shape
carat
color
clarity

A Tale of Two Ovals

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I shared my previous oval lab diamond on PS earlier this year. It was gorgeous 2.74 E VS1 diamond - bright, white, and crisp. So stunning to me, it seemed to glow in certain lights. Here's the original thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...n-a-two-tone-solitaire-by-david-klass.278740/

In that thread, I had shared that the reason I purchased it was because my e-ring, an OEC set in a halo, isn't fit for life with littles and I had been on the hunt for a lab old cut solitaire to wear on a daily basis. Lab old cuts are so hard to find in my budget/spec preferences and when I stumbled upon this oval I thought I'd take a chance because it look so striking in the video. I lucked out as it was absolutely beautiful in person.

As much as I loved it, I'm an old cut lover at heart and couldn't get over the itch for an vintage cut stone for daily wear. Fast forward a few months, I came across the most beautiful antique moval- it was a dream type stone for me. I tried listing my oval ring to raise funds to purchase it but it slipped away before I could sell my ring. What happened then made me realize that i'd be willing to give up other jewels for the right one so I decided to continue listing my ring so I could have the funds available, should I come across another diamond I'm smitten with in the future.

I also listed another antique cut lab oval I was hoarding to raise funds. I purchased this oval on a whim because, after appreciating ovals from the one I lucked out on, they appealed to me more and the cut was so fascinating. When it came in, I thought it was so beautiful with the high crown and culet giving it a vintage feel that I kept it. I hadn't decided what to do with it though, since I already had an oval ring I loved so I was just enjoying it loose, contemplating different options.

Back track to the oval ring I had, since I was willing to sell the ring either loose or complete, I had reached out to DK to see if the antique oval I had could be swapped with the oval in the ring. That way, in case I just sold it loose, I wouldn't have a loose setting and loose stone sitting around and could enjoy a ring in the meantime. I learned it was possible. Fast forward a bit, I ended up selling the oval.

After I sold the loose diamond I realized that the antique shape oval had some specs that had sentimental significance related to my wonderful mama who joined the angels the beginning of this year. I didn't realize this when I purchased it. Although it may be silly, I'm a numbers person so little things like that have meaning to me and made me excited to reset it. I decided to move forward with swapping it out. It's on it's way back to me now but here's a preview (not my hand). I know the cut is not a traditional oval so it's not everyone's cup of tea, and as much as I miss my gorgeous old oval, I'm so excited to get this back:

IMG_8263.HEIC (2).jpg

Lastly, specs of this oval for anyone interested: 11.68 x 7.69 x 5.53 (1.52 ratio), IGI certified G VS2. Sharing because I'm such a visual person and when I was looking around, it was so hard to find pictures of ovals in a particular ratio. Hopefully this helps someone with their search!

As always, thanks for sharing my love of all things sparkly. :)

TLDR: DK made a stunning oval diamond ring for me earlier this year. After a series of events , I ended up selling the original oval diamond and replacing it with an antique style oval. This a picture taken after the swap (not my hand) and it's on its way back to me. So looking forward to getting this home!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
So pretty, and I want a closer look at that faceting. Serendipity, and it's about your mama:love:

I keep waffling on buying an old cut lab- I sometimes feel like the one person on the planet who isn't keen on white diamonds and too orderly of faceting:/
I'm just waiting, patiently.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I will try to share more close ups when it's back and you're right- It does feel like it was meant to be :)

You are not the only one! The wonkiness' and warmth of many old cuts add so much character to them. so I completely agree. Hopefully, we'll see more variety in cuts in the future!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see this beautiful ring on your hand @JV36912. It’s gorgeous!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t wait to see this beautiful ring on your hand @JV36912. It’s gorgeous!

Thank you! It's came yesterday evening and I love it. DK did an excellent job with the swap. I can't even tell. Here's some quick pictures I snapped today:

PXL_20230912_135603987.jpg PXL_20230912_144412124.jpg

PXL_20230912_154424498.jpg

I don't know if it's my phone but it's so hard to capture what I see with this diamond. My phone doesn't pick it up right. I'll try to take better photos/videos (maybe with my husbands iphone!) later this week once I'm over my crazy work deadline.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s STUNNING and looks gorgeous on your hand @JV36912!!! You really have a knack for picking out beautiful ovals which can be really hard to do. I also love how you paired it with the really thin gold band. The whole look is so classic and beautiful. The fact that this has sentimental meaning tied to your mom makes it that much more special. I’m so happy you found the perfect stone for you.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much @Calliecake for your sweet and kind words! Yes, agree- this one does feel extra special- love that I think of my mom when I wear it :)

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
It looks like a glitterball and absolutely lovely on your hand. I love that this oval speaks to you in a way that makes you feel connected to your mama <3 Must be kismet!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a glitterball and absolutely lovely on your hand. I love that this oval speaks to you in a way that makes you feel connected to your mama <3 Must be kismet!

Thank you so much! I think so too :) It certainly scratches my itch for a vintage style cut to wear everyday. Unless the perfect diamond comes along, I'm not sure that I'll ever part with this one :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JV36912, Your camera is doing a fantastic job of capturing the beauty of this stone! WOW!!!! Thank you for posting the video. Can you please share your secrets on how to find a beautiful oval? I have no idea how to pick ovals. I just know I love them and I want one.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much @Calliecake! I wish I could share some tips on how to select a great oval but honestly I just choose it based on how the video speaks to me and make sure the seller has a good return policy, lol. Sometimes an oval stands when I'm looking at the video. Those are the ones I've purchased and thankfully, I've lucked out. I'm always browsing the various lab diamond sites. If you share your budget and diamond preferences, happy to share ones that stand out to me ☺️

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results