shape
carat
color
clarity

a thought

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing a really cute ring posted on the forum, I was browsing the Zales site. I saw some rings that I liked and they were really cheap... and I had a thought. Has anyone here bought a ring for we''ll say $150, ripped the poor quality or lab created stone out, and replaced it with their own? It seems to me that it might be a pretty cost effective way to get my gemstones on my finger. Certainly cheaper than LOGR, and i''ve had zales rings before and they''re surprisingly well made for the price. Thoughts?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have tried to do that with one of my paraibas, and its VERY hard inless your sone is calibrated. 99.9% of their products are calibrated, so your stone would have to fit in their setting.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Possible... but I would also keep in mind that prongs are often ruined when a stone is removed. So there is a good chance you would need a new head or some extra prong work (more $$!)

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah... it definitely wouldn''t work for anything un-calibrated but I was thinking for rounds and square cushions that it might be cost effective, it also helps to have a jeweler that will do prong work for super cheap.
9.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
possibly, but I would probably just get an LOGR setting on ebay.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
In theory it could work, but if there''s so little metal that any re-setting is impossible (often the case with very cheap settings), it could prove to be anything but cost effective - lots of additional repairs, risk of losing a stone...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2010 10:28:21 AM
Author:redfaerythinker
After seeing a really cute ring posted on the forum, I was browsing the Zales site. I saw some rings that I liked and they were really cheap... and I had a thought. Has anyone here bought a ring for we'll say $150, ripped the poor quality or lab created stone out, and replaced it with their own? It seems to me that it might be a pretty cost effective way to get my gemstones on my finger. Certainly cheaper than LOGR, and i've had zales rings before and they're surprisingly well made for the price. Thoughts?
I just purchased an LOGR double halo pear setting with upgraded diamonds. It is significant in size, and really beautiful. I paid $312 for it. With clean single cuts, it would have been $219. I don't think you can beat that, but if you can, for the same quality, please let me know. When I say the same quality, I mean full cut diamond melee that is at least 30 points in weight, and not diamond chips, they must also be eye clean, and at least 3 grams of 14K (not 10K) gold, for the same price. I've been to Zales, Rogers & Holland, and these other lower cost chain B&M stores, and I'm just not impressed with the quality for the price, especially when I wear my LOGR's around them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I''ve done it tons of times! I haven''t bought from Zales but from other outlets in the UK where I''ve loved the setting but hated the central (usually cheap) stone in, had it removed and replaced with a much nicer gemstone! I do check before buying what size stone is in already and now know what is likely to fit so the danger of a wasted setting is minimal. With w/gold, the prongs may need re-rhodium plating but I''ve had this done locally for $30 (setting and replating of prongs).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have done that quite a bit and been happy with the result. I''ll order a gemstone, find a piece of jewelry on sale that has the same size / shape of stone and usually can get it changed out for $25 to $50.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have checked out Zales on several occasions just for fun and found their diamonds and diamond melee quality lacking. Their SI1 stones are obviously included and not eye clean per the GIA standard. Their settings (metal portion alone), however, seems decent enough for the price paid.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results