shape
carat
color
clarity

a startling question about prongs!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lodestar

Rough_Rock
Hello folks,Well, I picked up the diamond of my dreams today, and I have been unable to wrest my eyes from it. I am 100% satisfied with the diamond, but I now realize that I know very little about settings!The diamond is set in a basic platinum solitaire 6-prong setting, but I've noticed that the prongs are very slightly off the angles of a perfect hexagon. I'm guessing that this is because the diamond is not perfectly symmetrical (diameter 7.63 (7.57-7.68), but then few diamonds are.I've never looked this closely at a setting before. Can anybody educate and/or advise me?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
2 second fix.
if you are handy you could do it yourself, but probably should'nt.
Pliers with sticking plaster or tape, and grab 2 claws near each other and push the claws together and go round and round till it is all lined up. This is how we tighten claws.
garry
ps take it back to the jeweler

lodestar

Rough_Rock
Actually, it was a local independent jeweller.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lodestar,You're right. There are no perfectly round diamonds. We found out on 30,000 round diamonds that average deviation from roundness is about 1%.I wouldn't worry much about symmetry of the prongs unless the stone is not fixed properly. You always can show the ring to a jeweler to check the settings. Actually you should do it regularly to avoid loosing the diamond.I hope experts will share their opinion.(#$#@! my spelling
frown.gif
)

lodestar

Rough_Rock
Thanks Leonid,What you're saying makes sense, and puts my mind at ease somewhat. I was surprised that something so obvious to my eye had never been mentioned in all of the different diamond sites I perused.Mind you, I was always more interested in the diamond! Although it seems to me that maintenance of the diamond ring should also be talked about, if not to the same degree.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
On the other hand, if it bothers you it's no good. You spent quite a bit of money on the diamond, why the quality of settings should irritate you?Where did you get the ring - internet or local store? Let's see what experts will say.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results