shape
carat
color
clarity

A. Jaffe Bezel: Will a 61 pt diamond look small?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hanione

Rough_Rock
I am getting my 61-pt, E, IF diamond reset and a new wedding band to match. I like halos but worry about durability. Then I found these A. Jaffe styles (pics below). Would the bezel make my stone look smaller? Exactly how much stone do you lose with a bezel?

AJaffe_MRS057_MES057.jpg

hanione

Rough_Rock
And another...

AJaffe_MRS078_MES066.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe a bezel setting would make yr stone bigger, not smaller.

Looks lovely btw.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree too - it should make it look bigger - I love the setting!!

hanione

Rough_Rock
Thanks...I know I could swap my perfect little guy for a bigger stone at lower color/clarity, but I don''t want to do that. Nevertheless, I know I can''t compete visually with these gals and their 1.5 ct stones in simple prong settings and eternity bands.

That''s one of the reasons I''m thinking of something a little different for my new setting. I like the added sparkle on the sides from the pave on the bezel.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think that setting would be the perfect way to showcase your perfect diamond!!

widget

metro

Brilliant_Rock
I think your diamond would look great in this setting!

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
Jaffe rings are nice (and I mean the old denotation of nice: precise). I'd be afraid of a bezel smothering the stone normally, but that one lets light in from beneith. Also, .4mm (.2 all the way around) is usually covered. Maisiebelle, I think has the right idea: that it is a larger setting for the stone.

What I like is that there are no prongs to catch.

hanione

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 10:22:02 AM
Author: bujiatang
Jaffe rings are nice (and I mean the old denotation of nice: precise). I''d be afraid of a bezel smothering the stone normally, but that one lets light in from beneith. Also, .4mm (.2 all the way around) is usually covered. Maisiebelle, I think has the right idea: that it is a larger setting for the stone.

What I like is that there are no prongs to catch.
Do/did you own a Jaffe? I''ve seen some bezels that look like a big wad of metal was smashed over the top of the girdle. I want something a little more refined. I''m also liking the idea of no more fuzz/hair stuck in my prongs!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most find that the stone looks much bigger after putting it into a bezel. Even though a small amount of the diamond can''t be seen, the bezels adds a visual illusion of a larger diamond. There are some threads about halos that made the diamond look larger, and the effect is simiar but not quite as dramatic for a bezels.

hanione

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 12:03:32 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Most find that the stone looks much bigger after putting it into a bezel. Even though a small amount of the diamond can''t be seen, the bezels adds a visual illusion of a larger diamond. There are some threads about halos that made the diamond look larger, and the effect is simiar but not quite as dramatic for a bezels.
Yeah, I''ve seen the halos, and they''re gorgeous, but there''s also a lot of mixed advice on whether all-over pave is durable enough for everyday where (e.g. Ritani endless love).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 8:33:43 AM
Author:hanione
I am getting my 61-pt, E, IF diamond reset and a new wedding band to match. I like halos but worry about durability. Then I found these A. Jaffe styles (pics below). Would the bezel make my stone look smaller? Exactly how much stone do you lose with a bezel?
okay here are my honest thoughts... and really they''re more questions except that I prefer the first pic over the second pic - I like the contrast of the plain band between two melee bands... and I really do like the setting...

so my questions are:

how wide are the bands?
How wide is your stone?
maybe someone will photoshop what your stone would look like if you know the answers to the first two...

then you can see for yourself if you like it!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them both, but the first one is my favorite!

hanione

Rough_Rock
Oooh, photoshop would be awesome!

A few quick calculations and guesses on the photos:

I''m guessing it''s a 1ct-ish diamond, because that''s how these rings always seem to be pictured. Then, based on the size ratio of the stone and band in the image, the band would be 2mm, which makes sense to me.

My stone is 61 pts, about 5.5 mm.

Also, if some wonderful person is going to help me with this, would it be possible to see the sets without and without the third band? I''m not sure if I would want three rings or not...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
hanione, here is approximately how 5,5 mm diameter diamond would look on 2mm band.

calcbezel.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 8:46:08 AM
Author: hanione
Oooh, photoshop would be awesome!

