shape
carat
color
clarity

A roman legionary ring

Arthuro87

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I bought this ring from an antique dealer. They said it was from the roman empire, around 1-3 CAD.

I brought it to en expert but he couldnt tell me if it is authentic or a replica. He also said it Could be from the roman revival period, wich is around 1850.

So what are your thoughts about it? The material is silver, tested. 20200604_120345.jpg 20200604_120456.jpg 20200604_120438.jpg 20200604_120415.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything about this piece indicates to me it is newly made - there is absolutely no sign of wear, the engravings are all the same depth and crispness, the antiquing treatment (black) and stone finish is evenly distributed, the metal color and thickness is uniform and even ...

While it is a very cool silver ring, I do hope you didn't pay over much for what is almost certainly a modern reproduction piece.

Arthuro87

Rough_Rock
Oh thank you so much. Well I paid around €50 for of, wich is to high ofcourse for a reproduction. Fortunately not a bombshell of money, and I see it now as a lessen wich I had to pay for.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
As a museum professional I spend a lot of time with „museum objects“. Even though no expert in that field I have developed a certain feeling of whether or not a piece might be authentic. It‘s always better to see an object and examine it. However, my guts tell me, that this is a replica. It‘s too smooth. Nevertheless it‘s a fun ring and I would enjoy wearing it. €50 is totally ok, I think! It is silver, so that‘s fine :).

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I think it's a really neat piece and €50 is not bad. I would hope that an authentic piece from the roman empire would fetch a much higher price than that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results