shape
carat
color
clarity

A (literal) pain in the neck

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
So I got this purse because I wanted to try a crossbody:

Everybody raves about how wonderful they are; all your stuff is right there on your hip, both hands are free, no theft worry, etc.
I carry too much stuff on a daily basis, so I thought this would help me pare down. I went down to the absolute basics for me and it seemed to be working. Until I went on an extended errand day Friday. I kept switching sides until just taking the thing off and leaving it in the cart at Target. My neck was killing me and hurt all night.

Should I just give up on a crossbody? I realize the strap is thin.
Does anyone else have this problem? I realize it's not the end of the world and I've got plenty of other purses, but for some reason, I'm really disappointed.

b3264g_insgpatn.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't give up totally just yet. Yes the thin straps are murder, but I have one with a wide woven nylon strap, and provided I don't just load the crap out of the purse, I can go pretty well with it. And I have a bum neck. Oh, and it also helps if the purse itself is not massively heavy- LeSportsac makes some that are very light, wide straps, lots of compartments.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had some neck and shoulder problems too so my bags have got smaller and smaller over time. I now rely on a Coach Dinky and a Gucci Disco which I find cover all occasions. Both are Crossbody style but nice and light. I'm only carrying my wallet, a lipgloss and my keys though, have pretty much had to ditch everything else! If I need to carry more, I go for a nylon backpack........

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've found leather straps in particular to be painful around my neck for any period of time.

This is the purse I carry most days - a Kipling Sabian - I've refined what I "need" to carry so it fits nicely in here and I can easily pull stuff out as I need it - even my cell phone fits. And the strap is a wider woven strap which quickly and easily converts from cross-body to hand- or shoulder- length strap. Love love love this bag; I'm actually purchasing another in black and the gold one too, just to have in stock in my closet in case Kipling stops selling this model... http://www.kipling-usa.com/sabian-crossbody-minibag/AC7240.html?dwvar_AC7240_color=661

For travel, I use this Kipling Cadie satchel - it has handles and also a cross-body strap, but since I load it up more which equals heavier, I find I use the tote handles more often than the cross-body strap - http://www.kipling-usa.com/cadie-satchel/HB6599.html?dwvar_HB6599_color=001#uuid=bcLZ2iaagZPeaaaadfH1E97DPm Even when traveling though, I pack my little Sabian purse (empty) in my luggage, so I have it for day-to-day use.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've used this for three years now.http://www.zappos.com/baggallini-everyday-bagg-pacific I have it in black. Easy to clean, stick it in the washer. There's a front section for money and cards so I don't carry a separate wallet anymore. It fits quite a bit, more than I thought it would, and I've pared down so much that I can get away w/something even smaller if need be.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marymm, those are really nice looking for being so lightweight! I've never heard of, or seen that brand. Thanks for posting links. :)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1463939782|4034832 said:
Marymm, those are really nice looking for being so lightweight! I've never heard of, or seen that brand. Thanks for posting links. :)

You're welcome!

FYI: Both Amazon and Zappos also carry Kipling - I particularly appreciate the Zappos videos - and I tend to order from whichever website has the colors I want in stock and has the lowest price overall at the time I'm ordering. And, Macy's carries Kipling; I bought my first Kipling in a Macy's store some years back.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1463941204|4034839 said:
ksinger|1463939782|4034832 said:

You're welcome!

FYI: Both Amazon and Zappos also carry Kipling - I particularly appreciate the Zappos videos - and I tend to order from whichever website has the colors I want in stock and has the lowest price overall at the time I'm ordering.

OK, that's amusing. Late last summer I was cruising Zappo's looking for a lightweight purse that was as big as possible but not too big, for our October trip to Ireland. I must have looked at a million purses. I'm not sure how I didn't key in on Kipling. I WAS filtering pretty hard on specific weight and size criteria, and I guess I got fixated after a while, on the LeSportsac line. :))

And yeah, Zappo's videos were a huge help in envisioning size and storage capacity.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm amazed and jealous how some of you can carry such small bags.

