage you at some point, to please report this. Not with the 'I'm gonna GIT you' mentality I'd like to suggest (!!) but for prevention of another situation. City and municipal officials need stats if they can make any changes to protect from further incidents. This is a significant situation that does need to be on record.

One day at a time, my dear.... :halo:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tuffy, I keep coming back because this makes me so sad. ;( Really, it just seems so crazy to me that one dog killed another in such short and swift fashion. I would have never thought to be afraid if I had a small dog that they could be the subject of a deadly attack from another dog. Just so so sad....

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was so upset by this story I told my husband about it, and he said that dog committed basically, premeditated murder. The dog had to work at it, to get at your dog. He also said that suggests not only is the dog aggressive, but smart/cunning, which can be a bad combination.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My heart still bleeds for Tuffyluvr & Tuffy, just tragic. But accusing a dog of premeditated murder is going too far. Dogs do not grow up knowing murder is bad. They act on instinct informed by genes, individual temperament, & experiences. If the neighbor dog is fine with people & the family loves him, putting him down is completely unfair. They do need to be sure he never ever has the chance to hurt another dog & it sounds like they agree from the bottom of their hearts. Imagine how you'd feel if your dog had done that.

My dog was attacked by a neighbor's & would have been killed if DH hadn't been there. As it was, he had serious injuries. But the attacker was otherwise a sweet boy & a member of his human family just as mine is. I made a point of telling them I did not think he should be put down -- though he should NEVER be allowed outside off leash again.

He did what dogs do. Don't attribute human reason & morality to them; it's a mistake. If this dog really has Akita in him, animal attacks are to be expected: Akitas are known to have the potential for aggression. They were the 3rd breed to split off from wolves& therefore carry many genes from their wolf ancestors, including a strong prey drive. It's not their fault. It's not moral or immoral -- it just is.

Tuffyluvr, I thought about you all night & all today -- don't know how I'd survive, myself. I almost had to find out. Tuffy & you are joined at the heart forever -- I believe that once love is created, it cannot ever be destroyed. Much much dust & many hugs.

--- Laurie

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry. Hugs to you.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, my heart is breaking for you. Words can't express how sorry I am. Your beloved tuffy will always watch over you. Sending tons of hugs.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry, Tuffy! What a horrible thing to happen. My heart aches for you. HUGS!

stardust97

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1328212419|3117508 said:
My heart still bleeds for Tuffyluvr & Tuffy, just tragic. But accusing a dog of premeditated murder is going too far. Dogs do not grow up knowing murder is bad. They act on instinct informed by genes, individual temperament, & experiences. If the neighbor dog is fine with people & the family loves him, putting him down is completely unfair. They do need to be sure he never ever has the chance to hurt another dog & it sounds like they agree from the bottom of their hearts. Imagine how you'd feel if your dog had done that.

My dog was attacked by a neighbor's & would have been killed if DH hadn't been there. As it was, he had serious injuries. But the attacker was otherwise a sweet boy & a member of his human family just as mine is. I made a point of telling them I did not think he should be put down -- though he should NEVER be allowed outside off leash again.

He did what dogs do. Don't attribute human reason & morality to them; it's a mistake. If this dog really has Akita in him, animal attacks are to be expected: Akitas are known to have the potential for aggression. They were the 3rd breed to split off from wolves& therefore carry many genes from their wolf ancestors, including a strong prey drive. It's not their fault. It's not moral or immoral -- it just is.

Tuffyluvr, I thought about you all night & all today -- don't know how I'd survive, myself. I almost had to find out. Tuffy & you are joined at the heart forever -- I believe that once love is created, it cannot ever be destroyed. Much much dust & many hugs.

--- Laurie

I agree with Laurie. Also, Tuffy I am so sorry to read this and I can only imagine what you are going through. Sending you a huge hug. Tuffy was fortunate to know the love of a person like you.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry. Hugs.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the difference between dogs and humans, and am not one to anthropomorphize. this is what my husband said, but what he meant what what the dog did was "akin" to premeditated. It was not an accidental situation where two dogs came across each other in an uncontrolled situation or on the street, or Tuffy had invaded the other dog's turf. This dog had to work to get at the other dog, attacking it on the dog's own territory. To me (and to my husband) that is a different level of aggression.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1328178844|3117133 said:
I'm still going to encourage you at some point, to please report this. Not with the 'I'm gonna GIT you' mentality I'd like to suggest (!!) but for prevention of another situation. City and municipal officials need stats if they can make any changes to protect from further incidents. This is a significant situation that does need to be on record.

I agree. I'd definitely report it just so it's on record in case it happens again. I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your baby. That's absolutely awful.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1328178844|3117133 said:
One day at a time. That's all you can hope for. Grief is powerful no matter who we are mourning. Know that you are cared about and thought about in many hearts.... (and you know that animal lovers have the biggest hearts :praise: )

I'm glad your neighbours are actively trying to rectify their yard (for starters....) and feeling horrible. THEY SHOULD!!! OMG!!! No new puppy (or new 'anything') can replace that which was taken from us, so that's just stupid... but then, they probably don't know what to do in this situation. You will still be neighbours regardless of what has just happened or could happen in the future.

Yes. God forbid, the next time it could be a small child. :blackeye:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results