clarity

A little feedback....

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1312477492|2984109 said:
Not okay.

Just WRONG.

:nono:

I agree, especially due to the fact that they are now on honeymoon!! How tacky and rude of them. They should have just invited people back to their house and done some snacks if they couldn't afford dinner for everyone.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
This is right up there with a wedding I heard about a few months ago where the couple invited a bunch of the groom's friends, but NONE OF THEIR WIVES. I was FLOORED to hear about this. All I could do was squeak (literally, squeak) out a response along the lines of, "I hope the husbands have fun!"

There were SO MANY other ways to go about this celebrating that didn't involve inviting friends and family to a formal dinner immediately following the wedding ceremony.

Times are tough for everyone, not just the married couple. That was inconsiderate, to absolutely sugar coat it, and TOTALLY DAMN EFFING BRAZEN, if you ask me.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well, my SIL once went to a wedding at the Ritz Carleton. She was asked to pay for a portion of the cost (I think 30$) and she bought a gift. She didn't think it was rude, because it was stated on the invitation. What she did consider rude, was that the couple had invited too many people and she didn't end up being served a meal.

Perhaps (I'm only wondering) if it was actually known by the guests, ie. it was someone's job to spread the word around, and it failed to get to you...like how the bridesmaid is supposed to inform people informally about where the bride registered.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
allycat0303|1314373770|3000307 said:
Well, my SIL once went to a wedding at the Ritz Carleton. She was asked to pay for a portion of the cost (I think 30$) and she bought a gift. She didn't think it was rude, because it was stated on the invitation. What she did consider rude, was that the couple had invited too many people and she didn't end up being served a meal.

O.M.G. :nono:

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Wow... there are so many other things that they could have done (cake & punch, potluck, backyard BBQ, cut down the guest list...)! Or at least warned you! That is pretty rude (if you invite people over to your house, do you present them with a bill for the food they'll eat?).

I'm really curious about how in the world they came up with the decision to do it this way.

The most justifiable scenario I can think of, is them planning to foot the bill initially, booking the place, sending the invites, booking/paying for their honeymoon, then somehow having a change in finances where they would no longer be able to afford the dinner...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
vsc|1314375017|3000327 said:
The most justifiable scenario I can think of, is them planning to foot the bill initially, booking the place, sending the invites, booking/paying for their honeymoon, then somehow having a change in finances where they would no longer be able to afford the dinner...

Agreed. And imagine if they would have personally contacted people and told them this...people would have shown up and been happy to pay.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
First thing I thought when I read that they are honeymooning in Mexico?

Mother effers.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RUDE!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
This is appauling. There IS an acceptable way to have guest pay for their meals...you say in the invitation "in lieu of a gift please bring a dish to share". I know mention of a gift is a no no but the several potluck weddings I have been to were clearly lighthearted casual affairs where people can say stuff like that to eachother.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is one of the rudest things I have heard. My husband and I eloped, and when we got back we threw basically a barbeque, where we grilled shrimp on the grill and got appetizers from one of my favorite restaurants, and had beer, and told everyone "no gifts please". It was perfect because we didn't want to spend the kind of money associated with a formal wedding but still got to celebrate with our friends. If you are inviting someone, you are the host and the person is the guest. There should be no ambiguity about it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I might have refrained.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results