shape
carat
color
clarity

A naughty thread...

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
... for a jewelry forum. Is there anything, if you're being honest that bugs you about jewelry?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I HATE Maul jewelry and my husband mutes and/or fast forwards through kay/shane co/etc. ads compulsively because I start to argue with them. Like a Dog barking at the TV. Yes, I just compared myself to a dog.

I hate poor quality junk. HATE.

My aunt showed me a necklace she got on "sale" at Macy's. She paid over 2k for the thing. I could have had it made for her for 500 bucks. And actually I just saw a near identical version at our Costco (but, NICER) for $650.

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) How expensive mass produced poor quality chain store stuff is to the poor unsuspecting suckers that buy it.
2) How over the top expensive high end designer settings are.
3) Uncomfortable rings, and uncomfortable jewellery in general, if you can't wear it regularly whats the point of owning it....
4) People that show off fake or low quality diamonds as something that cost a fortune preaching to others that they are soooo wonderful...

I am sure there are a lot more but those are the first ones that come to mind.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But Gypsy, one man's trash is another man's treasure! :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top heavy rings that look great but spin around my finger, So annoying!

Also, I truly can't stand engagement rings/wedding sets with multiple stones in crappy illusion settings.
I have been seeing a lot of these lately. Why on earth would a woman be happy with a cheap engagement ring? Who wants all those prongs? Yuk and yuk.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1457841125|4004260 said:
But Gypsy, one man's trash is another man's treasure! :lol:

Trash is trash. :!: :!: :!:

=)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great idea for a thread!

What bothers me about jewelry? Quite a lot, I think. I'm quite analytical about it.

- Prices which are inflated many, many times above any approximation of fair market value. I cannot believe the prices of VCA non-precious materials like tiger-eye, and Tiffany prices such as over $3600 for 0.30 points of diamond weight. Its pricing like this that gives jewelry a bad name, and I actually find such crazy prices somewhat insulting to their customers' intelligence! (But I guess part of the point of super-deluxe brands is so that the ultra-rich have somewhere to spend their money, on things that most people don't or can't or wouldn't buy.)

- The price of settings. Again, thousands for very low diamond weight. It can be insane.

- Thick, clunky drop-earring settings. Why??? From the front, unless you're Dumbo with ears that sit at right-angles to your head, all you see is the metal setting and not the stone. There's a gorgeous pair of kyanite oval drops that I can't buy because their settings must be a mile thick. Delicate settings are so much more elegant.

- High solitaire settings. I think the stone is more elegant set lower.

- Thick, clunky eternity and half-eternity settings, so the band is much wider than the finger. It just looks wrong to me.

- Brian Gavin's Blue and Cape lines. They bug me. Maybe it's because the clever, slick marketing means a consumer could easily buy them without realizing that the market considers fluorescence and lower-color diamonds to be less valuable. While they may be very desirable to an individual customer, they're not as valuable on the re-sale market and I think those product lines fudge that reality. So you can get caught unless you know your stuff like we do. Actually, BGD in general annoys me a little - I think they're overpriced, their return window is short, and their upgrade policy is restrictive - you have to upgrade in a certain number of categories, and they deduct the original shipping cost to BGD from your credit! I love their Signature diamonds tho.

- Gemstone treatments. Everything is treated, treated, treated. So much so, you figure why bother?

- The way that bracelets, rings, and necklaces are always too big for me and when I get them sized, they're never small enough and I have to go back.

- Pandora. I hate that stuff. It's not pretty, looks cheap, and I can't understand why everyone loves it.

- Large hoop earrings. I just don't think they're all that tasteful and they just remind me of the eighties.

- Tiffany's Rubedo line. Please. It's junk metal.

- Basket settings on studs. Unless they're small, once again, all you see from the front is the setting, and the larger the stud, the truer this is.

- Unplated white gold. It looks scruffy to me, like dull bronze.

- Matte yellow gold. It should be gorgeous - all Greek/ancient world-like, but in reality I think it just looks dull and cheap.

- Citrine. That color reminds me of all the orange swirly glass doors in the Seventies, and the way that everything was orange and brown back then. I look at citrine, especially citrine set in yellow gold, and I want to break out the flares.

- Sellers who are not clear about synthetics. I've been "had" like this and then called a liar by the seller when I complained I wasn't informed at point of sale, more than once. It's enough to put you off jewelry for life.

