shape
carat
color
clarity

A pet peeve of mine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2008 5:25:57 PM
Author: Maisie
When I send messages on my phone I use predictive text. I find it easier than shortening the words for some reason!
1.gif
Maise I do too and its so easy! The trick is not to look at what you type to you finish the word all my kids use predictive text and told me its only ''old'' people that use acronyms etc
2.gif
Interesting article here about how people are using abbreviations etc on their CV''s and job application letters! One boss said he keeps a file for a laugh of such applications and needless to say the NEVER get an interview
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2008 7:18:10 PM
Author: katebar

When I send messages on my phone I use predictive text. I find it easier than shortening the words for some reason!
1.gif
Maise I do too and its so easy! The trick is not to look at what you type to you finish the word all my kids use predictive text and told me its only ''old'' people that use acronyms etc
2.gif
Interesting article here about how people are using abbreviations etc on their CV''s and job application letters! One boss said he keeps a file for a laugh of such applications and needless to say the NEVER get an interview
1.gif
I check my CV for proper English but to be honest someone that wouldn''t hire someone for using shorthand isn''t someone id like to work with.
:}
I read entire paragraphs in one block so I never see the abbreviations and bad spelling.
I can read this at about 99% of the speed as any other writing,,,

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn''t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2008 3:07:43 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Date: 3/23/2008 1:53:44 PM

Author: MoonWater

Well, I think it''s silly to use poor writing for class or work, but I don''t see the big deal on message boards. But maybe that''s because it''s informal communication. I often leave out apostrophes or shorten words to be done quicker and I type 80wpm. Often I''m typing from work or in the middle of other projects. Besides, it''s known that people do not need correct spelling to understand what is written. As long as the first and last letters are correct, we can pretty much decipher anything. I''m sure everyone has seen this example that went around in email, I certainly had no issue reading it properly the first time around:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn''t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I also could read that with no problems, but that is because, like you, I have a very good sight-word vocabulary and so read whole words. As a note, many people don''t have a good sight word vocabulary and would have a really hard time reading that statement. It is actually a common reading disability, my DH has it though it was never diagnosed as a child and caused him problems in school (I diagnosed him when I met him
9.gif
).

DD

Wow, I never knew that!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for it either. I know texters use it because it's faster to enter, but when I'm reading something that uses a lot of text-speak, it slows me down because I'm not used to it. I tend to skim or skip anything written with a lot of text-speak, or anything written in all caps. Acronyms don't bother me (probably thanks to a career in the bureaucracy
2.gif
) once I know what they mean.

Every now and then one of the newer kids at work will send e-mails using text-speak or no caps. It usually stops before too long -- probably after he or she figures out that it annoys the people responsible for paychecks, raises, and promotions!

BTW, what is predictive text?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Having taught kids with reading problems, I suspected that might be true, but never knew for sure until now. Thanks.

I tried it with our son this afternoon because he couldn''t read or write much of anything until Grade 3. He passed with flying colours (he''s 43, vice president and general manager of a nation- wide company now). What a relief!!

I''ll now try it with our grandgirls when I see them next. Thanks so much!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I'll admit it - I even use correct punctuation when I text. Apparently, I am not cool at all.

I don't have an issue with people using "text speak" if it's in a "text context," but on PS, if someone uses lots of text usages (ur, l8, r u, plz, etc) I may be less inclined to give a thoughtful answer (because of the assumed lack of intention behind the post) AND I'll also assume that the writer is young/immature.

I do use some text-language here (like LOL, cuz) every now and then, and GASP! I teach English. But, this is an informal space. Like I teach my students, your language should match your audience and the accepted rules of the discourse. Around here, written slang is pretty typical, so I use it pretty freely.

Random ?: Has anyone noticed that some of the text shortcuts don't really seem to translate well? How did "UR" become "your?" To me, that would be "you are," unless there are regions where people pronounce that "ooor" or "uhr."

ETA: STORM! THANK YOU! I've been looking for that little blurb and I couldn't remember what it was about or how it was written. I CONSTANTLY tell my students to read their work aloud (or have someone read it to them) because our brains work on auto pilot and fill the gaps for us much faster when we read silently - we skip over our typos and missing words with no problem at all. Rock on!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Yes, what is predictive text?
33.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2008 8:38:02 PM
Author: Elmorton
I''ll admit it - I even use correct punctuation when I text. Apparently, I am not cool at all.

