shape
carat
color
clarity

A little advice please - flurescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mumbojumbo

Rough_Rock
Hi All

I''m just about to buy an engagement ring and I have a quick question before I do so. The ring is the Trilogy Roma ring from www.77diamonds.com and they are going to swap the round side stones out for princess cut ones for me and I''m having an asscher cut center stone. My price range allows me to go for around a 0.5ct center stone and I have a choice of 3. I have listed the specification for each diamond below and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. One of them has better colour and clarity but the flourescence is medium which is why I have posted this question. Am I better going for a lower grade colour and clarity with no flourescence?

Stone 1:
0.49ct, F, VS1, cut is fair, polish is very good, symmetry is good and the flourescence is none. (size is 4.17x4.23x3.31mm)

Stone 2:
0.48ct, F, VVS2, cut is good, polish is very good, symmetry is very good and the flourescence is medium. (size is 4.55x4.56x2.73)

Stone 3:
0.51, G, VS1, cut is good, polish is very good, symmetry is good and the flourescence is strong blue. (size is 4.42x4.44x2.84mm)

I don''t really know too much about diamonds but from what I''ve read I think stone 2 seems the best option but as said I don''t know about the flourescence side of things.

Many thanks in advance for anyones help on this matter.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Mumbo- congrats on getting a ring!

I glean from your post that the diamonds in question do not have GIA reports- meaning that the grades themselves may be questionable.
If the seller them self is calling a diamond''s cut "fair" that sounds like a red flag to me!

Any chance they''ll send photos to allow you to choose based on physical attributes?

mumbojumbo

Rough_Rock
Hi David

Many thanks for your reply. The diamonds are apparently GIA certified and do come with the certificate and I have googled the company and nothing bad about them seems to show.

So with that in mind which would you recommend?

Many thanks again for your advice.

cheers

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they have a GIA cert, can you please provide the following information for the HCA calculator?
Depth
Table
Crown angle
Pavilion angle
Culet
Girdle
Symmetry
Polish

Since all the stones you are looking at fall into the colourless range, fluorescence will not help them look any whiter. Most stones with fluoro are not an issue. There are rare cases where a strong or very strong fluoro stone exhibits an oily or milk look but this is on a stone by stone basis. In fact, you might see your stone (if with a strong blue fluoro) have a slight lavender tinge when outside on a sunny day.

Personally, a VVS stone is overkill. My sweet spot is a G VS2. Remember, it isn't the colour and clarity that make a diamond sparkle but the cut, so I'd be more fussy about the cut.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan for princess and asschers used together. Asschers are antique, princesses have a more modern look with the corners. And I'd not consider anything called a poor cut! If you notice the dimensions of the poor cut stone, they are quite a bit smaller that the other two, possibly due to a thick girdle. But you don't want to pay for carat weight taken up in the depth.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I missed the part that the rounds are coming out and these are princess cuts.
emembarrassed.gif

Well, the HCA won''t work then.

Princess cuts have tiny sparkles and an asscher has bold steps. The two looks are conflicting and should not be set next to each other. The princess will be too "bold" and make the asscher look "dull".

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 5:22:08 PM
Author:mumbojumbo
Hi All

I'm just about to buy an engagement ring and I have a quick question before I do so. The ring is the Trilogy Roma ring from www.77diamonds.com and they are going to swap the round side stones out for princess cut ones for me and I'm having an asscher cut center stone. My price range allows me to go for around a 0.5ct center stone and I have a choice of 3. I have listed the specification for each diamond below and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. One of them has better colour and clarity but the flourescence is medium which is why I have posted this question. Am I better going for a lower grade colour and clarity with no flourescence?

Stone 1:
0.49ct, F, VS1, cut is fair, polish is very good, symmetry is good and the flourescence is none. (size is 4.17x4.23x3.31mm)

Stone 2:
0.48ct, F, VVS2, cut is good, polish is very good, symmetry is very good and the flourescence is medium. (size is 4.55x4.56x2.73)

Stone 3:
0.51, G, VS1, cut is good, polish is very good, symmetry is good and the flourescence is strong blue. (size is 4.42x4.44x2.84mm)

I don't really know too much about diamonds but from what I've read I think stone 2 seems the best option but as said I don't know about the flourescence side of things.

Many thanks in advance for anyones help on this matter.
Are these GIA graded? Are they all Princess or asscher? I don't like the sound of fair cut....

No problem with fluorescence, only rarely strong or very strong blue can make a diamond look cloudy in some lights but this is unusual, check with the vendor.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/12/2009 5:56:29 PM
Author: mumbojumbo
Hi David

Many thanks for your reply. The diamonds are apparently GIA certified and do come with the certificate and I have googled the company and nothing bad about them seems to show.

So with that in mind which would you recommend?

Many thanks again for your advice.

cheers
HI Mumbo,
It's really not possible to glean the info you need without at least some good digital photos.
I'd ask the seller to provide some photos.
If the diamonds have GIA reports, I'd also ask the seller to email you copies.That's still not going to answer the question of which to buy, buy I'd ask anyway.

There's no question that setting Asschers and Princess Cuts together is not.....usual.
But if that's what you want, that's what you should get.
The first time someone asked us to make a ring with that combination, I also told them it was not thought to be a good combination.
Once the ring was done ( thankfully, the buyer did not listen to me, still choosing to have us set the Asschers and Princess cuts together) I was actually impressed with the results. Sometimes something not thought to be nice can be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results