shape
carat
color
clarity

A modified Harry Winston inspired setting by Mark T, how important is it for a a wedding band to fit

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MP

Shiny_Rock
Hey Guys,
I''ve been talking to Gary down at ERD for a number of weeks now working on a custom setting. I love the Harry Winston inspired Winnie setting that ERD has but the big problem with it is that it won''t allow for a wedding band to fit flush against it. Being on this site for a couple of months I keep seeing comments from ladies wishing that they could fit their wedding band flush up against their e-ring.

How important is that feature for an e-ring?

Here is a pic of the back of the original Winnie setting that won''t allow for a flush fit with a wedding band?

ERDring2.jpg

MP

Shiny_Rock
Here is the same setting but modified for a flush fit. What do you guys think?

Trisha_Ver3_29.jpg

MP

Shiny_Rock
Here is the all to important top shot of a completed Winnie setting with a cushion in it.

ERDring1.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
How important to sit flush? That really depends on what YOU like. My wedding band does not sit flush w/ my ring, and I would not have it any other way! I don''t personally love the flush look when we''re talking about two pave bands.

By the way, that is a fabulous ring! Great choice
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like a bit of a gap. I would probably go for the original Winnie where the band would not sit flush. But...it doesn''t matter what I think! What do you think? I would suggest that you go try on sets that are flush and sets that are not flush and see what *you* like best!

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
i dont think a little gap would hurt, my bands wont be sitting flush because of my surprise stones, i mean its all up to you and what you like, but i dont think that a little gap is bad at all. id prefer the original winnie over the modified one.

MP

Shiny_Rock
Well as far as what I like I think that it doesn''t really matter. However, I am trying to get my girlfriend the e-ring of her dreams. We have done some window shopping and she has been pretty adimant about a flush fit with the wedding band.

Likewise, I''ve heard more than one person on here wishing that there e-ring would allow for that. I was curious as to see what you guys thought of the modification and that issue.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2008 9:26:13 AM
Author: MP
Well as far as what I like I think that it doesn''t really matter. However, I am trying to get my girlfriend the e-ring of her dreams. We have done some window shopping and she has been pretty adimant about a flush fit with the wedding band.

Likewise, I''ve heard more than one person on here wishing that there e-ring would allow for that. I was curious as to see what you guys thought of the modification and that issue.
There''s your answer right there, you don''t even need to ask any of us.
2.gif

I like the modified version so the band would sit flush.

MP

Shiny_Rock
That''s very true Ellen. However there are other settings out there that will allow for a halo and a flush fit. I''m not a huge fan of the cathedral style, but I wanted to get your guys opinion on the modification. Essentially it will be the same ring from the top view which is the most notable view.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2008 9:26:13 AM

well for me personally, i prefer a gap especially with such delicate bands and pave, so that the wband shows. however, the highlighted part gives you your answer. i think this is one area where most, if not all, girls feel VERY strongly about whichever side they are on. getting a gap when they want flush can mean the difference between her loving and not liking or *gasp* hating her set. my mom likes flush, she won''t even consider something that doesn''t sit flush, and gaps just don''t look right to her. she can appreciate them, but on her finger she would hate it if they weren''t flush.

the modified looks good to my eye, and since you know that is what your gal wants, i say go that route for sure!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a question of preference. I prefer the non-flush look because I''m not a big fan of matchy-matchy. To me it seems more like the rings stand on their own. And as far as your setting, I personally prefer the first choice, the one that doesn''t allow for a flush fit, because the head is prettier.

But that''s just my humble opinion. And my personal sense of style. Good luck in your choice...
2.gif

MP

Shiny_Rock
Rube,
I tend to agree with you that from the side view the bottom halo looks better. I''m not 100% sure why she loves the flush fit so much. I have thought about simply ordering the original Winnie setting and hoping that she loves it enough to forget about the flush fit issue.

What do you guys think I should do?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2008 10:05:14 AM
Rube,
I tend to agree with you that from the side view the bottom halo looks better. I''m not 100% sure why she loves the flush fit so much. I have thought about simply ordering the original Winnie setting and hoping that she loves it enough to forget about the flush fit issue.