I don''t have an issue with people using ''text speak'' if it''s in a ''text context,'' but on PS, if someone uses lots of text usages (ur, l8, r u, plz, etc) I may be less inclined to give a thoughtful answer (because of the assumed lack of intention behind the post) AND I''ll also assume that the writer is young/immature.

I do use some text-language here (like LOL, cuz) every now and then, and GASP! I teach English. But, this is an informal space. Like I teach my students, your language should match your audience and the accepted rules of the discourse. Around here, written slang is pretty typical, so I use it pretty freely.

Random ?: Has anyone noticed that some of the text shortcuts don''t really seem to translate well? How did ''UR'' become ''your?'' To me, that would be ''you are,'' unless there are regions where people pronounce that ''ooor'' or ''uhr.''

ETA: STORM! THANK YOU! I''ve been looking for that little blurb and I couldn''t remember what it was about or how it was written. I CONSTANTLY tell my students to read their work aloud (or have someone read it to them) because our brains work on auto pilot and fill the gaps for us much faster when we read silently - we skip over our typos and missing words with no problem at all. Rock on!
I have been wondering the exact same thing! It makes no sense.
20.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with you on the "ur" issue--there are so many bastardizations of English that confuse me, too.

For example, my students will often write "ima" in place of "I'm going to", and it took me ages to figure out what they meant. Of course, they don't write that on formal written assignments (more than once), but I've seen it in several journals. There have been times when I've taken away a note from a student and haven't even been able to read a word of it. Oh, I sound so "out of it" as my students would say.

There are so many other words, but I can't think of any at the moment. I must admit, "ima" really perplexed me for a while. Aaaah, those kids keep me young, though, they really do.

ETA: I do dislike any incarnation of the word "cuz" because, well, it's not a word no matter how you spell it. ARG. "Cuz" is right up there with "irregardless" and "whole nother" in my book.

Also, the sight word reading disability is interesting to me--I've never heard of a specific reading disability where an individual is unable to read sight words. I've worked with many students who cannot read sight words at grade level, but it's always due to another issue. Do you have any more information about that? I will say that an adult who cannot read sight words will have significant literacy issues, but my inclination is that they stem from some other disability.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock

Interesting article here about how people are using abbreviations etc on their CV's and job application letters! One boss said he keeps a file for a laugh of such applications and needless to say the NEVER get an interview
1.gif

I hire people for a living. When in response to job ads, I receive cover letters and resumes with spelling mistakes and typos, those are immediately filtered out. Lately I have been receiving responses to job ads via e-mail with texting shortcuts.
33.gif
33.gif

HUH??? Did you want the job?

Any submissions with texting shortcuts are tossed. And to clarify, I source and hire staff for the legal profession, so one would think that people applying for those positions would have the sense to spellcheck spellcheck, spellcheck!

I think that language is a dynamic, ever-changing element in our daily lives. One would hope, however, that a person could figure out when slang and acronyms are appropriate, and when they are not.

That being said, even on this forum, when I see a submission that is FULL of texting shortcuts, I tend to not bother reading through them to the end because it hurts my head. The odd bit here and there doesn't bother me, but those run-on paragraphs, no grammar, punctuation, or capital letters make it very hard to read. That is the point of grammatical structure: to bring some order to the language so that we can be understood by others.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2008 3:15:27 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy

Date: 3/23/2008 1:44:06 PM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 3/23/2008 12:15:30 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy

Date: 3/23/2008 9:49:22 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I realize that I sound like a bitter old woman when I say this, but I''m convinced that text messaging has completely butchered the English language. It drives me batty.
I am with you 100%. I am not a bitter old woman, I am a disallusioned 22 year old, so it comes with the youth as well. It is not a problem too much on this forum, but on my other one with younger girls it tends to be really common. I simply do not read their posts or threads for fear of droping my IQ. I will say I am a poor speller, but that is not laziness, just incompetence.
I think it is unfortunate because it makes the people who do it look stupid, is hard on the rest of us to read and, my experiece with teenagers has taught me, they start to think that way and suffer when it comes time for school work. I also think it is sad, if people are so concerned with just getting the message across and not on the readability, what will happen to literature?

