shape
carat
color
clarity

"A man's baby"

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I just had to post about the curious phenomenon I have experienced since having baby Connor 3 and a half months ago. The only people who stop to compliment him are men. Old men, young men, black men, white men, a biker, a businessman, men with kids/grandkids and without. It's just so weird, because not a single woman has stopped me to comment on him, but men have stopped me on the street, in restaurants and while shopping to comment on how cute they think he is.

It's so funny to me because my older son, Andrew, was definitely the more "tradionallly beautiful" baby. He had pale pink skin, curly blond hair, and turquoise blue eyes. I was constantly getting stopped by women who thought his eyes and features were so striking. Also, I couldn't bear to cut those gorgeous blond curls, so everyone thought he was a girl until he turned 3 - even though I would always dress him in "boy" colors, with trucks & footballs and things on the clothes.

I just think it's so funny that my huge, fat, burly, dark, greasy & hairy baby Connor is so attractice to men - I figure that he must be "a man's baby," since he's so masculine looking, as opposed to his delicate older brother. Despite his hairiness issues, he does have a killer smile. (Seriously, this baby has black hair growing on his earlobes and down his back - we think it's hilariously appropriate that we named him Connor, which means "kin of wolves.") :D

Has anyone else experienced a similar phenomenon, especially if you have two kids who look very different from each other? I guess I just never realized that men liked babies so much - who knew?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Oops, I forgot to post a pic - here are the two of them together:

a&c14wk.jpg

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a comment other than he looks so much older than 3.5 months! Maybe it's bc he has so much hair??? I still think he's very cute, but I must admit that I have a preference for dark haired babies rather than blondes (maybe bc I have dark hair myself).

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Lanie said:
I don't have a comment other than he looks so much older than 3.5 months! Maybe it's bc he has so much hair??? I still think he's very cute, but I must admit that I have a preference for dark haired babies rather than blondes (maybe bc I have dark hair myself).

It's funny you mention that, because I always said that I wanted a fat baby with black hair (DH & I are both olive-skinned with dark hair). When my first son was born, all skinny and blond, I was like, "What?" So, I am delighted with my fat little dark guy now. Of course I think they're both gorgeous, just very different ...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think part of it could be that he really looks like a little man. His facial features don't read "baby" to me and I LOVE it! I think he is the cutest little guy, I want to snuggle him!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk said:
I think part of it could be that he really looks like a little man. His facial features don't read "baby" to me and I LOVE it! I think he is the cutest little guy, I want to snuggle him!

Ditto-he looks like a little person! They're both adorable, though. Personally I absolutely love blue eyed babies (and men! :bigsmile:), probably because I have brown eyes.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, Vesper, your babies are gorgeous! I love your little man's baby, he's a beauty!

That's a really interesting observation you've made. I'm going to pay more attention to which babies I find especially attractive.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I'm a sucker for baby boys. I've always wanted boys (which I'm convinced means I'll have only girls) and I'm especially a sucker for boys with mops of dark hair on their heads. I'm smitten with Conner, he is absolutely adorable. I love the expression on his face, he looks like a laid back baby. Adorable!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
vesper- I definitely think Connor is more manly than most somewhat androgynous infants. He is adorable :love: Genetics are so interesting, though. You've definitely produced two pretty disparate little men.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Tee hee. He really is a "manly" baby! I get why random men are drawn to him! They probably have the urge to stop what they're doing (going to work, riding their bicycle, etc.) to get out the toolbox or the football and do man things with Connor! Here, little guy, hold this wrench . . .

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
It's because he looks like a little "Bruiser" baby!

He's so cute, but you're right! He's got a wise face, and he looks like... I don't know, a little dude!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
phoenixgirl said:
Tee hee. He really is a "manly" baby! I get why random men are drawn to him! They probably have the urge to stop what they're doing (going to work, riding their bicycle, etc.) to get out the toolbox or the football and do man things with Connor! Here, little guy, hold this wrench . . .

PG, LOL, that must be it! THey must want to do manly activities with him!

It's just so funny to me because in my previous experience it was always women who would come over to look at my baby, but all the time men are coming over to compliment Connor. So strange ...

NEL, you just may get your boys - I wanted all boys, and I got them!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vesper, you are hysterical. When I read where you wrote "hairy baby", I thought uh-oh, but then I scrolled down to the picture of your two kids and they're both beautiful!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had started a reply last night and got interrupted. I think your kids are gorgeous, the both of them! London is lighter/fairer, and Trapper is darker..Trapper gets more attention than London does. Your Connor reminds me a lot of my Trapper. Dark and hairy haha! When he was born we joked that he was a bit gorilla-ish w/all the dark hair down his arms/shoulders/back. He's a burly dude-I think men just are drawn to that or something? Men didn't really comment on London, but women did. I figured it was b/c she's a girl, but maybe like you say it's the lighter hair/eyes, more delicate features??