- Young teenagers wearing enormous fake CZ studs, like 12mm across. It looks so cheap. If they wore an 8mm fake they'd still look large but much more real and a little more age-appropriate.

I'd better stop now. Hadn't realized so much about jewelry bugged me! Oh yes - designers overcharging for common, inexpensive stones like amethyst and blue topaz.

I'd really better stop now.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haloed everything. With a halo here and a halo there, everywhere a halo (sung to Old MacDonald Had A Farm melody);
huge stones on small fingers;
10 & 14 k gold;
branded pieces that look mundane;
wristwatches with huge faces;
hip hop bling, especially grillz;
cluster rings

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't like prongs/claws
Don't like high profile rings
Don't like the look of tiny stones on chubby fingers or the reverse that is massive stones on skinny fingers
MRB solitaries - boring (sorry)
Pearls - don't like anything that is peachy/brown/yellow/golden, and certain shapes (don't like long drops in a necklace for instance)

I would go OMG :shock: when I see some of pics of jewellery on here, however, one person's nightmare is another person's dream.

Chicken here would not comment negatively, therefore, I do not comment on jewellery items that I do not like.

DK :))

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Noticing the clunky, cheap jewelry a friend, who moved away and you haven't seen in years is wearing when you meet for lunch. And yet the problem is with you, because you realize in an odd kind of way it suits them.

Realizing there are so many permutations for buying a diamond that the task is impossible. Those who want the best bang for their buck and to please their love, to the point where they simply can't make a decision. To increase size go down in color, go down further in colour, go down in clarity - hang on would going down even further in clarity result in a very small advantage still. Does too much choice result in risking the project (which is costly), by not being able to see the wood for the trees. The goal's the package! It all makes me very glad that I only see those asking for help here - where there are people with expertise to help navigate buyers. Even so...

Stones, settings = expensive hobby. Even if I was a millionaire I don't like waste or "lazy" projects. Don't like "paralyzed" ones either.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds that are NOT Octavias!

I mean ... OMG, Like, ya know, some people will just wear ... anything!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Voldemort

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1457839600|4004238 said:
I HATE Maul jewelry and my husband mutes and/or fast forwards through kay/shane co/etc. ads compulsively because I start to argue with them. Like a Dog barking at the TV. Yes, I just compared myself to a dog.

I hate poor quality junk. HATE.

My aunt showed me a necklace she got on "sale" at Macy's. She paid over 2k for the thing. I could have had it made for her for 500 bucks. And actually I just saw a near identical version at our Costco (but, NICER) for $650.

:angry fire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Yes. Yes. Yesssssssss. :wavey:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1457839600|4004238 said:
I HATE Maul jewelry and my husband mutes and/or fast forwards through kay/shane co/etc. ads compulsively because I start to argue with them. Like a Dog barking at the TV.
:lol:

I dislike trendy branded "fine" jewelry that has little value but inflated prices.
I am sad that the top-end shops [Tiffany, Cartier, Chaumet] have such boring stuff [in my price range...a nice vintage custom Schlumberger ring would make me happy]. Basically, cookie-cutter bling that people wear for the brand name.

And closely related to the question, I am annoyed by B&M stores with their uneducated staff. I just had a gemologist at my favorite little B&M tell me that I get great prices online because the diamonds are clarity enhanced. [I guess that's a new category for GIA and AGS grading we haven't heard of].

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What really annoys me terribly is bling I want desperately but cannot afford. ;( ;( ;(

Like this lovely little ring.

20.jpeg

_36664.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Trendy colored metal charm jewellery--stuff with supposed "meaning" .

And home shows that sell these trendy products, like Tupperware. The cost is astronomical for pot metal or "junk".

cheers--Sharon

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1457874097|4004404 said:
What really annoys me terribly is bling I want desperately but cannot afford. ;( ;( ;(

Yes, Missy!!! You're absolutely right!!!

Why do I have to determine what I really want and limit it to just one or two (or three ...) items that I really love???

Can't I simply have it all???? :lol:

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
canuk-gal|1457883399|4004470 said:
HI:

Trendy colored metal charm jewellery--stuff with supposed "meaning" .

And home shows that sell these trendy products, like Tupperware. The cost is astronomical for pot metal or "junk".

cheers--Sharon

+1

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
missy|1457874097|4004404 said:

:lol: The reason I have been on PS for all these years is precisely because I love looking at other people's lovely jewelry and no one around here wears the kind of stuff you ladies (and gents) do. So yeah, not only can I not afford *that* ring, I couldn't bring myself to actually buy many of the gorgeous things I see here, even those that I could afford. I'm content to lurk for hours in Show Me The Bling.

