shape
carat
color
clarity

A long battle with this ring... HELP PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

futuremrstildsley

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I''m a newbie here (first post!), but I''ve been lurking for quite some time, and judging from all I''ve read here, I figured you all were the best people to ask for an opinion on my radiant diamond. Just got engaged in July ''09 (!!!), but I''ve been having so much trouble with my diamond since about September. For your sake, I will try to keep my involved story as short and sweet as possible, so here it goes!:

First off, let me say that we purchased the ring more out of desperation than anything. We could not find a radiant diamond at several jewelers, so we ended up getting this one from The Jewelery Exchange -- not the most reputable place, but it was purchased with my fiance''s promise to upgrade when we could. My diamond was beautiful from July-September and sparkled like no tomorrow! However, shortly thereafter, all sorts of problems started occurring. My diamond is now cloudy almost 100% of the time and has completely lost its sparkle. It appears frosted and white now, and I have taken it back to get professionally cleaned, and it stays clean for a day or two, and is right back to its cloudy state.

I went back to the Jewelery Exchange several times, only to be rudely brushed off and told that it was my fault and that ''diamonds don''t change'' and it must be something that I am doing to it that is causing all these problems (Superb customer service, huh?) I was told that it had to have been a combination of my makeup, hairspray, lotion, etc, that is causing all the cloudiness. So, I did a trial run and did not use those products at all, or when I did, I removed my ring while I used them and thoroughly washed my hands before putting my ring back on. This did not help at all. I bought a sonic cleaner which hasn''t helped it either. I''ve tried tons of at-home cleaning techniques and absolutely nothing helps. I am starting to wonder if this is even a real diamond on my finger to begin with, or if it was swapped sometime during the process. My fiance is extremely upset over the situation, and I''ve found myself hiding my ring more than showing it off, which is a disheartening and very upsetting feeling.

So, I guess my question is if anyone knows what could possible cause this clouding, or if I even have a good diamond on my hand. We are not diamond experts or highly diamond educated and truly (read: naively) believed we were getting a good deal. The diamond did come with a EGL USA mini certificate and a Universal Gemological Services mini appraisal. I will post the info below along with a couple of pictures for your consideration. I would really REALLY appreciate any opinions/thoughts that you all have on this matter. We will, of course, be taking it soon to a reputable jeweler to have it all sorted out, but I''d like some sort of idea on what I''m dealing with before we get to that point.

THANK YOU ALL SO SO SO much - any help would be most appreciated!

Weight: .97 CT
Shape: CUT COR. RECT. MOD. BRILL.
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Measurements: 5.85 x 4.84 x 3.55 mm
Depth: 73.3%
Table: 71%
Crown: 10.5%
Pavilion: 56.2%
Crown Angle: 34.6°
Pavilion Angle: N/A
Girdle: THICK POLISHED
Polish: GOOD
Symmetry: GOOD
Fluorescence: NONE
Culet: NONE
Cut Grade: N/A
Comments: Girdle inscribed "EGL US 51312824D".
UGS Appraisal Value: N/A (although on the separate UGS mini appraisal, it states $7,150)

And a picture attached. (Sorry I do not have any professional ones, these are just the ones I took when I got engaged!)

futuremrstring.jpg

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry to hear what you are going through.

I'm sure someone here will be able to offer an opinion.

Congrats on your engagement and good luck with your situation!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d take it to an appraiser, and INDEPENDANT (this is key, even if I can''t spell) appraiser. Up at the top of your screen you will see the pull down menus, under Resources will be a link to some appraisers. Find one in your area and then make an appointment. They would be the best to advise you on your stone.

Congratulations on the engagement and good luck!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Please follow Gypsy's advice. An independent appraiser does not sell diamonds or other jewelry. They have no agenda to sell you another stone. If you don't have a local appraiser, you can work with one long distance. What happened to your diamond doesn't sound right, but you need a professional to evaluate it. Please let us know what happens.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
So the first photo is your stone when it was beautiful and sparkly? Can you post a close-up of your stone now?

Could it have been clarity enhanced?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 7:06:15 PM
Author:futuremrstildsley
Hello all!

I'm a newbie here (first post!), but I've been lurking for quite some time, and judging from all I've read here, I figured you all were the best people to ask for an opinion on my radiant diamond. Just got engaged in July '09 (!!!), but I've been having so much trouble with my diamond since about September. For your sake, I will try to keep my involved story as short and sweet as possible, so here it goes!:

First off, let me say that we purchased the ring more out of desperation than anything. We could not find a radiant diamond at several jewelers, so we ended up getting this one from The Jewelery Exchange -- not the most reputable place, but it was purchased with my fiance's promise to upgrade when we could. My diamond was beautiful from July-September and sparkled like no tomorrow! However, shortly thereafter, all sorts of problems started occurring. My diamond is now cloudy almost 100% of the time and has completely lost its sparkle. It appears frosted and white now, and I have taken it back to get professionally cleaned, and it stays clean for a day or two, and is right back to its cloudy state.

I went back to the Jewelery Exchange several times, only to be rudely brushed off and told that it was my fault and that 'diamonds don't change' and it must be something that I am doing to it that is causing all these problems (Superb customer service, huh?) I was told that it had to have been a combination of my makeup, hairspray, lotion, etc, that is causing all the cloudiness. So, I did a trial run and did not use those products at all, or when I did, I removed my ring while I used them and thoroughly washed my hands before putting my ring back on. This did not help at all. I bought a sonic cleaner which hasn't helped it either. I've tried tons of at-home cleaning techniques and absolutely nothing helps. I am starting to wonder if this is even a real diamond on my finger to begin with, or if it was swapped sometime during the process. My fiance is extremely upset over the situation, and I've found myself hiding my ring more than showing it off, which is a disheartening and very upsetting feeling.

