shape
carat
color
clarity

A Sea Green Aquamarine

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love aquas with the blue-green sea water color. The bright blues look like topaz to me. Your stone is :love::love::love:stunning.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love aquas with the blue-green sea water color. The bright blues look like topaz to me. Your stone is :love::love::love:stunning.
Thank you!

I think this was discussed in another recent thread, but in her written report, the appraiser we use insisted on describing the stone as "green beryl" rather than aquamarine. :eek2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was the appraiser a graduate gemologist?

Did they run tests on the stone?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Was the appraiser a graduate gemologist?

Did they run tests on the stone?
Yes and yes.

As I understand it the the only difference between green beryl and aquamarine is the color. Apparently there are some perfectionists in the trade who believe that if a gem from the beryl family is predominantly green, it should be classified as green beryl. Obviously those perfectionists are not gemstone vendors!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and yes.

As I understand it the the only difference between green beryl and aquamarine is the color. Apparently there are some perfectionists in the trade who believe that if a gem from the beryl family is predominantly green, it should be classified as green beryl. Obviously those perfectionists are not gemstone vendors!
From what I hear, if the stone is blue or greenish blue and colored by iron, it is aqua. If it’s green and colored predominantly by chromium, then emerald, and if green and only colored by vanadium, green beryl, and I don’t know what the chromophores are for heliodor, morganite, or bixbite but they’re the other colors of beryl. Then goshenite is colorless beryl. Goshenite is often falsely sold as aqua.

Nice ring, no matter the moniker. Enjoy!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So are emeralds not "emeralds" and are really 'green beryl"- technically?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So are emeralds not "emeralds" and are really 'green beryl"- technically?
No, they’re emerald if the primary chromophore (chemical responsible for color) is chromium. Green beryl is colored by vanadium which is why they have barely any to no inclusions. Emeralds tend to be included because chromium puts stress on the crystal.

Zambian emeralds are colored by both chromium and vanadium, but the chromium is still present.

I have a true green beryl. It’s as clean as a whistle.

It should also be noted that extremely pale emeralds typically have less inclusions, because they have much less chromium, and therefore the color isn’t as saturated or rich. They should be priced very low.

The real rare stuff that’s super hard to come by is very dark, saturated material that is also clean with no enhancement . This is because the crystal is so stressed by the extra chromium, but it’s very clean. Those are the emeralds you see at the big auction houses.

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow TL thank you so much for the explanation. I love learning about gems:read: and your explanation was really informative.

Reactions: T L

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FYI GIA also thought our stone was Green Beryl and not Aquamarine! :eek2:

However changing the title of this thread to "A Sea Green Beryl" doesn't really appeal. :mrgreen2:

11.50ct Green Beryl GIA Cert.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t want to comment much earlier on the stone, because I really didn’t think it was an aquamarine. I’ve never seen an aqua that color, although I’ve seen greenish aquas. Now you know what it truly is.:D

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is it cheaper now that's it's not an aquamarine?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reactions: prs

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Green Beryl are stones so beautiful they stand on their own without a name.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results