I think you should go with what she has voiced a strong preference for. This is for her, it''s about what she likes.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
isn''t there a way to modify the head so the donut isn''t so large? it really depends on whether or not your girlfriend minds a teeny, tiny gap. the modified flush-fit version doesn''t look as pretty in my opinion, although you''re right, the top view is the more important for most people. i prefer staring at the profile of most rings, because that''s what seems to catch my eye.

i think a smaller donut would help bridge the gap between the two rings while still providing the classic profile. a 1mm gap might not be very noticeable. my wedding set is flush-fit, but during the course of a day, they tend to move around (especially since i fiddle with them), so a gap is occasionally seen.

it really depends on your girlfriend though. i used to be obsessed with flush fit rings, but now i find a slight gap to be charming. maybe you should have her try on some rings and see how they look with or without a tiny gap?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2008 10:26:30 AM
Author: Ellen

Rube,

I think you should go with what she has voiced a strong preference for. This is for her, it''s about what she likes.

ditto!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2008 10:39:27 AM
Author: erica k
isn''t there a way to modify the head so the donut isn''t so large? it really depends on whether or not your girlfriend minds a teeny, tiny gap. the modified flush-fit version doesn''t look as pretty in my opinion, although you''re right, the top view is the more important for most people. i prefer staring at the profile of most rings, because that''s what seems to catch my eye.

i think a smaller donut would help bridge the gap between the two rings while still providing the classic profile. a 1mm gap might not be very noticeable. my wedding set is flush-fit, but during the course of a day, they tend to move around (especially since i fiddle with them), so a gap is occasionally seen.

it really depends on your girlfriend though. i used to be obsessed with flush fit rings, but now i find a slight gap to be charming. maybe you should have her try on some rings and see how they look with or without a tiny gap?
I ditto what erica said here... I too used to be really obsessed with flush fit but realized after trying some on, that I liked the little gap since the only way to get a flush fit with my emerald cut stones was to bend the wedding band or augment the e-ring in ways I didn''t like. But I couldn''t have known that without trying some on. Can you maybe have her try on some sets? I agree with the other posters, though, you should get her what she has said she wants, no matter what!

Also like Erica, I like the profile of my rings to look great because when I look at my own hand I really notice the profile of my ring. But I''m not wild about the profile of the modified ring. For me (just me, your gf may feel different, this is purely a personal preference/style issue) I don''t like the head to look like it is floating above the shank, which the modified version kinda looks like, I prefer the head to flow from the shank and look more connected to it, like the original version. Many flush fit settings with super-thin bands seem to have that floating-head look. Do you know if your gf has any type of preference about the profile of her ring or about the head flowing vs. sitting on top of the shank?

I guess my question boils down to whether your gf is a little perferctionistic about things and has strong esthetic opinions about her ring (like me
2.gif
) or whether she is a little more easygoing? If she''s easygoing and all she really cares about is a lovely flush-fit ring from her man, then that''s the only consideration you need to take into account: flush-fit. If she is more particular, then I think that you may need to spend a little more time with her in ring shops or on PS looking at pictures and getting a better feel for her tastes! Of course, that could ruin the surprise a little
23.gif
, but I think you could gather that information without showing her anything like what you are actually considering, and it might spare some disappintment in the future!

I wish you the best! Whatever you choose, the proposal will be a wonderful moment for you both!

DD
35.gif

MP

Shiny_Rock
Erica,
I really like your idea about making the donut at the bottom of the ring smaller to make it so the gap isn't too large from the e-ring. I am definitely going to run that idea by Gary to see what he thinks.

BTW - I just sent the wire transfer for the down payment on the ring so we can start some serious design work on it. It's now a reality and not just a thought.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rube,

Ditto!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2008 11:29:16 AM
Erica,
I really like your idea about making the donut at the bottom of the ring smaller to make it so the gap isn''t too large from the e-ring. I am definitely going to run that idea by Gary to see what he thinks.

BTW - I just sent the wire transfer for the down payment on the ring so we can start some serious design work on it. It''s now a reality and not just a thought.
MP, she will love it, and I bet they can make the donut a little smaller for you too!

DD
35.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2008 10:47:59 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Rube,

ditto!!!
thritto!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I have to thritto the ladies who say 'get her what she says she adamantly wants'.

There are some ladies who are laid back and will adapt or 'get used to' a look once they have it as Dreamer D points out. I'm fairly laid back, and I'm the type to wear something for a while to see if I can get used to the look.

However.....I'm also not *adamant* about things. If she's adamant about it, she's probably more like my tractor-riding friend, who I can tell you right now does not 'get used' to anything. In fact, she focuses on that thing that slightly disturbs her to the point where she can't get past it. She is not the type to 'get used to' a look.

She's smart enough to acknowledge that's how she works, so she sticks to things that fit flush.