Sorry, off my soapbox, just don''t give up on all us youngings!
I''m a young person, only a couple of years older than you, and I would have to sorely disagree with you here. I think you''re kind of exaggerating the issue.
So if I were to write an intelligent reply to somebody''s question on PS, using all the correct spelling and grammar, but I used ''ur'' instead of ''your'' than you will simply brand my post and me stupid?! I agree when someone goes over the top and writes a whole sentence in truncated words it may be difficult to understand, but are you really saying that when someone uses ''ur'' (I will stick to this example as it is the one in the OP), that you find it hard to follow their meaning? I fnd this hard to understand...?
You admit yourself that you are a poor speller. I ask you what is the difference between laziness and ''incompetence'' - if you really wanted to you could take the time to learn to spell 100% properly, just like I could spell out All my words if I weren''t being a little bit lazy sometimes...

If that is your opinion, than you will have to avoid all my posts from now one, incase ''your IQ gets dropped''. But I am concerned that if you apply such harsh judgement to everyone, you may have to skip over the posts of some really knowledgeable people!

Sorry, off my soapbox aswell. I just don''t like all young people getting tarred with the same brush.
1.gif
I don''t mean people who ocassionally use ur or cuz stop me from reading a post, I mean ones that are so full of text speak they are illegible, sorry I didn''t make that clear. The difference with my spelling is I have a hearing issue that makes it difficult for me to spell correctly (because I cannot understand the phonetics properly) or pronounce words I have read but never heard correctly. Maybe that''s why ''cuz'' bothers me, it is one of the few words I can consistantly spell correctly!
I just know my teenage cousins have a difficult time changing out of text speak for class so even though they are smart, they often do poorly becuase they lack the skills to go back and forth and that is what scares me, not people who can do both well.
Ok, no worries I understand now thankyou for explaining your position better. I just thought your first post was a little harsh, but now I get it more
1.gif

I agree, posts where the person spells completely in text speak are silly, as are the texts, but I am yet to see that sort of thing on PS (hopefully it stays that way!)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2008 8:07:23 PM
Author: strmrdr

1.gif
2.gif
1.gif
I check my CV for proper English but to be honest someone that wouldn''t hire someone for using shorthand isn''t someone id like to work with.
I read entire paragraphs in one block so I never see the abbreviations and bad spelling.

''Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn''t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.''
Nice point Strm, I''ve seen that before and think its interesting.
I''m pretty surprised at the reaction this thread has gotten! I completely agree with the sentiment that posts written entirely in text speak and/or with no punctuation and spelling mistakes are almost illegible. Now I admit I use "ur" sometimes (and some others I can''t think of right now) but I too find these posts often too hard to finish reading. So I do understand why people who aren''t used to using it find it frustrating
5.gif

I do feel that a distinction should be made though - between those that *choose* to use this shorthand in "exceptable" situations such as texting and forums, and know when to use formal English everywhere else (such as me
1.gif
). And those people that are lazy enough to use this on a job application or Resume or simliar formal communication. I would Never do this and take pride when writing such a document.

About the comments that people are likely to skip over someone''s posts if they do use shorthand here or there, or not post a reply because of it, well I think thats a bit sad
7.gif
This is, after all, an INformal discussion forum...
If it makes me look younger, I don''t mind - I am! But I also have a full education, take pride in my written formal English and know when to use shorthand or not
1.gif

ok, stepping down off my soapbox now..
9.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Predictive Text is the feature on some phones that gives you an option of selecting the most commonly used word based on the first few letters you type... so you type "fo..." and the word "foot" pops up. You hit your enter button and you don't have to complete the word. Sometimes you have to be careful that you didn't select something you didn't intend.

I have noticed my phone "remembers" words I've typed. It's great for the longer words; for the shorter ones I usually don't bother.

Elmorton... completely agree with you about "your language should match your audience and the accepted rules of the discourse."

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2008 9:16:11 PM
Author: orbaya

Date: 3/23/2008 8:38:02 PM
Author: Elmorton
I''ll admit it - I even use correct punctuation when I text. Apparently, I am not cool at all.

I don''t have an issue with people using ''text speak'' if it''s in a ''text context,'' but on PS, if someone uses lots of text usages (ur, l8, r u, plz, etc) I may be less inclined to give a thoughtful answer (because of the assumed lack of intention behind the post) AND I''ll also assume that the writer is young/immature.

