shape
carat
color
clarity

A question about cushions....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Does anyone know what depth % would be ideal for optical performance in a cushion ? I realize they are all different, but I want a very sparkly diamond with the most spread possible for the carat weight. Is there a range I should limit my search to?
20.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It really depends on the type of cushion you love!

There are really nice stones with depths in the lower ranges- even going down into the ''50''s.
Generally, stones like that will have a large surface area for their weight.
Usually this type of stone will have facet pattern more similar to an emerald cut as compared to other cushions which mimic a round diamond''s facets more closely.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think my preference is the chunky facets vs crushed ice.......does that help narrow it down?
face23.gif

cinnamongurl

Shiny_Rock
Rainier - My cushion that you got a chance to see, has a table and depth % in the 50''s...the table being slightly bigger than the depth. As you saw, it has a big spread, but is still very sparkly. I may be wrong, but I think I saw on the forums before that a sweet spot for a cushion is a table of around 55% and a depth of around 65%. Again, I think it really depends on the stone...and what it looks like. If you love the look, than that''s the most important thing.

Also, if you do a search for Premium Cushions on www.engagementringsdirect.com, they seem to all be falling in the low to mid 60%.

Have you been able to see any other cushions? Keep us posted on your search!
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/24/2009 7:09:06 PM
Author: rainierinspring
I think my preference is the chunky facets vs crushed ice.......does that help narrow it down?
face23.gif
Chunky vs crushed ice is a matter of knowing the measurements of a set of facets called the lower halves or lower girdle facets. Longer lower girdle facets will contribute to a more modern appearance in cushions while shorter will contribute to a more antiquey/chunky faceted style.

Although you're not after it, there are some modern faceted cushions that are absolutely gorgeous.

This information is not provided on lab reports, hence a knowledge of this feature is impossible to ascertain without a visible viewing of the diamond and measurement of its lower half facets.

Internet photography however is *helpful* in ascertaing chunky vs crushed but internet photography *alone* is insufficient for determining the light performance of the particular diamond in question.

If you are after *chunky* plus *rare light performance* ... those are the needles in proverbial the haystack.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks! What about the depth %?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/24/2009 10:49:39 PM
Author: rainierinspring
Thanks! What about the depth %?
Depth % alone tells me zippo. Beleive me when I tell you I *wish* there was a crystal ball that told me facet structure, light performance (brightness, contrast, fire/sparkle patterns), structural integrity, the clarity's impact on transparency, etc. ad nauseum so I could make blind purchases/sells and setup an easy money making business model like bluenile/jamesallen. Until there is I will not be able to sell diamonds with a clear conscience.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it!
face1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results