I hate that sterling silver dangly earrings aren't made with a way to clip the back. I don't want to have to use that little plastic stopper. I used to always just let them hang in my ears without any backing, but suddenly I'm losing earrings. I think the piercing in one of my ears has gotten larger - in the last year I've lost 3 earrings which is 3 more than I lost (while wearing) in the last 10 years!

charleston1

Shiny_Rock
Pandora jewellery. I just don't get it. Around Mother's Day, Christmas, etc. people are lined out the door at our local mall. Ugh.

Mall jewellery. The part I hate the most is there is no choice in the mall between absolutely crap and overpriced; i.e. Tiffanys.

The average person gets suckered into buying the crap and they don't even know it they wasted money on junk. I wish there were stores in the mall priced in between with reasonable quality diamonds (especially for the average younger person who is buying an engagement ring),

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When people talk about diamond 'quality'. Highly included or low colour isn't a quality indicator. Cut, sure. Man made. Is an elm tree or a maple tree better quality? I've discussed that before though.

When people think the only good diamond is a D IF/VVS. I know people who have some of the poorest cut, unsparkly diamonds but they brag about them because they are high colour and clarity.

People who wear jewellery all the time, or think I'm less committed (??) to my husband because I don't wear my rings while taking out the trash. Seriously, people who wear their rings to the gym give me dirty looks when I tell them I take off my jewellery, clean it and set it aside. Like "*gasp!* I never take mine off, my husband and this ring mean too much to me!" Barf.

Illusion settings. I get that some people can't afford a large diamond. But trying to appear as if you have a bigger diamond is shady to me. But everyone is trying to impress someone else.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junky melee in settings.

Dirty rings, it kills me how many of my patients come in with gooked up diamonds.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1457900036|4004572 said:
Junky melee in settings.

Dirty rings, it kills me how many of my patients come in with gooked up diamonds.

I agree! A few days ago I was in a meeting and a gentleman near me was wearing a large man's ring. I caught the blingy shine, and naturally had to get a closer look.
I said something like "oh, look at that gorgeous diamond ring you have there" and upon closer inspection, it was a clustery thing with little greyish stones. Uggh!

And dirty diamonds are just sad.
I bought awesome 1 ct. diamond studs from a friend's mother. They were so packed up with gunk, it was unreal.

Another thing I just thought of, is people who wear jewelry till it breaks, or just wears out.
Prongs worn off, detail worn down, chains with links that are thin and about to give out. How about ring shanks so thin they crack?
Why do some people think gold jewelry is indestructible?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It bugs me that I don't have more jewelry than I do.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I can't stand seeing someone with a lovely piece of jewelry that is absolutely filthy! I am also quite annoyed to see jewelry coated with lotions or other when people get a manicure. Why don't they take their jewelry off? :confused:

Hearing the crazy comments made by some staff members at B & M or mall stores drives me up a wall. :wall:

I am also annoyed at myself because I can't make up my mind as to what I want for an updated wedding set. :doh:

:wavey:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1457904402|4004606 said:

Me too! :wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Chocolate Diamonds"... :wall: :knockout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1457853632|4004330 said:
Diamonds that are NOT Octavias!

I mean ... OMG, Like, ya know, some people will just wear ... anything!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Probably < 40 Octavia in the world... :wink2:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1457904402|4004606 said:

It bugs me that I don't have as much jewelry as you do. :lol:

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
1. Dirty diamonds. How hard is it to put the thing in some warm water and dishwashing liquid???
2. Uniformity. I live in a place where an engagement ring has to be a diamond solitaire. Period. Anything else is heresy. No originality. Needless to say, I went against the trend. I chose a ruby.
3. Big awful fakes. That really gets my goat. Lady, you don't work and your husband can't afford those huge studs. Besides, the cut is nothing like a diamond's. If you're going to wear fakes (guilty as charged over here), get small stones so that a) you can't tell at first glance that they're faker than a $3 bill because of the cut, and b) they look like something that might be within your realm of affordability. Don't insult my intelligence with 4 ctw studs.
4. Overzealous haloing. Work with the center stone because you love it, not because you want to make it look bigger.
5. People who need to sleep in their bling. Relax. You're still engaged, even if you take the ring off at night.

Deep breath....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Jambalaya

I'd really better stop now.[/quote]

Why stop now?...you are on a roll.. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results