shape
carat
color
clarity

A very good cut diamond but with a high total depth % ?

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
31
The following diamond has been graded a very good cut by GIA but I wondered how, as I now read that it is considered deep?

Its a round brilliant 0.64 carat colour E
Cut: Very good
TD: 64.8%
TS: 57%
CA: 35.0
CH:15.5%
PA: 50%
LH:75%
Girdle: VTH - THK
Cutlet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorecence: Med Blue

It is a really lovely diamond and has has plenty of sparkle and fire and looks lovely in my ring.

I guess My question is more one of confusion.....How is it graded very good if I now read that 64.8% is too deep?

PS: The stone is really pretty so please dont critique it to much - Im not on a quest for a perfect diamond just one thats perfect to me :))
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
Hi Sophie-GIA's highest cut grade is Excellent.

Do you already own this diamond?
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
23,538
As slg says GIA's top cut grade is EX - this stone's proportions & finish disqualify it from that grade. Good polish instead of vg/ex as necessary for EX grade, vthin-thick girdle variation, overly thick portions of girdle adding to overall depth.

Double check numbers or provide GIA report number? 50% pav height + 15.5% crown height = 65% > 64.8% which would imply significant ranges averaged then rounded around the eight sections of stone (indicated also by large girdle variation), vthin portion(s) apparently *just* this side of knife-edge..
 

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
31
Yssie|1317151106|3027084 said:
As slg says GIA's top cut grade is EX - this stone's proportions & finish disqualify it from that grade. Good polish instead of vg/ex as necessary for EX grade, vthin-thick girdle variation, overly thick portions of girdle adding to overall depth.

Double check numbers or provide GIA report number? 50% pav height + 15.5% crown height = 65% > 64.8% which would imply significant ranges averaged then rounded around the eight sections of stone (indicated also by large girdle variation), vthin portion(s) apparently *just* this side of knife-edge..

Apologies, i made a typo.

PA: 41.8
SL: 50%
 

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
31
slg47|1317150778|3027080 said:
Hi Sophie-GIA's highest cut grade is Excellent.

Do you already own this diamond?

Yes I already own it and went on the basis that a very good cut would be fine for what we wanted

Its just the depth percentage that has now confused me as some websites say it is too deep, but then how can it be a very good cut?

Or is it an overall generalisation of the quality of the cut?
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,729
Sophie|1317160321|3027265 said:
slg47|1317150778|3027080 said:
Hi Sophie-GIA's highest cut grade is Excellent.

Do you already own this diamond?

Yes I already own it and went on the basis that a very good cut would be fine for what we wanted

Its just the depth percentage that has now confused me as some websites say it is too deep, but then how can it be a very good cut?

Or is it an overall generalisation of the quality of the cut?

Yeah, I wish GIA didn't use terms like Very Good and Excellent.
Even their Excellent grade includes diamonds that were cut too deep for optimal light performance.

Yours are proportions we usually do not see.
Could you check your report again for accuracy.

Better yet can you photograph it, especially the bottom where they have the numbers on the diagrams?
 

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
31
kenny|1317160614|3027269 said:
Sophie|1317160321|3027265 said:
slg47|1317150778|3027080 said:
Hi Sophie-GIA's highest cut grade is Excellent.

Do you already own this diamond?

Yes I already own it and went on the basis that a very good cut would be fine for what we wanted

Its just the depth percentage that has now confused me as some websites say it is too deep, but then how can it be a very good cut?

Or is it an overall generalisation of the quality of the cut?

Yeah, I wish GIA didn't use terms like Very Good and Excellent.
Even their Excellent grade includes diamonds that were cut too deep for optimal light performance.

Yours are proportions we usually do not see.
Could you check your report again for accuracy.

Better yet can you photograph it, especially the bottom where they have the numbers on the diagrams?


Cant get it to photograph very well but I will retype the info incase I made a mistake:

Carat 0.64
Colour E
Cut very good
Clarity S12 (I cant see any inclusions to the naked eye)
TD:64.8%
TS:57%
CA:35.0
CH: 15.5%
PA: 41.8
PD: 44.0%
SL: 50%
LH: 75%
Girdle: VTN - THK
Cutlet None
Polish: good
Symmetry Very good
Fluorecence Med Blue
Comments None
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
23,538
What are you asking for exactly, Sophie? You already have the stone, and you say you love it, so there is little more to advise on other than to tell you to enjoy it! (And keep it clean!)

Are you looking for information strictly on the vg cut grade designation from GIA (in which case your question has been answered about as well as we can, though here are some links with more info -
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/laboratory_cut_grades_what_report_doesn%E2%80%99t_show

Are you asking for confirmation that you got a stone we would have recommended you look at? If so, we would not.

Are you looking to see if you got a good or fair deal? If so post price, and I like to search BlueNile's & James Allen's inventories for comparables.
 

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
31
Yssie|1317162094|3027298 said:
What are you asking for exactly, Sophie? You already have the stone, and you say you love it, so there is little more to advise on other than to tell you to enjoy it! (And keep it clean!)

Are you looking for information strictly on the vg cut grade designation from GIA (in which case your question has been answered about as well as we c
an, though here are some links with more info -
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/laboratory_cut_grades_what_report_doesn%E2%80%99t_show

Are you asking for confirmation that you got a stone we would have recommended you look at? If so, we would not.
Are you looking to see if you got a good or fair deal? If so post price, and I like to search BlueNile's & James Allen's inventories for comparables.[/quote I was just confused because I was happy with the write up of a GIA very good cut stone which is why I bought it but am now confused as to how a stone that I have now read is perhaps cut too deep could be graded a very good cut.
 

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,577
Very good cut is not excellent cut - there is a difference there. With a stone that deep, it usually doesn't face up as large as it could because there is weight hiding in the depth of the stone - if that makes sense.

Look at the dimensions of the stone at the top of the grading report. This tells you the diameter of the stone. Compare it to others of that carat weight that have depths below 62 and see what the size difference is between the stones.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though - if you love the stone, that's all that really matters. GIA rates it as a very good cut and people that are into exceptionally great cut stones are looking for cut, polish and symmetry to be all excellents among other things.

If I loved it, I wouldn't get hung up over the numbers now. As Yssie says, just enjoy it!!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    "Not so Fast!" says Mother Nature
    "Not so Fast!" says Mother Nature - 11/29
    Jewels of the Week: November 2021
    Jewels of the Week: November 2021 - 11/26
    Throwback Thursdays: November 2021
    Throwback Thursdays: November 2021 - 11/25
Top