shape
carat
color
clarity

A lavender Master bedroom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dear PSers!

We are going to paint the upstairs rooms in our house over this holiday. I was wondering if any of you may provide some feedback on converting a beige color master bedroom into a lavender one? Our master bedroom is relatively large and is open into the master bath through a no-door hallway, so the bathroom will be painted purplish in shade too.

Do you have any pictures you can share with me to give me some mental preparation of how lavender will look in such a important room in the house? Is there a favorite lavender color out there that you will recommend?

Thank you so much! :)
36.gif

Zhuzhu

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I had a photo for you, but I don''t! We were renting, so not incredibly attached. BUT we had lovely lavender walls. Now, to make df not feel like he was sleeping in too girly a space, it was actually quite modern in feel. We combined the lavender walls with dark wood furniture and white airy curtains, light-med wood floors. It was very peaceful/quiet. Go for it!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would recommend a silvery lavender over a really purple lavender. Really purple lavender reminds me of a little girls room whereas a silvery lavender can look really chic in an adult room.

Benjamin Moore''s lavender lipstick is a nice color.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I was listening to the radio yesterday and the color people associate most with "sexiness" is purple.

so sounds like fun times ahead for you!

Heidi137

Shiny_Rock
I would highly recommend Purple Lace by Benjamin Moore. We have this in one of our bedrooms.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 9:35:59 PM
Author: neatfreak
I would recommend a silvery lavender over a really purple lavender. Really purple lavender reminds me of a little girls room whereas a silvery lavender can look really chic in an adult room.

Benjamin Moore''s lavender lipstick is a nice color.

I agree a nice silver lavender. No way would my hubby be happy in a light purple room! ha!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
This is wood violet from BM. It came out lighter than anticipated, but is the perfect shade of muted brownish/greyish lavendar.

greylavbedroom2.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I was going to suggest grey walls with the lavendar/purple bedding. Sounds wicked romantic!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Zhuzhu,

As you''re looking at swatches, check out Glidden''s "Swan Song" (available @Home Depot). It''s a beautiful cool-yet-not cold lavender color, has a more adult sophistication than many in that hue, and I liked it so much that I have re-used the color in successive homes. It rests pretty close to the balancing point between silvery greys and deep plums. It surprisingly works well in the cool winter light of NYC as well as the golden hued sunshine of southern CA.

The color information, if you want it recreated by one of the companies that recreates other company''s colors but using Benjamin Moore paints, is: Glidden™ 30RB65/051 Swan Song.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d have to check down in the garage to see what color/brand our paint is. We have a lavendar shade on the wall behind our headboard. It creates color without going overboard.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I painted our guest room violet over the summer.... it''s not really violet, more like muted purple kissed with silver. The color is Silverberry by Behr. I tried A LOT of colors before settling with this one... not too blue, not to purple, not too pink... very pretty and very soothing. I will try to upload a picture of the finished room.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think lavenders/purples are a fantastic color scheme for master bedrooms! I''m excited to see how yours turns out, Zhu!

Lavender/purple reminds me of: Prince, sex, opulence, decadence, royalty, and fun!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
The color shows up much more purple than it is... the flash did that. It''s very pretty and calm in natural light....

Good luck and enjoy painting!! I love it!
9.gif

guestroom1.GIF

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Just want to pop in to say thank you to you all~ ! I have not had time to review all the color recommendations in person yet, but I agree that silvery, light lavender will be more calming and gender-neutral. So far HomeDepo Behr has a color named iced mauve that looks very calm...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fisher, your room looks great!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Using the Behr online preview software, this is what a bedroom with dark wood floor with iced mauve looks like.....
Is it too pink?

Icedmauve.JPG

Heidi137

Shiny_Rock
Lavender Ice by Benjamin Moore might work well if you prefer a lavendar with some gray in it.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
greyish lavender would be perfect... soothing and sophisticated.. go for a muted color

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 8:57:44 PM
Author: zhuzhu
Using the Behr online preview software, this is what a bedroom with dark wood floor with iced mauve looks like.....

Is it too pink?

You really need to test it in your own room. It always looks different. But in a bright room like that one yes I think it looks too pink.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
too pink.
go to home depot(or preferably Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams) and pick up a lot of samples of all the lavender(especially grayer than you think Lavender)and tape them to the wall. Leave a day or two and look at them periodically through the day and night and then start eliminating them one by one.
btw, Lavender can lean either pink or blue and I would try to find the bluer side.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to ditto others' suggestion for gray walls and lavender accents. I know it's not a bedroom but just looking at the color palette. Even though the color is on the more pink side of lavender, I think it can work in this context. So pretty:

lavend1.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
A bluer lavender that I think is both subtle and pretty. The key to the lavender is to unsweeten it a little bit with more masculine elements like the dark wood furniture and the menswear stripe in the ottomans.

lavend2.jpg

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Our bedroom gets a LOT of light in during the day, and it has pretty off-white silk curtains with light green accent. I like the color posted by Heraanderson posted above, maybe just slightly lighter in shade?

The tricky part is on deciding what exact shade is best~! What a commitment~!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 8:57:44 PM

Is it too pink?

Too pink IMO. It's more orchid than lavender.

What do you think of the second shade Hera posted, @12:17? If that's kind of the direction you wish to head, I second my earlier Swan Song rec., also available @HD.
2.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 12:14:35 AM
Author: heraanderson
I''m going to ditto others'' suggestion for gray walls and lavender accents. I know it''s not a bedroom but just looking at the color palette. Even though the color is on the more pink side of lavender, I think it can work in this context. So pretty:

Irrelevant of whether it works for zhuzhu, I just wanted to tell you how beautiful I think the grey room you posted looks all-around. You have such great design taste, Hera!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 2:00:51 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Date: 12/16/2009 12:14:35 AM

Author: heraanderson

I''m going to ditto others'' suggestion for gray walls and lavender accents. I know it''s not a bedroom but just looking at the color palette. Even though the color is on the more pink side of lavender, I think it can work in this context. So pretty:

Irrelevant of whether it works for zhuzhu, I just wanted to tell you how beautiful I think the grey room you posted looks all-around. You have such great design taste, Hera!

Thank you! I think that room is beautiful too. Unfortunately, lavender would not fly in my house with my husband. I guess I''ll have to live vicariously through Zhuzhu!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 7:56:40 PM
Author: fisherofmengirly
The color shows up much more purple than it is... the flash did that. It''s very pretty and calm in natural light....

Good luck and enjoy painting!! I love it!
9.gif

Hi Fisherofmengirly,

This is the program generated room look with Behr Silverberry color you recommended. Does it close to your room in real life?

Everyone, how do you like this color in a room with lots of light through the window and oak floor? I like the hue of it, but think maybe a shade lighter? Will that be too grey if I make it lighter?

Thanks~

silverberryz.JPG

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
This is one shade lighter, called Lilac Mauve....

LilacMauve.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2009 5:41:39 PM
This is one shade lighter, called Lilac Mauve....
do you think you can mix up some grey/blue tint in the color too? still looks a bit more on the feminine side but its just my personal opinion though

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results