A few quick calculations and guesses on the photos:

I''m guessing it''s a 1ct-ish diamond, because that''s how these rings always seem to be pictured. Then, based on the size ratio of the stone and band in the image, the band would be 2mm, which makes sense to me.

My stone is 61 pts, about 5.5 mm.

Also, if some wonderful person is going to help me with this, would it be possible to see the sets without and without the third band? I''m not sure if I would want three rings or not...
here''s my honest opinion about this LOL I''d do three rings... I love the balance of it! Plus I think it would frame your stone better.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I think this would be fab with your stone...Yes, that''s an honest opinion
28.gif
I love it even more with the bands flanking it!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the FIRST setting is the *PERFECT* choice for your gosh darn near PERFECT diamond! You mentioned on your other thread that you're a Khaki's gal ... well I think this looks clean & classic and crisp from the top view (w/ great proportions as show in Irinia's photoshop) -- and -- a little BLING from the sideview. Like a sweet suprise.

Paired with one of it's coordinating diamond bands -- or flanked by TWO ... it's a total knockout winner - so hope you do it & post many pix!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 11:12:30 AM
Author: Pricescope
hanione, here is approximately how 5,5 mm diameter diamond would look on 2mm band.
based on the photoshop pic from the moderator, I''d have to say that I think the 3 bands would overwhelm the stone.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great photoshop!!! I like it ... hmmm ... would look great with both or one ... just different ...

One diamond band + that e-ring = classic yet modern
Two diamond bands flanking that e-ring = funkier & bolder but still clean & cool

Just depends on which you prefer ... though, you COULD *start* with one & then add another later?? Best of both worlds ... could switch it up as desired??
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that look. But as Deco said you can do one band now, and add another down the road if you wish. It''s a lovely setting.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I saw your other thread on honest opinions and thought I''d pop over here to contribute. I think the setting you picked out is beautiful and would compliment your stone nicely. Particularly on a small hand I think that setting could really pop. If you''re still looking for an idea of scale, my stone is almost exactly the same size as yours and is half-bezel set in a 5mm band, so three 2mm bands would be just a smidge larger. Is there anywhere you can see it in person with a stone near your size? Good luck!

Roll 50 - 4.jpg

hanione

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the amazing photoshop treatment. I really do like that setting, even scaled down for the "small" stone. In fact, it''s the first setting I''ve liked for more than 2 days in a row! I guess that''s a good sign...

I do like the idea of switching between two and three rings...you know, 2 at the office, 3 on the weekend sort of thing.

Merco, I do like the half-bezel, but my sister has a half carat stone in the Tiffany Etoile setting and I don''t want to be too matchy matchy with her.

Oh, and regarding the small hands thing, my ring size is a 6.75, but is only because I have freakishly large knucles. I''m actually a pretty small person and my rings spin and flop all over the place, even though they barely fit over the joint.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the first setting too and like the idea of mixing and matching one or two bands..

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 8:31:47 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I like the first setting too and like the idea of mixing and matching one or two bands..
nahhh get three bands... two with diamonds and one plain... that wa you can really mix and match - even wearing the three bands together without the solitaire... or just a plain band and the e-ring... or... or... hehehe...

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I just about got that setting with the diamond under and around the bottom of the bezel (Solomon Bros. had the best price at the time ~ several yrs ago) and I tried it on in the store and just fell in love with it!

It''s way better *live* than it is in a pic! More substantial, but still dainty...The one I tried on had a 1ct sim in it, and it looked pretty darn big compared to the other solitaire 1ct! I think A Jaffe makes several really nice pieces!

I went the custom route instead with no regrets, but that was the one that I kept going back to the store to try on one more time!

Lovely...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 3:54:45 PM
Author: Pricescope
here
35.gif
The mockup looks lovely, a beautiful size and set!

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 6:41:09 PM
Author: hanione

I do like the idea of switching between two and three rings...you know, 2 at the office, 3 on the weekend sort of thing.
Hanione! I think the first Jaffe setting is absolutely fantastic! It will be just perfect with the stone you have! I also love the idea of switching between 2 to 3 rings! It will be so much fun! You will have to post pictures once you have set your stone in a new setting along with your diamond bands!!! I cannot wait!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results