shape
carat
color
clarity

A little change in plans... inspiration needed!

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys!

So I posted here sort of recently about the stone I got for my birthday, an 8x6ish blue zircon from Dana. It makes me happy.

naturallight2.jpg

I bought this to make a family pendant, it's my son's birthstone, and I wanted to do something like this (confection10's ring):

_33662.jpg

with little rubies at the compass points (husband's birthstone) and topaz in between (my birthstone).

So that seemed simple enough, and I'd started talking to vendors (diamondzone and a local guy) about costs and when I'll be able to move forward. But then came new year's day. A crazy day which involved driving home from visiting family, the brakes failing on the truck, confusion, chaos, and craziness, only to get home and have a positive pregnancy test.

This pendant is really about the least of my concerns right now but I can't really let this news out everywhere yet (it's WAAAAAAY early), and thinking about jewelry is a lot more fun than thinking about, like, where on earth we're going to put a baby and how I'm going to manage grocery shopping with two. Either way, the due date is early September (and worth waiting to purchase anything since they can come early, LOL), which means sapphire.

So PSers, my question - should I continue as planned and then eventually make a second one for the second child? Or should I figure out a new design that incorporates both? I lean the second way because it seems fair, like if I wear one necklace and not the other it's favoritism or something. Is it possible to combine zircon with sapphire in a way that makes both look beautiful, where the stones complement each other properly?

Does anyone have any inspiration or pictures or ideas for a piece that incorporates two 8x6ish stones? I like more traditional, symmetrical pieces and am having difficulty imagining anything.

(I might just stick to the original idea, then make an identical one for the little newb. assuming everything goes ok since it's really WAY WAY early to be thinking about this as a certainty, LOL)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, congrats on the (hopeful!) new edition to your family! That is very exciting!

I would suggest a bypass ring (look at Acinom's gorgeous one for some inspiration). I was thinking that you could do a pink or yellow sapphire instead of blue--that way the blue/pink or blue/yellow would have a nice contrast. The other option is to find a lighter blue sapphire so you have a dark/light blue. I posted some color inspiration (ignore the ring shank styles since those aren't my favorite, but the colors are a good idea). Hope this helps!!!
il_214x170.763059730_moug.jpg estate-bulgari-bypass-ring-pink-blue-sapphire.jpg victoria-wieck-fluorite-and-white-topaz-bypass-ring-d-20150206151343003~400617.jpg
Ring-1071.0L.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! How exciting for you.

I have noticed you have beautiful hands. A set of stacking rings would be really nice. Or indeed a bypass ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the new pregnancy. :appl: I would keep to the original idea. Then when #1 grows up, it can be passed down to him/her. For the second baby, the same applies but the ring need not be identical.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too thought of a by-pass ring with 2 different CSs, and shelf the idea of setting the blue zircon for now.

And good luck!

DK :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, how exciting for you - congratulations!

As to the design, I would definitely split up the projects, otherwise it might get too busy/complicated.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1451933892|3970503 said:
Awww, how exciting for you - congratulations!

As to the design, I would definitely split up the projects, otherwise it might get too busy/complicated.

Do you think it would be too busy as a pendant?

I found this while looking for "toi et moi" designs and I feel like something like this might work (vertical, not tilted):

pendant_inspiration1.jpg

(obviously not exactly like this but I like it as a starting point, maybe)

Then again, the idea of making individual pieces that I can hand down is really nice too. I have a lot of time to mull this over, if it comes a little early I could be searching for peridot instead of sapphire, LOL, which would make a big difference in this whole thing

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats on your news! :appl:

Personally, I'd move forward with your original plans for the zircon. I think two separate ideas would be nice. That way I feel like you could even incorporate a bit of their spirit and/or personality so they're different. But whatever speaks the most to you is what you should do. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results