shape
carat
color
clarity

A ruby is a...And a radiant is a...??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jasper11

Rough_Rock
Today I was told that a ruby is a sapphire and princess and a square radiant are the same thing except that the radiant has the corner cut off.
I thought a ruby was it''s own entity.
I thought a princess was cut criss cut and that a radaint had different faceting...
?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
basically, yes, that is correct.
both ruby(red) and sapphire(all other colors) are corundum. that is, the red version of corundum is ruby and all of the other colors of corundum are sapphire.
radiant and princess.....well due to faceting and shape (l-w ratio) they could be the same but they could also be very different.
both are modified brillants but the faceting can be quite different.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 7:37:34 PM
Author: belle
both ruby(red) and sapphire(all other colors) are corundum. that is, the red version of corundum is ruby and all of the other colors of corundum are sapphire.
yes, and both ruby and sapphire are chemically aluminum oxide, with different contaminants making up different coloring.

bit of trivia: when you cook on a calphalon hard anodized pan you are cooking on aluminum oxide, basically cooking on a ruby. that''s why these pans are indestructible-- as long as you don''t ruin them in the dishwasher.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 9:28:00 PM
Author: ladykemma

yes, and both ruby and sapphire are chemically aluminum oxide, with different contaminants making up different coloring.

bit of trivia: when you cook on a calphalon hard anodized pan you are cooking on aluminum oxide, basically cooking on a ruby. that''s why these pans are indestructible-- as long as you don''t ruin them in the dishwasher.
oh its the dishwasher that destroys them?? haha no WONDER!! I gave up and got all stainless cause it goes in the DW just fine and I like that! oop sorry for the digression lol

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 10:55:09 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 1/15/2007 9:28:00 PM
Author: ladykemma

oh its the dishwasher that destroys them?? haha no WONDER!! I gave up and got all stainless cause it goes in the DW just fine and I like that! oop sorry for the digression lol
Continuing the digression...

As a retired Chef, I can give you my Professional opinion, I prefer All-Clad. It is exactly what most pro kitchens use, I have had my set from the early 80''s and it looks like new. I think Calpalon are high-maintenance, but some love them. I especially think eggs are a mess in Calphalon.

My 2 top rules for the non-pros in my household - If it is made of more than one kind of materials, or is wood or aluminum, do NOT put it in the diswasher!

Wood soaks up the water- harboring bacteria and aluminum becomes pitted with dishwashing detergent and extreme heat (drying cycle).

Just this Pro''s view, now - back to our regularly scheduled programming...

jasper11

Rough_Rock
At this point I''m ready to mount a pan to my hand. haha

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
continuing the digression

aluminum oxide plus dishwasher detergent = aluminum chloride, weird deposits, pits, and holes.

i have all clad, revereware and calphalon.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Going back to topic, and making things even more confusing.

Both ruby and sapphire are corundum, correct.

In Europe, a ruby is corundum, with red colour, due to chromium. So, in Europe, one also has red sapphires.
In the U.S., all red corundum is ruby, regardless of the cause of the colour.

Live long,

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 6:51:05 PM
Author:jasper11

I thought a princess was cut criss cut and that a radaint had different faceting...
The radiant was introduced in 1977 (after the princess and barion cuts). It was designed to have the best qualities of both round/princess and emerald cut diamonds. It has the outer lines and cut corners of the emerald while enjoying the brilliant style of pavilion cutting. This causes it to be an emerald shape with more pin flash sparkle than the traditional step-cut emerald. The radiant's faceting style lends itself to entrapping body color more than the princess and round shapes. That is why some fancy colored stones are cut as radiants (and why experts may not be as quick to say a radiant can face-up more colorless than it’s lab grade like some other shapes). Of course this statement is not absolute; you can cut a radiant so that it doesn’t entrap color, but the style in general lends itself to doing this. Every diamond must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Here are some comparison diagrams to show general differences. Of course there are different configurations beyond these (crown faceting varies, the princess can have a different number of chevrons on the pavilion, etc.).

Several_Plots.jpg

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2007 10:47:07 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 1/15/2007 6:51:05 PM
Author:jasper11

The radiant was introduced in 1977 (after the princess and barion cuts). ).
Actually, John, the princess was introduced in the early 1980''s, after (and as a result of the success of) the radiant cut. In 1981, a group of Israeli diamond manufacturers lost a patent infringement lawsuit regarding the radiant and they were enjoined from manuacturing pirated radiant cuts. As a result, the princess cut was developed so that the Israeli industry could manufacture non-infringing squares while getting the best yield possible from sharp crystal rough. Because the princess was essentially developed "by committee," no patent covering it was ever applied for.

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
No offense taken, John. I only interjected because there appears to be some confusion in the marketplace regarding this issue, and the poster''s original question related to the passing off of princesses with cut corners as radiants.

When my Dad invented the radiant cut he built on Basil Watermeyer''s work in developing the Barion, and it is these two extraordinary diamond cutters who deserve the credit for the beautiful square and rectangular diamonds available today.

jasper11

Rough_Rock
Great answers (even the off topic ;-).
So - can I buy loose rubies like I can diamonds? And are these regulated the way I can get a GIA diamond? (for quality assurance)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results