+1 on Zappos' videos. QVC's can also be helpful if they carry what you're looking for.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I have a D&B pebble grain crossbody and it drives me crazy for totally different reasons! I use it mostly because of its size. It doesn't bother my neck at all but I don't carry much in it besides phone/keys/$. I don't like how it migrates from the side of my hip to the front of my thigh as I walk, nor do I appreciate it swinging around if I bend down to pick something up, etc. It's like wearing a pendulum or a tetherball or something!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
monarch, that's very interesting. My brother and I got my mom the pebble grain for Christmas, but I don't know if she's used it yet. She wanted it for vacations.
I use a Vera Bradley little hipster on airplanes and it's perfect. The only time it leaves my body is when I'm going through security.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have neck / shoulder issues too, following a break to a vertebrae almost 9 years ago that resulted in nerve & muscle damage. If I carry a handbag or shoulder bag that is too big & heavy, then the muscles apply pressure to the damaged nerves, resulting in horrible pain in one of my temples (complicated!).

I have found cross body bags a godsend for me. I have struggled to find the right ones, but now use ones with wide hessian straps. The ones I use everyday are the Mulberry 'Martha' and Mulberry 'Antony' in medium size. The Antony is much lighter in itself than the Martha, so I have to be careful not to load up Martha & use Antony if I am going to be out carrying a bag all day.

I feel your pain in the neck & hope you manage to find a bag that works. Generally over the years I have learned that wider straps are significantly more comfy.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend trying a crossbody bag that is made from a lighter material, like a nylon, and has a wider strap.
Kipling, baggalini, and leSportsac are great suggestions!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PB, I think the one Texaskj posted IS nylon.

Texaskj, have you noticed neck pain with anything else? Do you think you might have some muscle/spine/nerve issues and this could be exacerbating the problem? Alex T talked about nerve damage, and my mom has never been able to carry a handbag for long no matter the size or style because of damage that occurred to her neck when she fell at a young age. Just wondering if there could be an underlying issue--not necessarily an injury you'd remember, even sitting too long at a computer or some other repetitive movement or not enough movement.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1464019386|4035217 said:
PB, I think the one Texaskj posted IS nylon.

Texaskj, have you noticed neck pain with anything else? Do you think you might have some muscle/spine/nerve issues and this could be exacerbating the problem? Alex T talked about nerve damage, and my mom has never been able to carry a handbag for long no matter the size or style because of damage that occurred to her neck when she fell at a young age. Just wondering if there could be an underlying issue--not necessarily an injury you'd remember, even sitting too long at a computer or some other repetitive movement or not enough movement.
Oh snap, Monnie - thanks for clarifying! I haven't D&B in a while, so I assumed it was leather! Then my suggestion is to go with a wider band. When I used to carry a netbook + casebooks to work (sneak in some study time at lunch before night school), I couldn't carry a longchamp bag because the straps were thinner and leather and they bore into my shoulder. Once I switched to the herve chapelier with the wider handle, my shoulder was happier.

I'm thinking that a wider strap will distribute the weight of the bag better, versus a narrow one that may pinch a nerve.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Sherpani I got at REI, but I don't think they carry the brand any more. It's super durable and lightweight. Very functional. Not as cute as the leather cross body bags, but the lighter weight is worth it.

I suggest also shopping for a tote that the cross body easily fits into the next time you buy one. Cross body bags really force you to pare down so I have a cute go to tote that I can slip the bag in and add a few items for when I need to carry more. Saves you from swapping stuff out and accidentally forgetting something.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Monarch and Pinto, you're right, the bag is nylon and is very light; it's all the stuff I carry that weighs so much. What's weird is I can carry a ton of weight with a regular shoulder bag. I guess it's because it's sitting on my shoulder on the bone; not the crook of my neck.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, especially the first-hand knowledge of wider straps. (I think the above bag is destined for Ebay or Loupe Troop.)
I found this on Zappos:
http://www.zappos.com/kavu-sydney-satchel-navy
Thoughts?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I freakin' love Kavu! But I'm biased--was one of my vendors a few years ago when I was buying for an outdoor adventure store. I do think it's a good bag to try. If you hate it, return it. It's probably not much lighter than the D&B, but the strap might be more comfy.

Let us know what you think!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texaskj, I always make sure the strap from my cross body bags are NOT sitting by my neck, but instead further towards the edge of my shoulder. Having it press into those neck muscles is a killer. Try sliding the strap further down your colllar bone :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results