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Vesper, your boys are adorable!! :))

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Interesting! My baby was admired by more men than women too. Plus, she didn't really like women, but with men, she was all smiles and interaction. Not sure if that was cause or effect. She also looked older and had a mop of dark hair.

I think there's a research grant in here somewhere...

Jen

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Isn't that interesting. I wonder if it has something to do with it being your 2nd and feeling a bit more relaxed therefore more approachable? Because, I get a lot of men coming up and commenting on E as well. Both of your boys are cuties, but so cool how they can look so different, mine are practically clones of each other!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Your little man remind me this boy,. He got such a cool attitude :D

eta. sorry it upload so big ;-)

The%20Hangover.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
It's an interesting idea! I've noticed more women than men interact with Henry, but I assumed it was because more women interact with babies in general than men do.

You've got two beautiful boys, though! I think it's cool that they got such different parts of you and your husband's families.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vesper,

Could it be that you are just an ultra hot mama and they're trying to strike up conversation with YOU? :bigsmile:

Your children are beautiful! My first son didn't have hair like that until he was 15.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
gaby06 said:
Your little man remind me this boy,. He got such a cool attitude :D

eta. sorry it upload so big ;-)

Gaby, that pic is so funny! I loved that movie - we will have to watch it again to see the baby. You are right, though, he does resemble baby Connor!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
House Cat said:
Vesper,

Could it be that you are just an ultra hot mama and they're trying to strike up conversation with YOU? :bigsmile:

Your children are beautiful! My first son didn't have hair like that until he was 15.

House Cat, I think I love you. I guess I didn't think of that, but I can't believe it's true because usually when I'm out & about with the little ones I'm in yoga pants, no makeup & a ponytail. It's funny that you mention that though, because I used to get a lot of male attention before I had Andrew, my first son. I remember breaking down & crying to my DH about 3 months after he was born that "I feel so yucky because no one looks at me or hits on me anymore because I still have the baby weight." DH replied, "No one is hitting on you because you have a baby with you all the time." :lol: I figured that he was right, but maybe there's something extra-appealing about haggard-looking slightly chubby women toting around 2 kids :tongue:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness vesper, you and your DH certainly make gorgeous kidlies!! :love: I just adore that mop of dark hair, and Andrew is too cute for words. Love the 'hairy baby' comment :bigsmile:

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's because Andrew looks angelic while Connor looks mischievous. Me personally, I love a baby that looks like he's plotting how to build a ladder to get the cookies off the top of the fridge. :devil:

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Both of your boys are dolls, but I'm a sucker for dark hair. I think he's a cute little man. I can see him dressed like an older man.

Both of my kids are blue eyed and blond, and I never thought about it, but women always comment on them. Men not so much.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not fair, vesper! You have to put a picture of Andrew as a baby up there! I've seen some! He was round and angelic! Now he's a lanky young man!

(Connor is gorgeous, btw. Don't let me near him. I might eat him up!) At any rate, post a picture of Andrew as a baby so everybody can compare apples to apples, woman!!! He was a show-stopper, too!

Deb
:read:

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
Not fair, vesper! You have to put a picture of Andrew as a baby up there! I've seen some! He was round and angelic! Now he's a lanky young man!

(Connor is gorgeous, btw. Don't let me near him. I might eat him up!) At any rate, post a picture of Andrew as a baby so everybody can compare apples to apples, woman!!! He was a show-stopper, too!

Deb
:read:

Aww, thanks Deb! I need to dig out that baby pic of Andrew I posted before - he was so cute at that age!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG I loved the baby in Hangover!!! I totally wanted to squish his cute little cheeks!

Vesper, I totally agree that C looks like a man's man or man's baby!! Even chillin out there he's like 'hey man what's up, toss me a beer'..!!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha Mara! He totally looks like that! "Hey man, I'm right here next to the cooler so I'll grab you one. Miller Light okay?"

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara said:
OMG I loved the baby in Hangover!!! I totally wanted to squish his cute little cheeks!

Vesper, I totally agree that C looks like a man's man or man's baby!! Even chillin out there he's like 'hey man what's up, toss me a beer'..!!

Not at the table Carlos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results