Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

A new definition for "headlights"

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
119
Back in 2010, I purchased my first pair of bezel diamond studs from BGD, which are .87tcw J VS1/SI1. I've worn them probably at least half of the time that I've owned them and still absolutely love them. However, DSS sunk in last year (and I have big earlobes), and being in NYC, I went to ID Jewelry to check out some earrings. Instead, I ended up purchasing a pair of 20 x 5-pointer diamond jackets from Tami (I never got around to posting them, bad PS member). That kept me happy for a while...

Last October, I gave birth to a beautiful baby daughter. I started to think, "Oh I should save my studs for her and get myself a new pair" (as if I really need an excuse). At first, I looked at BGD again to see if perhaps it made more sense to upgrade; but at the time, diamond prices were still pretty high for the size I wanted. So every other month or so, I'd check various sites but still couldn't pull the trigger. Before I realized it, my birthday and my very first Mother's Day were coming soon, so I started to look at earrings more seriously. I thought I had narrowed down the search to a pair of ~1.4tcw J VS2s from another PS vendor, but then I decided to visit ID Jewelry one afternoon to see what they could do. Do you see where this is going?

I get to the store and am greeted by the same crew that I've seen for years. I initially worked with Tami again, who was showing me some of their uncerted studs. Of course I wore my studs + jackets that day, so I tried on a pair of 1.5tcw and 2tcw earrings (love the size), but really wanted something with AGS or GIA certificates. So Yekeutiel takes over and asks me for the stats for my "dream earrings" (5+ carats? If only!) and starts a new search online.

He takes maybe 5 minutes or so to find 2 GIA-certed diamonds (.75 J VS2 and .77 I SI) and calls them in from different stores. While waiting for the stones, I asked about small studs (10-pointers) for my cartilage piercing. They had just made one for another client so I got to try it on - it was a good fit, so I kept it in the back of my mind. So the J stone arrive within 15 minutes, and he is immediately not happy with it because it is a brown-tinted diamond. The second stone arrives, and we both agree it's not a good match since the I is more of a yellow tint. He starts to search for a new mate to the .77 I and finds a .80 I SI, which was practically perfect for it. Of course we had to check the HCA before making any sort of decision (1.1 and 0.7) :naughty:

The stones looked super fiery and definitely excellent cut; it was a no brainer to me. Within 30 minutes of getting to the store, I'm ordering a new pair of studs to be set into a low-profile 4 prong basket setting! Two days later, I'm wearing those earrings back to the office and put in another order for a 10-pointer stud for my other piercing, which I just picked up this past Monday. Had to wait a few days to be able to take decent pictures since the weather has been kinda meh in NY lately, but the sun finally came out this Friday - totally blingy "headlights". I took some shots of the new studs next to the older ones, with and without the jackets :) Hope you all enjoy, I know I definitely am :bigsmile:
 

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
119
My new 1.57 tcw I SI Studs from ID Jewelry (.77 on the left, .80 on the right)

idstuds1.jpg

The studs with the new 10-pointer for my third piercing

idstuds2.jpg

New and old studs, which are BGD Signature .88tcw J VS2/SI1 in their handmade bezel setting, ~.48mm stones

idstuds3.jpg

Left to right - .80, .44 and .10

idstuds4.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: AV_

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
119
A shot of the basket settings. The left stone is the .77 (5.9mm) and the right is .80 (5.96mm)

idstuds5.jpg

And of course an ear shot! (.77)

idstuds6.jpg

With a 10 x 5-point jacket (6.5mm internal diameter)

idstuds7.jpg

Another halo ear shot

idstuds8.jpg
 

Alex T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
4,970
Love :love: Perfect size on your lobe :appl:

And I love the little studs for your other piercing!
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,377
Hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: that is just crazy how fast IDJ works!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Your new "headlights" are fantastic!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,720
Hmmm.... did your new studs fit in the old halo? Looks gorgeous. Love the bezel studs too. My studs are about the same size as your small ones (.88tcw). I need some halos and some larger studs! Congratulations!!!!
 

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
119
luv2sparkle|1463876229|4034590 said:
Hmmm.... did your new studs fit in the old halo? Looks gorgeous. Love the bezel studs too. My studs are about the same size as your small ones (.88tcw). I need some halos and some larger studs! Congratulations!!!!
The old studs were flush in the halo since they were bezeled, whereas the new studs sit above the jackets. There is a very slight airline with the bezels. Took a picture so you can visualize (used my phone, sorry for the blur):

idstuds9.jpg

When I purchased the jackets, I had the option of going with 3-pointers and a smaller diameter, which probably fit the bezel studs perfectly. However, I did intend to upgrade my earrings at some point or to wear them with different colored stone earrings so I went with the 5-pointers. Also, my earlobes are huge, so I wanted the coverage the larger jackets provided :cheeky:
 

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
4,266
Your earrings are beautiful. Another great IDJ story!!! Can't wait to go to NYC to meet Yekutiel one day. Thank you for sharing. :love:
 

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
1,088
Re: A new definition for "headlights"

Love them all! As someone with 2 cartilage piercings (different spots than you though, I have my forward helix and conch pierced) I want to ask if your earring for your helix is a standard earring?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,720
Chasiu|1463883829|4034639 said:
luv2sparkle|1463876229|4034590 said:
Hmmm.... did your new studs fit in the old halo? Looks gorgeous. Love the bezel studs too. My studs are about the same size as your small ones (.88tcw). I need some halos and some larger studs! Congratulations!!!!
The old studs were flush in the halo since they were bezeled, whereas the new studs sit above the jackets. There is a very slight airline with the bezels. Took a picture so you can visualize (used my phone, sorry for the blur):

idstuds9.jpg

When I purchased the jackets, I had the option of going with 3-pointers and a smaller diameter, which probably fit the bezel studs perfectly. However, I did intend to upgrade my earrings at some point or to wear them with different colored stone earrings so I went with the 5-pointers. Also, my earlobes are huge, so I wanted the coverage the larger jackets provided :cheeky:

I think they are perfect! I love the larger stones, they have much more oomph! On my next trip to NYC, I will definitely be stopping by to see Yeuketiel and getting some.
 

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
119
Re: A new definition for

dtnyc|1463918949|4034727 said:
Love them all! As someone with 2 cartilage piercings (different spots than you though, I have my forward helix and conch pierced) I want to ask if your earring for your helix is a standard earring?
Yep it's a standard earring. Yekeutial mentioned he could have it shortened if it was too long, but it turned out to be the right length for me. I don't take it off when I go to bed and it hasn't bothered me yet, even if I sleep on that side.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,610
Wow, nice upgrade studs! :love: That's fabulous that they fit your jackets, too!!! I like their low baskets. Good to know they have them!
 

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 10, 2006
Messages
1,062
Gorgeous! Looks fantastic on you!

Now here's my question.....will you be selling the bezeled ones? :naughty:
 

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
119
jetmal said:
Gorgeous! Looks fantastic on you!

Now here's my question.....will you be selling the bezeled ones? :naughty:
I'm thinking about it, but the tentative plan is to keep them for my daughter to wear, but I haven't had her ears pierced yet. I'll give her a choice when she is older. Or I might just use them to change my solitaire e-ring into a 3 stone ring :twirl:
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,646
Wow! They are all beautiful! Congrats on your new little girl!!!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top