shape
carat
color
clarity

A Shy BB Tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
This is my first tourmaline, I love her
1.gif
It is also my first BB stone, what a delight he was to work with - he helped me decide between this stone and another I was considering, and I am glad that I chose this one as I really like both the color and the cut ( I am so at the bottom of the learning curve with colored stones - but I know what I like!) The specs are 3.31 ct, 8.7 mm square cushion, described by Barry as a medium to dark bluish/green. I will include his photo with mine for comparison on color - I said this one is shy since it didn''t like my camera! But after many false starts I got a couple. It does tend to go dark in direct sunlight (I was reading about this earlier in the week but I got lost somewhere on the "light absorbing c-axis" and never found my way back!) Anyway, thanks for letting me share!
35.gif
First, the ACS photo:

bgbbz.jpg

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
The best I could do for how it looks out of direct light:

bgbbtm3.jpg

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
And one more:

bgbbtm1.jpg

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
And one for size . . . Other than knowing I will set it in a ring, and will not bezel it/halo it so it does not darken, no real plan yet. (and no real $$$ yet to do it with, so that''s probably OK!
2.gif
)

bgbbtm4.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 8:01:40 AM
Author:babysteps
This is my first tourmaline, I love her
1.gif
It is also my first BB stone, what a delight he was to work with - he helped me decide between this stone and another I was considering, and I am glad that I chose this one as I really like both the color and the cut ( I am so at the bottom of the learning curve with colored stones - but I know what I like!) The specs are 3.31 ct, 8.7 mm square cushion, described by Barry as a medium to dark bluish/green. I will include his photo with mine for comparison on color - I said this one is shy since it didn''t like my camera! But after many false starts I got a couple. It does tend to go dark in direct sunlight (I was reading about this earlier in the week but I got lost somewhere on the ''light absorbing c-axis'' and never found my way back!) Anyway, thanks for letting me share!
35.gif
First, the ACS photo:
HI BabySteps,
Very pretty tourmaline!! Some tourmalines have their main elongated axis that absorbs more incoming light, this is known as a closed c-axis, which is probably why it goes darker in sunlight. Typically the table of the stone is cut on the c-axis since this is usually (not always) the way you get the most weight from the rough. Some tourmaline have "open c-axis" and are brighter in sunlight.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
It''s stunning! I LOVE the color!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 8:07:01 AM
Author: babysteps
And one for size . . . Other than knowing I will set it in a ring, and will not bezel it/halo it so it does not darken, no real plan yet. (and no real $$$ yet to do it with, so that''s probably OK!
2.gif
)
Due to the fact that the stone has quite enough blue and even a bit of grey, but also because of the darker tone, I wouldn''t set it in white gold. Which metals do you prefer? Any you don''t like? Yellow gold would probably make it more green.

Just to get you started
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is seriously gorgeous.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful green color. It''s a gorgeous stone. Congratulations!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Love the color and cut. It''s very pretty!.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful stone! Seems like Barry has been getting a LOT of business from PSers lately!!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love the color of that tourmaline, and your photos are great!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful color! I love Barry''s cushions - and in that color, your tourmaline is simply stunning!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowzers, gorgeous stone, babysteps!!!! Love the color
30.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Just beautiful.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME....WHAT A BEAUTY!!!!

Lori

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That is a stunning tourmaline - love it
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like green stones with blue undertones and with that cut, it''s gorgeous.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. I love the color.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone! What are your plans for it?

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, a big thank you to everyone for the nice thoughts on my stone!
35.gif
Tourmaline-lover, thank you for the explanation - I have learned a lot from your posts on the forum! Mr. Ma Re, thanks for the thoughts on metals - am leaning towards yellow gold for a ring and that''s about all I know right now. There have been so many beautiful colored stone additions this month, I am off to ogle everyone''s stones.
1.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, I love the color, cut, and sparkle. It has it all.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
^^ Thanks LtlFirecracker! A beautiful tsav like yours is on my ''hopefully, someday'' list but this will fill my need for green for the time being! (Have you decided how to set your ring?)
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results