shape
carat
color
clarity

A Peridot Heart. Opinions, please!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, in my local jeweler there is a peridot heart pendant that I quite like. I've never really bought peridot but I thought this one might look nice with a black sweater. It's a nice heart-shape, about 8mm across, and is a lovely bright green. It's set in sterling silver and costs $135. Is that an OK price for a peridot heart, do you think? Or is it overpriced? Thanks for your help!

:wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is the colour? Is it pure green? Some yellow? How much yellow?
How is the cut?
What is the ct weight?
How is the design of the silver setting?

It doesn't sound too bad, actually, considering it is a completed piece.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your quick reply, Chrono. You are such an expert!

The color is a bright green, and is not a yellow-green. In terms of the cut, it's a nice heart shape. Unlike many hearts, you can see that it's a heart. From what I remember, I think it might be a concave cut. The carat weight is not given - it's only an inexpensive store selling semi-precious stones set in silver and many of their items are $50 and below, although they have some up to about 3k, but it's a rock and mineral store as opposed to a fine jeweler. I estimate the heart across the widest point to be 8-10mm. The setting is just a claw setting with a silver bail.

I've tried to find something similar online but I can't. $135 is unusually expensive for this little store, so maybe that's because of the bright color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's how I might break it down. Does that look about right to you?
8 mm heart peridot = 2 ct = nice green = $50
Silver setting = $50
Setting fee = $30

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that sounds about right, Chrono. It's a very bright green though - quite radical for me! I'm considering how much I would wear it.

I was just reading about peridot and apparently it's not treated. Can that really be true? I looked at that bright green heart and assumed it must be treated to within an inch of its little life!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peridot is very well suited to concave cutting. I made a simple ring using a trilliant concave cut peridot and it was only $80 for the stone alone. As you said, very bright and attractive to look at. Yes, as far as I know, peridot is untreated although there are plenty of synthetics.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool about your ring! Do you have photos?

I was just reading about peridot and something I read said there weren't synthetics - but perhaps that info is wrong. I do trust the store, anyway - they specialize in minerals and they have a limited amount of stuff which is lab-created, but that stuff is kept separate from all the real stuff and is very clearly marked as "created". The staff seem knowledgeable about treatments, too.

Well, perhaps I'll take a silver chain and go and try on the little heart.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gifted it to my mother and I don't think I ever took pictures of it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky Mom! You're a kind daughter, Chrono.

I bought the peridot heart and it's gorgeous! I wasn't sure about it since it's such a vivid green, but I took my silver chain to the store and tried it on, and I couldn't believe how lovely it looks! Far, far better than I imagined in the case. I'm so excited as I have nothing else like this - I adore it! I will do a SMTB thread on it tomorrow. It's 2.7 carats.

Thanks for all the advice about peridot!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Congrats jambalaya! :clap: Looking forward to seeing your new peridot when you get it posted! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Jambalaya. I have to do my part to prevent Mum from buying mall jewellery. :knockout: Looking forward to seeing your new pendant in SMTB.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results