By your choice of adjective (she's adamant), I'd guess your gal falls into the same subset that my tractor-friend does, and I'd listen to that and get her what she went out of her way to tell you she wants.....a flush-fit setting.
1.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2008 11:41:12 AM
Author: Lorelei

Rube,

Ditto!
Ditto. I will add my 2 cents. I also really prefer a flush fit. Although, I could stand a bit of a gap, but what I really detest is a ''pivot point'', if you know what I mean. For example, think of a 6 prong vs. 4 prong - if the 6 prongs are situated such that there''s a prong at 6 o''clock, if you know what I mean - then that prong usually acts as a pivot point, such that the wedding band would tilt a bit (or really the e-ring is tilting re: the wedding ring), which would drive me crazy. If, for example, there are 4 prongs, (in their more typical configuration where prongs are at about 2, 4, 8 and 10 o''clock ), the 2 bottom prongs might push the wedding ring away, leaving a slight gap, but it''s an even gap, which doesn''t bother me nearly so much. In your case, if there''s a donut, could the donut be ''flattened'' a bit? Then the e-ring wouldn''t tilt, at least. (The donut if totally round will do the "pivot point" thing.) Don''t know if that makes any sense, or what your girl would think, but anyway.....

I will say that if she really wants flush I''d try my best to get flush.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2008 12:03:22 PM
Author: Allison D.
Honestly, I have to thritto the ladies who say ''get her what she says she adamantly wants''.

There are some ladies who are laid back and will adapt or ''get used to'' a look once they have it as Dreamer D points out. I''m fairly laid back, and I''m the type to wear something for a while to see if I can get used to the look.

However.....I''m also not *adamant* about things. If she''s adamant about it, she''s probably more like my tractor-riding friend, who I can tell you right now does not ''get used'' to anything. In fact, she focuses on that thing that slightly disturbs her to the point where she can''t get past it. She is not the type to ''get used to'' a look.

She''s smart enough to acknowledge that''s how she works, so she sticks to things that fit flush.

By your choice of adjective (she''s adamant), I''d guess your gal falls into the same subset that my tractor-friend does, and I''d listen to that and get her what she went out of her way to tell you she wants.....a flush-fit setting.
1.gif
Ditto!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Go with what your girl wants but make sure to COME BACK AND POST LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!!
31.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2008 11:29:16 AM
Erica,
I really like your idea about making the donut at the bottom of the ring smaller to make it so the gap isn''t too large from the e-ring. I am definitely going to run that idea by Gary to see what he thinks.

BTW - I just sent the wire transfer for the down payment on the ring so we can start some serious design work on it. It''s now a reality and not just a thought.
yay!
36.gif
i''m so excited for you!

some have said it better than i did ..... and i still think that although some can get used to a gap, it''s a very RISKY thing to buy her a ring with the assumption she will change her preference. the gap issue, to my mind, falls into one of those categories of ''either love it or hate it'' with very few in-betweeners, and since SHE''S not the one deciding whether or not she might learn to like it, i say stick to what she is ''adamant'' she already loves!! unless, of course, you can find out for sure if she can be flexible on the issue....

MP

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the input guys. I''m not 100% sure that she would oppose a non-flush fit or gap if it was a small one. The only reason I know about the flush issue was that she tried a couple of princess cut rings with large halos around them that kept the wedding band from even coming under the stone.

The one thing that I''m sacrificing with going with the flush fit is the width of the band. The Winnie setting with a donut on the bottom of the halo has a 2mm wide band thickness. Going with no donut makes it necessary to engineer the bad to be 2.5mm wide to support the head.

Is that a noticeable size difference?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not that big of a difference. 2.5 is still really thin.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i agree with old fashioned girl that not all gaps are the same. that''s why it''s important for your girlfriend to know what she likes. it sounds like she is ok with trying on rings, since you''ve already done some window-shopping with her. if i had only tried on low-set princess cuts with halos before i got engaged, i would probably be adamant about a flush-fit setting. there are definitely people who want a flush-fit set, no matter what, but there are others who are willing to consider different types of gaps.

for instance, i tried on a 2ct RB with pear sides at Tiffany and couldn''t stand the way it looked with my shared-prong eternity band. but i really liked the gap between a 2ct Lucida and my band.

you should absolutely get your girlfriend what she wants, but i think it''s important that she''s looked at enough rings to have a good sense of what she''s happiest with. the more i''ve learned about ring designs, the more open i am to styles that i never would have considered before i got engaged. at the same time, i''ve never liked huge, uneven gaps (with that pivot point that old fashioned girl mentions), and i doubt my tastes will change in that matter.

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
I agree w/ everyone who said to get her what she told you she prefers. The only exception to that rule would be if the wedding band would have to be "notched" somehow in order to make it fit flush because she may prefer a non-flush fit to the look of a wedding band that has a visible notch in it when worn alone. That would definitely be cause to re-visit the subject, since it changes the look of the band pretty drastically.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Give her the ring of HER dreams. Happy wife = a happy life
2.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results