Random ?: Has anyone noticed that some of the text shortcuts don''t really seem to translate well? How did ''UR'' become ''your?'' To me, that would be ''you are,'' unless there are regions where people pronounce that ''ooor'' or ''uhr.''

ETA: STORM! THANK YOU! I''ve been looking for that little blurb and I couldn''t remember what it was about or how it was written. I CONSTANTLY tell my students to read their work aloud (or have someone read it to them) because our brains work on auto pilot and fill the gaps for us much faster when we read silently - we skip over our typos and missing words with no problem at all. Rock on!
I have been wondering the exact same thing! It makes no sense.
20.gif
I would venture a guess... UR makes sense as a shortcut for "you are," which sounds the same if you say the letters U-R. Maybe since many people don''t know the difference between you''re and your the shortcut is used for either.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2008 12:18:28 AM
Author: sera
Predictive Text is the feature on some phones that gives you an option of selecting the most commonly used word based on the first few letters you type... so you type 'fo...' and the word 'foot' pops up. You hit your enter button and you don't have to complete the word. Sometimes you have to be careful that you didn't select something you didn't intend.
Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation! That's probably how one of our documents (not mine...) that was discussing organics (as in orgainic compounds) ended up using another org**** word
6.gif
31.gif
... and MoonWater's Cambridge University study example probably explains how this error made it into print!
23.gif
2.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2008 12:51:08 AM
Author: MINIMS

Date: 3/24/2008 12:18:28 AM
Author: sera
Predictive Text is the feature on some phones that gives you an option of selecting the most commonly used word based on the first few letters you type... so you type ''fo...'' and the word ''foot'' pops up. You hit your enter button and you don''t have to complete the word. Sometimes you have to be careful that you didn''t select something you didn''t intend.
Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation! That''s probably how one of our documents (not mine...) that was discussing organics (as in orgainic compounds) ended up using another org**** word
6.gif
31.gif
... and MoonWater''s Cambridge University study example probably explains how this error made it into print!
23.gif
2.gif
23.gif
Oh my, how embarassing!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Author: strmrdr

''Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn''t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.''
I think that would depend on the job.

When I am hiring people I normally get between 30 and 40 applications. I only have time to interview around 6 candidates, so I am looking for reasons to exclude people.

My job demands not only good English, but a full understanding of ''Correct Form'' plus extreme attention to detail. If an applicant can''t be bothered to write a CV and cover letter perfectly, I will have little faith in their ability to understand the importance of Correct Form or to be sufficiently attentive to accuracy.

My current 23 year old assistant has black cleopatra style hair with a bright pink fringe, 3 nose rings, 18 earrings, a tattoo of beetles (that I helped design) from one shoulder right down her back, brands up the backs of her legs - and an ''interesting'' wardrobe. However, she is outstandingly clever, has a beautiful speaking voice and accent - and is super correct and accurate in every way.

I will admit a few heads do turn when we have meetings in the House of Lords tearooms...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2008 10:01:47 AM
Author: Pandora II

I think that would depend on the job.

When I am hiring people I normally get between 30 and 40 applications. I only have time to interview around 6 candidates, so I am looking for reasons to exclude people.

My job demands not only good English, but a full understanding of ''Correct Form'' plus extreme attention to detail. If an applicant can''t be bothered to write a CV and cover letter perfectly, I will have little faith in their ability to understand the importance of Correct Form or to be sufficiently attentive to accuracy.

My current 23 year old assistant has black cleopatra style hair with a bright pink fringe, 3 nose rings, 18 earrings, a tattoo of beetles (that I helped design) from one shoulder right down her back, brands up the backs of her legs - and an ''interesting'' wardrobe. However, she is outstandingly clever, has a beautiful speaking voice and accent - and is super correct and accurate in every way.

I will admit a few heads do turn when we have meetings in the House of Lords tearooms...

You said it better than I did, Pandora! I have a couple of "Goth" type staffers who really turn a few heads, but their english is impeccable with nary a typo/grammar error in sight.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2008 9:04:34 PM

Author: isaku5
Yes, what is predictive text?

Thank you for asking, Isabel. I was going to do so after reading the thread, but you rendered that unnecessary :).

Deb
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results