shape
carat
color
clarity

A newb''s collected e-ring questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orsoihaveread

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I've really appreciated all of the info posted here, it's been invaluable. I feel like I'm pretty much at kindergarten level in terms of education.

Engagement ring time: I'm looking to do a round solitaire in the 1.6 to 1.8 ct range, ideal cut. Eye clean SI1 with G/H/I color.

For the setting I think she'll like the simple, classy looks most, the Tiffany repros will probably work well. She prefers white gold/plat to yellow. She doesn't know beans about jewelry so maybe frozen spit would work--but she's the best thing that ever happened to me and deserves something reflecting that. The good news is she's going to say yes hehe.

Questions:

- Is it bad to do an I color stone with white gold or platinum (assuming the rough params above and my general insistence that the cut be really good, < 2 HCA)? I've seen other posts suggesting than H might be the bottom end there.

- Does anyone have some pics of a 1.5-2 ct stone on a size 6 finger? I've seen stones like that on a lot of 3-4.5 size finger hand shots and they look great, but when I've seen these stones in person I wondered how it's going to size up on her hand.

- Do you get the insurance before you take delivery of the stone? I'm envisioning me getting robbed by a band of highwaymen or ninjas on my way back down through Manhattan. I was trying to work through the sequence: buy stone, get it appraised, call JM or Chubb and get it covered.

- I've done a fair amount of browsing at WF, GOG and Excel. I'm in Manhattan so I have that going for me, but the branded/premium cuts from these vendors seem to give me the most comfort. These were the stones I found myself thinking could be winners, but I have not gone to see them yet:

H&A 1.84 I SI1
Carat : 1.84
Cut : AGS Ideal 0
Clarity : SI1
Color : I
Depth : 61.1
Table : 56.9%
Girdle : Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet : None
Polish : Excellent
Symmetry : Excellent
Clarity Characteristics : Feather, Pinpoint
Fluorescence : None
Crown Angle : 34.5
Crown Height : 14.8%
Pavil. Angle : 40.7
Pavil. Depth : 43%

HCA = 1.0, the inclusion at 12-1 o'clock seemed like it might be big. Looks like good size, cut and price. Color is a concern and the gemex wasn't as nice as some of the GOG stones.

H&A 1.71 H SI1
Carat : 1.71
Clarity : SI1
Color : H
Depth : 61.9
Table : 55%
Girdle : Medium to Slightly Thick
Clarity Characteristics : Feather, needle, cloud
Crown Height : 15.5%
Pavil. Angle : 40.8

HCA = 1.2, better color, cloud mentioned re: clarity, better gemex, smaller size.

H&A 1.5 G VS1

Carat : 1.5
Clarity : VS1
Color : G
Depth : 61.3
Table : 57%
Girdle : Medium to Slightly Thick
Clarity Characteristics : Feather, needle, cloud
Crown Height : 15%
Pavil. Angle : 41

HCA = 1.5, better color still, cloud mentioned again.

These are sort of representative of what I'm looking at, but if anyone has seen anything else out there similar that has similar kinds of cut and other relevant parameters, definitely show me the way.

- Is it bad form to get the stone set in the most basic/generic way for initial presentation and then let her pick out the setting after the fact? Or is this a cop out?

Thanks again, looking to get it halfway right the first time :)

[Edited: thx, stebbo]

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi!

You can definitely put an I in WG or Platinum, no prob.

If you go through the show me the ring thread, you''ll see tons of pics with all the stats (stone size, ring size). I have a 1.4 on a 6 1/4 finger, and it looks great, so bigger can only be better.
2.gif

I think most get the ring insured after purchase (I did). Just hone up on your karate and you ought to be fine.
9.gif

You picked some nice stones, my choice would be the H.

And no, getting the stone put in a simple setting and then letting her pick is perfect! Many on here have done the same.

You''ve done a good job at educating yourself it seems, and I predict you''ll get it absolutely right.
5.gif

HTH

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 5:02:08 PM
Author:orsoihaveread
- Is it bad form to get the stone set in the most basic/generic way for initial presentation and then let her pick out the setting after the fact? Or is this a cop out?
Another option, one that worked well for me, is to just present her the loose diamond. Your supplier should be able to give you a H&A scope so you can show her the romantic heart pattern--she'll never get to see it again once the stone's mounted. My wife didn't know a thing about diamonds either, but she still remembers those hearts!

Diamonds are diamonds - get the biggest and brightest round you can afford and you can't really go too wrong, especially for the girl who doesn't know them that well.

Settings however vary enormously and make or break a ring--that's why I recommend she has a bit of a say in it. But if you need to surprise her, I think you have chosen correctly--a Tiffany would have the highest chance of success.

Stebbo

PS. If you find some stones you like, put them on hold or don't mention where they come from, otherwise they'll disappear before your eyes.

orsoihaveread

Rough_Rock
Thx both. I found your ring in the Show Me thread, Ellen, totally beautiful :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 7:20:45 AM
Author: orsoihaveread
Thx both. I found your ring in the Show Me thread, Ellen, totally beautiful :)
Aww, thank you!

And stebbo raises some good points. It would be neat to see the hearts!

And yes, lurkers can and do snatch stones up at times....

Good luck, and do come back and post pics if you can!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results