shape
carat
color
clarity

A Supermoon Like This One Won’t Come Again Until 2034

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
A Supermoon Like This One Won’t Come Again Until 2034
Skywatchers are in for a big, bright treat in two weeks!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/supermoon-watch_us_581a04e6e4b0a76e174c3538

On Nov. 14, skywatchers will be treated to a supermoon so big and bright that it’s being billed as a “super-dupermoon” or an “extra-supermoon.”

Supermoons aren’t especially uncommon, but this will be the nearest that a full moon has come to Earth since January 26, 1948. The full moon won’t get this close again until November 25, 2034.

The term supermoon refers to a full moon that occurs when our planet’s natural satellite is at its closest point to Earth in its elliptical orbit. Astronomers call that point perigee, and so “perigee moon” is another term for supermoon. (The point at which the moon is most distant from Earth in its orbit is known as apogee.)

A supermoon can appear up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than an apogee full moon, according to NASA. The effect is most pronounced when the moon is viewed near the horizon.

This supermoon is one of three to occur during the last three months of 2016. There was a supermoon on Oct. 16, and there will be another on Dec. 14. But this one coming up will be the most special of the lot ― so try not to miss it.

What’s the best way to see the supermoon?

“Just find a dark area clear of trees,” Dr. Noah Petro, a scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, told The Huffington Post in an email. “Anytime after dark is good and once the moon is up. There is no prime time when people have to do it, but the moon has to have risen for people to see it! : )”

Nuff said.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang it I hope that these clouds go away at some point this week so I can see it. I have been waiting these past couple days.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No chance of seeing even a hint of the moon as it is cloudy where I live, hey ho!

DK :rolleyes:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We kept an eye out for it at 6 am EST. It was bright and yellow, and so beautiful. :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son got off the bus chanting "supermoon supermoon", he is very excited but it is really cloudy and I don't think we will be able to see it. When I told him this he said, well the clouds have to move at some point. Ever the optimist :dance:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh clouds are clearing! waiting waiting waiting.....

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Rockinruby|1479166376|4098503 said:
momhappy|1479152003|4098329 said:
I started a "Super Moon" thread last week, but it seems it was not quite as popular as the political threads.... ;-)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/super-moon.226729/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/super-moon.226729/[/URL]

Momhappy, I apologize. I must have missed it amongst all if the political threads. :doh: I didn't mean to start another thread in the same topic. :wall:

No worries! I'm glad you did actually =) Mine fell down to page 3....
I was bummed earlier tonight because it was looking much too cloudy, but I just took the dogs out and I can get a glimpse through the clouds! I'm going to keep checking.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1479166612|4098507 said:
Ooh clouds are clearing! waiting waiting waiting.....

*crossing fingers*

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh it's pouring here. Happy for those who were able to enjoy it!!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No dice. Clouds were low on the horizon and now its a faint white blob behind cover. Dang. Going to Oregon tomorrow for a few days and I hope that their weather is better.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Bummer! Sorry Red.
You can check next month too - although it's not quite as big and bright, but still a super moon :D

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not able to see it because of the cloud cover. I got some amazing shots of Saturday/Sunday's moon though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results