shape
carat
color
clarity

A Nigerian pink tourmaline and rubellite from the new find!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certain unnamed posters have nagged me to take pictures of my new pink and red tourmalines so here they are in a new thread of their own. These posters know exactly who they are so they cannot complain about the poor quality of the pictures.
25.gif
Note that while I managed to capture some crown facet details, I could not capture a single pavilion facet detail. Also, since the stones are soft and I didn’t want to scratch them, they have a lot of smudges from my handling.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll start of with the little pink. It is a 1 ct round measuring 6 mm with an incredible hot pink colour that gives off amazing blue flashes. The saturation is better in person and I wish it was 3x larger.
9.gif

Pink008.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the hand and under low light condition; I believe the stone to be picking up some orange from my hand because of the location of the orangish tint.

Pink0020.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone isn’t afraid of direct sunlight. Note that it is very clean and all the little bits that you see are smudges caused by yours truly.
emembarrassed.gif

Pink0026.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another picture taken in direct sunlight, this time at an angle to show the lovely pink flash.

Pink027A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taken under indirect sunlight showing a pink/red combination.

rubellite004.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention the stats: 1.5 ct rubellite measuring around 7 mm. Very clean for this material. Here, it shows a lot of red under diffused sunlight.

rubellite022.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how it stays red under direct sunlight while giving off pink flashes.

rubellite023.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please excuse the smudge and my fat fingers blocking half the view of the stone.

rubellite024.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top: 2.28 ct “rubellite” from the same cutter but I couldn’t handle the inclusions so it’s going back. You can see the largest one here in this picture as a streak running across the table. It is also not red enough for me to classify it as a rubellite. It does have awesome colour under diffused lighting though which I’ll post in a bit.

Lower Left: 1 ct pink tourmaline which is the first stone I posted.

Lower Right: 1.5 ct rubellite which is the second stone I posted.

Trio017.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.28 ct showing a lovely purple pink under indirect lighting.

indirectsunhand3.JPG

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
HotHotHot!!

Those pics are just fine, said the photo-challenged Stoniegrl, LOL!!

Lovely stones, what are you plans for them, or are they just in the "They make me smile" phase right now?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 1:36:19 PM
Author: Chrono
On the hand and under low light condition; I believe the stone to be picking up some orange from my hand because of the location of the orangish tint.
Chrono - you''re orange?
9.gif
23.gif
9.gif
23.gif
9.gif

The little pinkie is very pretty and I much much much prefer the smaller Rubellite (which is showing a good amount of red). I''m glad you''re sending back the larger Rubellite because that inclusion would do my head in as well!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 1:58:01 PM

Top: 2.28 ct “rubellite” from the same cutter but I couldn’t handle the inclusions so it’s going back. You can see the largest one here in this picture as a streak running across the table. It is also not red enough for me to classify it as a rubellite. It does have awesome colour under diffused lighting though which I’ll post in a bit.

Lower Left: 1 ct pink tourmaline which is the first stone I posted.

Lower Right: 1.5 ct rubellite which is the second stone I posted.
This is an excellent picture because it really shows the saturation of color in three different stones of the same species stone and color family (slightly purplish red). Great shot. I really love the one in the lower right the best, and I can see why you're returning the top one after comparing it with the two lower ones.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Very nice - I especially love the sunlight photos that show the pink/red combo! Are these from the same cutter as mine? And can you shed some light on the new find in Nigeria - how recent, and prolific?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 4:36:32 PM
Author: cellentani
Very nice - I especially love the sunlight photos that show the pink/red combo! Are these from the same cutter as mine? And can you shed some light on the new find in Nigeria - how recent, and prolific?
Cellantani,
Yes, these are also from Bob Kast, who cut your lovely square cushion rubellite. I only know that this is from the new find from Nigeria and do not know how long they expect to mine it. I also feel somewhat guilty about Bob’s source having to risk limb and life in order to get the rough material as there is major political & religious unrest currently near the mining area.
7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 3:17:51 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 3/9/2010 1:36:19 PM
Chrono - you're orange?
9.gif
23.gif
9.gif
23.gif
9.gif

The little pinkie is very pretty and I much much much prefer the smaller Rubellite (which is showing a good amount of red). I'm glad you're sending back the larger Rubellite because that inclusion would do my head in as well!
My skin tone is orangish pink which is why I cannot wear padparascha coloured stones.
11.gif
9.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, it''s pretty awesome that your 1.5ct rubellite is so clean - frankly, I think mine has inclusions that would rival the one you''ve decided to return!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely pictures Chrono!
36.gif
My gem budget is all played out, according to the dh, or I''d be emailing Bob! I''d be happy to take your reject!
3.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Sweet stones..seen the new material finds in crystal form(etched)..very nice..when i saw that first pic i sort of grimiced..but..they got much better..LOL..some are not to bad..color looks very very nice..that red is truly hot

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
O-M-G Chrono!!! It''s a hot & yummy Rubellite treat! Exceptionally beautiful gems
30.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
beautiful colours
36.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stones!!
30.gif

-A

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the pink!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn''t mind the inclusions because the stone is still beautiful but I like the small red one most. Pink is HOT, though.
Chrono, I have been tracking your stones - you are not orange, you''re ONE PINK LADY!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
PINK!!!!
30.gif

Lori

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Wow, some serious eye-candy! They''re all beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results