shape
carat
color
clarity

a new stone...opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
here are the stats on a new stone i'm eyeing.
round
measure: 7.65 x 7.49 x 4.38
carat: 1.52
color: D
clarity: SI2
flourescene: faint
depth: 57.9%
table: 62%
girdle: slightly thick faceted
polish: good
symmetry: very good
cutlet: none
egl report
$7,650.00

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Kathi,

This stone looks poorly cut to me and the EGL report does not give me confidence in the color or clarity grading, especially if it is from EGL-Israel.

What are you looking for in terms of 4 C's priorities?

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
hi, thanks for responding...i'm looking for color & clarity most of all, why are you sceptical with an egl-israel report?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
EGL Israel is known for grading diamonds 1-2 color and clarity grades better than they would have been graded by GIA or AGS. That diamond could be an F I2.

Are you looking to meet a certain budget? Certain carat weight? Cut is what will determine the way the diamond refracts light, i.e., the amount of brilliance, dispersion and scintillation. Do you like a balanced look, a fiery diamond, alot of brilliance with little fire, big flashes of light or tiny ones?

With more specifics, we will help you find something that will hopefully make you happy. :)

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
i'm looking for white fire and brilliance...princess cut diamonds for earrings 1.00-1.50 ctw. some of these sights have no pictures, just words to describe the stone...i'm leary. any suggestions for just plain great sights to buy from, it seems i could sit at the computer and search and compare all day long and only be confused at comparrisons one after the other :rolleyes:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Princess cuts? I thought you were looking for a round.

I suggest you contact a dealer and ask him/her to find diamonds to meet your needs. Find a site that has a good gemologist with experience. Well-cut princess cuts are hard to find but it is do-able.

www.demsjewelers.com (Steve Livingston)
www.affordablediamondsonline.com
www.usacerteddiamonds.com
www.jewelryzone.com
www.diamondsandgems.com

There's a start. Some have brick and mortar shops, some don't. Some may be cheaper, but offer fewer services.

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
yes, looking for round to possibly replace my almost 20 year old 1.25 pear original center stone if i could find something i just could not pass up. really, really looking for princess cut diamond earrings to buy now. i will check out the sites you've suggested, then look to jewelers in my area, then compare. hopefully time well spent.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I am checking out a diamond that is a 1.01 D/VS2 depth 61.0, table 56.0, med girdle, polish ex, sym ex, fluor none. It is just $5540 per carot price. This seems low for a decent cut and ex polish/sym. I saw the certificate and it is just EGL. Does not say USA, LA, or NY on it. Should I suspect it is an EGL lab with standards that do not match AGS? Should I have it AGS certified before considering buying it? On the HCAdvisor it scores a 2.0. This makes me want to look for a better cut, unless the cut advisor might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results