So, I guess my question is if anyone knows what could possible cause this clouding, or if I even have a good diamond on my hand. We are not diamond experts or highly diamond educated and truly (read: naively) believed we were getting a good deal. The diamond did come with a EGL USA mini certificate and a Universal Gemological Services mini appraisal. I will post the info below along with a couple of pictures for your consideration. I would really REALLY appreciate any opinions/thoughts that you all have on this matter. We will, of course, be taking it soon to a reputable jeweler to have it all sorted out, but I'd like some sort of idea on what I'm dealing with before we get to that point.

THANK YOU ALL SO SO SO much - any help would be most appreciated!

Weight: .97 CT
Shape: CUT COR. RECT. MOD. BRILL.
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Measurements: 5.85 x 4.84 x 3.55 mm
Depth: 73.3%
Table: 71%
Crown: 10.5%
Pavilion: 56.2%
Crown Angle: 34.6°
Pavilion Angle: N/A
Girdle: THICK POLISHED
Polish: GOOD
Symmetry: GOOD
Fluorescence: NONE
Culet: NONE
Cut Grade: N/A
Comments: Girdle inscribed 'EGL US 51312824D'.
UGS Appraisal Value: N/A (although on the separate UGS mini appraisal, it states $7,150)

And a picture attached. (Sorry I do not have any professional ones, these are just the ones I took when I got engaged!)
Ditto - you need an independent appraisal.

EGL will grade enhanced diamonds. The highlighted part is what's strange - unless they're refilling compound that keeps breaking down every time you take it in to be cleaned, or it's getting covered in sprays/lotion/soap scum and you're missing it, what is causing this..?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - get it appraised.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear about your ring troubles FuturemrsT!

I wonder if your setting is formed in such a way that it traps stuff under the diamond easily?

If your setting doesn''t allow your diamond to be cleaned underneath very easily maybe it could be reset into an easier to clean setting?

I''m sure an appraiser would be able to comment on this as well.

I hope you figure out what the problem is !

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it looks good when it is cleaned professionally, then it must be getting dirty from wear. I simply cannot think of any other explanation.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi MrsT and welcome!

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles....I would ditto everyone else that an independant appraiser should be your first port of call, Here is the appraiser tool.

Also do you know what inclusions are making the clarity grade such as feathers, clouds etc? These are just my thoughts, if clouds, it is possible that these could be causing the effect you are seeing, and the effect is worse when the stone is dirty. But this is speculation on my part and an appraiser will be able to give you proper advice.

I was wondering about clarity enhancement too but it doesn't sound like it as the stone improves once it has been cleaned...How often are you cleaning it yourself MrsT? A daily cleaning isn't too much or cleaning after each time it has been worn, diamonds are grease and muck magnets!

Let us know how you get on but consulting an appraiser would be the first thing to do.

Noreen

Rough_Rock

Get some isopropyl alcohol and while you’re getting ready in the morning place the head/stone in a little tray/bowl of the solution.

I think this will help you until you upgrade.

Noreen

Rough_Rock

Use a baby tooth brush with the isopropyl alcohol. The isopropyl alcohol is available at CVS/wallmart in the USA and Booths and similar stores in Europe.

I believe this will resolve your problem, let us know if it does!

futuremrstildsley

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I really and truly appreciate it! We''ve made an appointment with one of the appraisers we found through Pricescope, so I''ll be sure to let you all know what happens!

HopeDream: Yes, that was my first thought about the setting. This is going to be my first question for the appraiser, because I''d obviously love to keep my diamond and just switch settings. Hopefully this will be the answer!

Noreen: Thanks for the great suggestion w/ the alcohol. Tried it yesterday, and it made the edges of my stone sparkle like mad, but the inside unfortunately stayed cloudy.
33.gif

Thanks again to everyone!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 10:31:46 AM
Author: futuremrstildsley
Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I really and truly appreciate it! We''ve made an appointment with one of the appraisers we found through Pricescope, so I''ll be sure to let you all know what happens!

HopeDream: Yes, that was my first thought about the setting. This is going to be my first question for the appraiser, because I''d obviously love to keep my diamond and just switch settings. Hopefully this will be the answer!

Noreen: Thanks for the great suggestion w/ the alcohol. Tried it yesterday, and it made the edges of my stone sparkle like mad, but the inside unfortunately stayed cloudy.
33.gif

Thanks again to everyone!
1.gif
Thanks MrsT, will be interested to see what happens.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry you are going through this. I was suspecting clarity enhancement as well, especially if you tried the alcohol and got the edges to look clear and crisp. If it turns out to be an enhanced stone, did you notice if it was indicated anywhere on any of the paperwork that there was possible enhancement (I don''t know much about EGL certifications)? Also, does the store have some sort of disclaimer that says they may possibly sell enhanced stones? Sounds like the way treated you speaks volumes about the type of integrity they hold in their products.

I hope there is a way to resolve this so that you are happy with your ring.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Definitely get the appraisal. However, on another note, as an SI2 it might have inclusions that make it look dirty more easily. I once had a not very nice pear-shaped diamond that was only really sparkly when ultra clean. When it got the least bit dirty it looked really dull rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results