shape
carat
color
clarity

a new pendant and a new ring - photos

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hallo all
35.gif

a few weeks before i turned 21 (around 29 years ago!), my mother asked me what i'd like for my 21st birthday. i said i would like a bangle which she owned, which had been given to her on her 21st birthday by her father, my grandfather. she went away, and came back about a week later and said "kareyn, i've thought about it, but my dad gave this to me, and i want to keep it a bit longer. i've decided you'll inherit it from me when i die, but not before." a week later, while away for a weekend with my dad, my mother died of a heart attack at the age of 58.

a week later i turned 21.

so in my mind, i did indeed inherit her bangle - both at her death, and on the occasion of my 21st.

unfortunately, the bangle had been snapped for many years, and some bright spark had tried to solder it with lead solder (!!!) needless to say, this didn't go well. i had thought i'd be able to have it fixed, but this wasn't possible. and so it languished in my drawer for decades.

i am currently in australia (the country of my birth) for a vacation from NY (where i now live with my husband), and have been here since late january. to break up the time apart, and as a bit of a freebie, i suspect, from his boss, tim was sent to australia for one week for work - over valentine's day. :) with him, he brought a .46 K SI1 diamond for me for valentine's day. K SI1 is a perfect choice for me, as my initials are KS :) we took the diamond and the broken bangle to my wonderful jeweler in the Blue Mountains where i'm now staying and where i used to live, and he set the diamond into a charm/pendant for me, and with the remainder of the gold, made a ring for my sister, which i am giving her tomorrow as a surprise gift.

i originally intended this charm to go on my charm bracelet, but it's simply too precious. so instead, i had a different sort of bale put onto it, and am now wearing it on the same chain as the pendant we had made last year with the remainder of the gold from remaking our wedding rings for our 25th wedding anniversary.

this is one PRECIOUS necklace!

and here she is....
9.gif

abkoonecklace1.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
2 of 5

abkoonecklace2.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
3 of 5

abkoonecklace3.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
little bit blurry, but you get the idea...

abkoonecklace4.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
and here she is in profile :)

abkoonecklace5.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love it Whit! I am so glad you were able to have this and have so much meaning from it.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
and here''s my sister''s new ring.

it''s only simple, but it was to convey a big idea :)

the stone in the middle is a sapphire - my sister''s birthstone. either side is a small diamond - my mother''s birthstone. the symbolism, obviously, is that - altho departed - my mother still surrounds my sister in an ongoing sense. these are set into gold from my mother''s bangle from her father - representing the longevity of family and the nurture it provides.

i''m seeing her tomorrow and this should be a small, but sweet surprise :)

i hope she likes it!

abcjuliesring1.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
here it is in profile. you can see the slight contour to the band; slightly thicker at the top and slightly wider - tapering at the bottom.

at some point i''m planning on having one made just like it, using a small ruby that was in the original bangle.

abcjuliesring2.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
it''s a simple thing, but i''m hoping she''ll wear it all the time...

i think she will :)

abcjuliesring3.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
and while i was there, i decided to have the shank of my engagement ring filed down. i like the way it tapers now much better.

my friend deb modeled the ring as i was juggling the camera. her finger is a size 7 1/4.

ring stats: .46/.83/.47 F VS1, F SI1, F VS2. all ex/ex/ex. stones from Blue Nile. setting in platinum by Barrett Salzmann at Von Bargens New Hampshire.

i look at it and i think "wouldn''t it just look perfect if it had a 2.8mm plat wedding band set with 3pt stones, .98ctw, made by...oh,i dont know...say...Leon?"

which is REALLY LUCKY, because it just so happens....

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

abckooeng1.jpg

So Excited

Shiny_Rock
Both pieces are absolutely beautiful!! I love all of the symbolism that they represent. It''s wonderful that you have Finally gotten to make something wearable out of your mothers treasure. I''m sure your sister will be VERY happy with her ring - I love its simplicity and symbolism. Please let us know her reaction.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It just so happens that I think I''m interrupting your pictures
3.gif
but I love your new pretties! The sentiment behind them is so lovely Whitby! I think your sister will love her new ring too!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What thoughtful and sweet pieces of jewelery! And stunning too of course!

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
WOW. What a touching story, and piece. I''m sorry to hear how you acquired the bracelet, but both pieces sure are touching.. and lovely. Please make sure that''s one sturdy chain! I''m sure your sister will love the gift. In fact, she''s going to cry.. I''m touched, and I''m not even related! :)

The two pendents go so well together, too.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Whitby, I love how your personality and thoughtfulness come across in your posts - and I LOVE how they come across in your jewellery, and the jewellery you have made for those you love!

I''m a really sentimental and emotional person and I almost cried just reading the story of the bangles and your mother, and the symbolism behind your pendant and the ring you had made for your sister.

Your family is lucky to have you! I don''t mean lucky to be given the jewellery (although that is true too), but for that thoughtfulness.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whitby,
I love how your mind works. You find something special in everything. I think your sister is going to be really thrilled to receive that beautiful ring. I love your pendent, it looks lovely with the other one you had made. Its all so special. Just like you
1.gif

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Lovely Whitby, congratulations!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely!

cheers--Sharon

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pieces, Whitby. And I love reading your touching stories behind every piece.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hey Kareyn!!

OMG I love the story and I''m excited to hear how your sister reacts to her beautiful ring! I think it''s a great sentiment. Can''t wait to see it all in person
2.gif
(that''s my way of reminding you of our spa day!)

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
oh Whitby, this is why you''re one of my favorite PSers! what a touching story and it just makes those pieces (which are absolutely beautiful!) even that much more special. i''m sure your sister will be thrilled with the ring, and i can''t wait to hear about her reaction. i know you two will wear your pieces in good health!
36.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
What amazingly sentimental, and beautiful pieces. I love that you are able to wear yours close to your heart! I can''t wait for you to share you sister''s reaction. The ring is perfection.

And the modification to your three stone..... PERFECTION!! I forgot what a beautiful piece that is. I imagine you''re chomping to get that diamond band on your hand with it.

35.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread, whitby! There are some photos here that I hadn't seen in your thread about the birth of a new charm :).

AGBF
34.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
All gorgeous, and I really like the thinner shank on the three-stone!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats on the new and beautiful things, Whitby! The sentiment is endearing :) Do you by chance have any photos of the bangle? What a bittersweet story... so generous of you to share with your sister :)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All amazing pieces, and what wonderful meaning behind them. Just beautiful!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah whitby, it''s just beautiful and so special. It looks perfect next to your other pendant!! I also love your sister''s ring. It''s amazing! She will be so thrilled to recieve it.
36.gif
36.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
These pieces are so special, Whitby. I really enjoyed hearing the stories behind them, as well. Wear them in health. I''m sure that your sister will be thrilled with her ring.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Whitby I can''t imagine how hard it must have been to loose your mum like that, and I also can''t think of a better way to celebrate her legacy for your sister. It''s a beautiful ring and I''m sure she will love it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your pendants, they are beyond precious!

And your three stone! I love the proportions of you rings. You need to take pics more often. I know your sister would love the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results