shape
carat
color
clarity

A New Diamond Age

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am a small part of this great company, Imagem. This is the first public news about the newest of the grading technologies for diamonds. While I can't say a lot more right now, I will keep the Pricescope members informed on this company and what it hopes to accomplish as these things are made public.

We do hope to provide totally objective and repeatable grading of diamonds with this new technology. And there is more....Another week or two and we will give more advice about it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RIGHT? WRONG? or OUTRAGEOUS?

Just dreaming up a diamond market timeline here:
1) cutter does the grading prior to sale
2) concept of ideal diamond cut invented.
3) third party does grading (technology prohibiting alternatives)
4) departures from centralized grading system: customer invited to take a look (H&A viewer, hand-held); independent cutters and graders develop technologies accessible to the trade (8* 'scope'; and this new one now).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problems: various grading systems offer competing quality concepts and systems, simmilar to stage #1.

Possible solution I: (market liberalization model) customers get less certain choices, independent grading systems win pieces of the market but average diamond prices slide down. The unitary concept developed in stage #2 is progressively diluted: demand and prices slide further...

Possible solution II: the old, centralized grading system acquires the new technology owing to the unified concept developed in stage #2. The unitary concept of ideal cut survives, so do prices and demand, but not so the new innovators.

What makes the difference between the last two scenarios?
read.gif
The ability of the new technology to promote a unique performance measure for diamond cuts.

Ok, done with the homework... back to the other markets
nono.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Sounds exciting. I was disappointed to read that they are not planning on selling or leasing the machines though.

Are they planning on offering this as a pay-per-play service then?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
we will watch and listen with great interest.
On the sticker though you can see the angles and % do not make sense. The diamond comes out at .98ct not +1ct.

% to .01% seems like a very big call?

Imagen Sticker with proportions and cut grade.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results