shape
carat
color
clarity

A question in regards to grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Classic_Beauty

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I went shopping for an engagement ring. I found the ring of my life, it''s amazing. The style is exactly what I wanted. We looked for approximately 6-7 months and everything was just "okay" but this one is a beauty. Here is the thing: #1 It has been certified be EGL (Is that a known place). #2 The diamond was graded a E-F..is that possible? Does it not have to be just one letter. #3 What should the cut be? What should it say in the certificate?

Any advice is going to be helpful, thanks!!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
EGL doesn''t split grades on mounted diamonds. Maybe the ring was "appraised" in their appraisal lab as a finished piece? If they hedged on the color, you figure F or G to be safe. Better yet, have the seller remove it and grade it correctly. At the same time, make certain the weight and other measurements are correct, too.

Classic_Beauty

Rough_Rock
So do you think it might be wrong? I have never seen a grade split so it''s weird. I hope they are not making fools out of us!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/2/2005 1:58:14 PM
Author:Classic_Beauty

I found the ring of my life, it''s amazing. The style is exactly what I wanted.

Any advice is going to be helpful, thanks!!!
Classic_Beauty,

Don''t let a detail like this make you feel like you are being taken for a fool. It''s common when grading mounted goods to use a split grade, especially with color. If you must have a ''certified'' stone, the jeweler should be able to remove it and have it graded individually for a reasonable fee but this is almost certainly unnecessary. If you are being concerned that you received what you wanted, you did. Reread the above statement. This is the whole objective that everyone strives for. Please don''t spoil your own happiness over this. You might feel more comfortable if you hired an appraiser of your own to look at the piece and let you know if it''s been properly represented.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
If in fact the stone was graded in the mounting, I''d suggest you tell the sellers that you want a GIA or AGS report on it.

It is reasonable and fair for you to pay for his costs of doing it, but in return .you''ll have a far more reliable and accurate grading.

The jeweler may not want to submit to GIA, because of the length of time they take to grade it, but AGS will do it in 5 business days, plus it can be laser inscribed with the report number as well, if the grading coincides with the grading from the EGL report.

Rockdoc

Classic_Beauty

Rough_Rock
Thank you so munch denverappraiser!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results