shape
carat
color
clarity

A Quality

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Celinesque

Rough_Rock
I'm new to this website and quite uneducated when it comes to diamonds. Anyway, my boyfriend got me some diamond earrings for Christmas and he said the jeweler told him that they were "A Quality" as opposed to "B Quality." I'm familiar with the 4 C's of diamonds but I'd never heard of "A Quality." Is this something the jeweler created to indicate a range of clarity? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Garry, You're adding lovely philosophical flavor to the diamond buying process
smile.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"A quality"
This might be the best they carry in their store. It might be less than their "AAA" or "AA quality". Probably it is somewhat better than their "B" or "C quality", but we'd only be guessing.The whole matter of diamond "quality" is an artifice to give some structure and guidance to jewelers and consumers. Nature gives us the rough material and we have this human need to alter it by cutting, polishing and then quality grading it according to a system that we (DeBeers, etc) have created.In truth, you ought to buy what you like the best keeping your budget and emotional needs in mind. This may prove easier said than done, but don't get overwhelmed by the grading structure that has been applied to diamonds. Letters of the alphabet do not make a stone pretty. Use your own vision and your own best judgement combined with the knowledge you can gain from advisors like you'll find here.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Celinesque, I never heard of this system either...Would be good to know what jeweler was meant.If you can post here an info on your diamonds we can see what grade they belong.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
That's the most important thing, Celinesque! Enjoy!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jewlers are people. People like to make their own rules for games so they can win.
This game is played by having an in house grading that means zilch outside his own store.
To get A grade you have to go back there. But someone else’s A might be his B or AAA.It is just a game. We jewlers live in a competitive world and we are good at games, but the only hard rule is buyer makes the rules!

Celinesque

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for your insights. I went to the Jewelry Store's website and chatted on line with a representative who told me the break down of clarity and color for their version of "A Quality." I figured it was something unique to the particular jeweler since I couldn't find anything about "A Quality" on Bluenile.com and similar websites. As you say, the most important thing is whether I like them and I love them!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results